Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official NBA Thread

The Official NBA Thread

Playoffs are approaching and jockeying for position is ongoing. I expect more discussions in the upcoming weeks.

Carmelo dropped 50 on the Heat last night with zero attempts from the block. Following last nights performance on pace to have back-to-back 50 nights against the Hawks. He has 32 on 13-18 with 4:00 left in the third.

Melo ends up with 40 on 17-27 from the field and 5-6 on FT. 90 points in 2 games.

I love the end of the NBA season because of the players that come out of nowhere to post crazy stats. How about Tobias Harris who was warming the bench in Milwaukee and now averaging 17 and 9 over the last ten games with the Magic. Throw in over a block and a steal per game and it looks like the Magic got a steal.

nice first half for Miller (11 points) and Bogut (12 points),

Anybody watching game 3 right now? I want the Spurs to win this series badly.

Spurs are playing great at the moment. They need to keep the Turnovers down though. The Heat live off of turnovers.

Michael Wilbon just reminded me that this is David Stern's last season. I approve of this message.

Wow... Gary Neal is on fire!!! Spurs up big.

Can the Spurs win two in a row? If they can...series over
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Can the Spurs win two in a row? If they can...series over
    The Heat won't lose three straight. I suspect they'll steal one in San Antonio much like the Spurs stole Game 1 in Miami.

Also, only four teams in the history of the 2-3-2 format have won all of the home middle games (Detroit 2004, Miami 2006, 2012). Houston in 1995 swept Orlando and didn't play Game 5. I think Miami is too good to lose three straight.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    The Heat won't lose three straight. I suspect they'll steal one in San Antonio much like the Spurs stole Game 1 in Miami.

Also, only four teams in the history of the 2-3-2 format have won all of the home middle games (Detroit 2004, Miami 2006, 2012). Houston in 1995 swept Orlando and didn't play Game 5. I think Miami is too good to lose three straight.
    As are the Spurs. That its why I think if they win game 4, Miami won't beat them 3 straight. Spurs in 6. If the Heat win game 4, it will go 7, and hard to say who pulls it out. Pops and the Spurs are three one team that I think can win a game 7 on the road.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Apparently Tony Parker needs an MRI on his Hamstring today. I really hope this is a form of smokescreen coming from Popovich. The Spurs will be in a lot of trouble if they need Manu to become the primary initiator on the offensive end. He has been playing out of control and erratic this series.

I can see this series ending in 5,6,7 for either team, although 5 for the Heat is a bit out of reach at this point. This series feels unpredictable to me. I would have never guessed there would be back to back blowouts, and I would have never guessed that Danny Green would become the next Reggie Miller.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskyPriest View Post
    Apparently Tony Parker needs an MRI on his Hamstring today. I really hope this is a form of smokescreen coming from Popovich. The Spurs will be in a lot of trouble if they need Manu to become the primary initiator on the offensive end. He has been playing out of control and erratic this series.
    That could be a series killer if he is hurt bad enough to limit his penetration. I how he is ok. With him health, this series had the chance to be an all time great one.
    André Gide

Last night was a rough night. I think the Spurs are officially in a must-win situation for game five. I just can't envision them beating Miami twice on Miami's homecourt.

Hope they turn it around tomorrow. I want to see 7 games. Without a Spurs win, that is highly unlikely.
    André Gide

The Spurs are in a must-win situation tomorrow night, but I think they will be able to beat the Heat.

By the way, Dwayne Wade played fantastic in game 4. He made a few moves that looked like vintage D-Wade. If Wade plays like that again in game 5 this series might only go six games.

Spurs off to a quick start giving then a 9 point halftime lead
    André Gide

Andre Miller should overtake Rod Strickland for 9th place on the NBA all-time assists leader sometime this month.

Gary Payton's sits in 8th place but it would take a couple more seasons to catch him.

Wonder what the 13-letter word was?
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...nce-frank-loss
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Wonder what the 13-letter word was?
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...nce-frank-loss
    Present participle (-ing ending) of a compound word involving a parent and an action. That's my guess.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Kobe out for 6 weeks w/ a fractured tibia.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe they should start tanking for Wiggins.
    You betcha. Add the Lakers to the list of contenders. Someone might need to suggest that Trey Burke "fracture a tibia" if the Jazz want to make this season worthwhile.

I'm going to make a not so bold prediction.

With the insane number of underclassman opting for the NBA this year, I'll predict "the Jimmer" has already seen his last minutes as an NBA Player.

Nothing wrong with making some Euro's, they spend as easily as US Dollars.

I watched only 1 regular season game this year, but I've watched a dozen or so playoff games. They have been very entertaining. Last night's game 2 was great from start to finish. LeBron vs a completely better team is fascinating. I hope he gets the three-peat.
    The NBA is in great shape right now - I don't understand people that say the NBA is broken. It is as entertaining as it has ever been.

The Spurs are amazing to watch on offense and Lebron is making it clear that it's him and Jordan for G.O.A.T. I really love this series.

Why is it so hard to believe that Jabari Parker could learn to play good defense? He has the physical tools, right? Rick the Pick used to say that anyone could learn to defend.
    His lateral athleticism is not that great. He can be an adequate defender one day, but he'll never be a rim protecting big man. Wiggins, on the other hand, could step in and be a great NBA defender fairly quickly and eventually become an elite defender.

So now the Atlanta Hawks (or a part thereof) are for sale.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...n-selling-team

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    So now the Atlanta Hawks (or a part thereof) are for sale.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11...n-selling-team

Racist owners are making a lot of money these days by selling their franchises.

Bogut about to tip off.

Is Bogut the greatest Australian basketball player of all time?

If so, the greatest Australian and the greatest Austrian both played for Utah.
    He may be the greatest Aussie player of all time, but Luc Longley holds the title for best Aussie basketball player hair of all time and it isn't even close.

http://www.tradingcarddb.com/Images/...64889-54Fr.jpg