Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: The Official NBA Thread

would Bogut have made any difference for the Cavs? Couldnt have been worse than TT

p.s. Deron Williams sure appears washed up.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    would Bogut have made any difference for the Cavs?
    Yes. Bogut is a rebounder, and he's mean. He would have been harder for Green. With Bogut, Warriors in 6 instead of 5.

Lonzo Ball finally gets a little shoe money rolling in by trolling his dad.

https://youtu.be/iPteUZfRrKw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Faux Pelini talks NBA draft. Great stuff.

https://sethsdrafthouse.com/the-curs...k-41c5c287435f

Some interesting developments over the weekend as we get set for the draft this week....

The Jazz twitterverse got up in arms when it was announced that Boston had traded the top pick to Philly, clearing a little more than a million in salary cap to up any offers to free agents (including Gordon Hayward) this offseason.

I get that, but I dont see it that way. Unless other trades go down, Philly takes Markelle Fultz and Lakers take Lonzo Ball (although there is a lot of uncertainty there). That gives Boston a crack at Jackson or Tatum, both 3's with high upside. Hard to see the Celtics going all in on a guy like that in the draft and then going all in on a long term deal for a guy who plays teh same position.

Also, the Paul George news is fascinating. I could see Cleveland taking a flyer on him on a one year rental and going all in on beating GSW next year.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Some interesting developments over the weekend as we get set for the draft this week....

The Jazz twitterverse got up in arms when it was announced that Boston had traded the top pick to Philly, clearing a little more than a million in salary cap to up any offers to free agents (including Gordon Hayward) this offseason.

I get that, but I dont see it that way. Unless other trades go down, Philly takes Markelle Fultz and Lakers take Lonzo Ball (although there is a lot of uncertainty there). That gives Boston a crack at Jackson or Tatum, both 3's with high upside. Hard to see the Celtics going all in on a guy like that in the draft and then going all in on a long term deal for a guy who plays teh same position.

Also, the Paul George news is fascinating. I could see Cleveland taking a flyer on him on a one year rental and going all in on beating GSW next year.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson or Tatum becomes part of a trade, where Hayward signs a max agreement with Utah, and gets traded to the Celts for picks and players. I don't think Ainge would have done that trade with the intention of keeping the pick. he is going after an established player, either Hayward or Jimmy Butler, or both, to challenge LBJ now, and succeed him when he goes to the Lakers (with PG).

I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson or Tatum becomes part of a trade, where Hayward signs a max agreement with Utah, and gets traded to the Celts for picks and players. I don't think Ainge would have done that trade with the intention of keeping the pick. he is going after an established player, either Hayward or Jimmy Butler, or both, to challenge LBJ now, and succeed him when he goes to the Lakers (with PG).
    That seems crazy to me. You do that if Hayward or Butler or both is enough to start competing for titles, but they aren't. You have a good, young team. Draft Tatum/Jackson and prepare to compete in the post-LeBron East that is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    That seems crazy to me. You do that if Hayward or Butler or both is enough to start competing for titles, but they aren't. You have a good, young team. Draft Tatum/Jackson and prepare to compete in the post-LeBron East that is coming.

You might be right. But if the Celts were playing for the future, they would have kept Fultz instead of basically committing to IT. I have read a bunch of reports saying their goal is to pair Butler and Hayward, and use Butler as an enticement for hayward, and if they cant get both they at least get one. The future is now--by the time the Celts eclipse the Cavs, they may be eclipsed by the 76ers.

Perhaps drafting jackson/tatum is a way for them to hedge. If Hayward stays or goes to Miami, then they have a SF who can develop and be a piece of something better in 2-3 years. If Hayward signs, they can use whichever player they draft in a trade for Butler or to upgrade the front court.

A lot of people seem to think that LeBron will bolt after next year. I dont think we are there by any means, but I dont think it will be too long before LeBron isn't LeBron anymore.

You might be right. But if the Celts were playing for the future, they would have kept Fultz instead of basically committing to IT. I have read a bunch of reports saying their goal is to pair Butler and Hayward, and use Butler as an enticement for hayward, and if they cant get both they at least get one. The future is now--by the time the Celts eclipse the Cavs, they may be eclipsed by the 76ers.
    I guess it depends on what you think of Hayward. I don't see the Hayward/Butler combo as a title team. Maybe they think he's still on the rise.

FiveThirtyEight says Durant was just an insurance policy for the Warriors.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-be-this-good/

Phil Jackson has let it be known that he is potentially looking to trade KP and has met with Markannen as a replacement.

NBA Player Phil Jackson was tough as nails and a terrific role player
    NBA Coach Phil Jackson caused me a lot of pain.
    NBA GM Phil Jackson has shown a breathtaking level of incompetence. And it has caused me much joy.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Phil Jackson has let it be known that he is potentially looking to trade KP and has met with Markannen as a replacement.

NBA Player Phil Jackson was tough as nails and a terrific role player
    NBA Coach Phil Jackson caused me a lot of pain.
    NBA GM Phil Jackson has shown a breathtaking level of incompetence. And it has caused me much joy.
    The Latvian gang banger is on the market? Favors and the 2 picks for him!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mormon Red Death; 06-20-2017 at 11:58 AM.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Dwight Howard traded to Charlotte in what is essentially a salary dump. I always found him overrated, especially on defense, but his fall from grace seems to have come quickly.

I haven't rooted for the Lakers in a while. This will be fun. Go get 'em, Kuz.

I haven't rooted for the Lakers in a while. This will be fun. Go get 'em, Kuz.
    Didn't he get picked by Brooklyn?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Didn't he get picked by Brooklyn?
    Yes, but the Nets picked him for the Lakers. A trade.

Also, seems the Jazz really fleeced Denver. Moved up into the lottery for just Trey Lyles. How am I suppoed to root for the Nuggest if they are doing stuff like that?

Warriors trade for Jordan Bell. That sure seems like a good fit.

Brooks, Dorsey, Rabb and some UCLA all taken in round 2. Pretty awesome that Kuzma went ahead of all those guys.

If Magic actually can lure LeBron to L.A. next year, Kuz could be on a really interesting squad.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Warriors trade for Jordan Bell. That sure seems like a good fit.
    Everything's a good fit when your team is as loaded as GS.

is it just me or does the NBA draft have all of the intrigue of a Winnemucca home town festival. Every 3rd pick was traded to another team, 5 minutes later.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    is it just me or does the NBA draft have all of the intrigue of a Winnemucca home town festival. Every 3rd pick was traded to another team, 5 minutes later.
    Plus 90% of the draftees are never heard from again. Its amazing how you can go down the draft lists from prior years and not recognize most of the names, unless thay have been pricked as the wrost draft choice ever.

The real problem with the NBA is that one or two players makes all the difference in the league and on a team. You either have one of those guys or you dont. its not like baseball or football, where you really have to build an entire team, and one or two players doesnt determine your destiny. (ok, you have to have a good qb in football, but you can win a championship without the one or two best.)

Also, seems the Jazz really fleeced Denver. Moved up into the lottery for just Trey Lyles. How am I suppoed to root for the Nuggest if they are doing stuff like that?

And Bradley >> >>Bam Adebeyo. I've seen them both up close. Jazz did ok last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    And Bradley >> >>Bam Adebeyo. I've seen them both up close. Jazz did ok last night.
    I haven't seen either close up, but I've seen them both on TV. I agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post

Time will tell how well we did. Dennis Lindsay drafted Gobert, which should be enough to keep his job forever. However, he whiffed on Trey Burke and Trey Lyles (lesson to be learned: don't draft Treys in the lottery). And I think you and I agree that Exum ultimately will be a bust. Jury still out on Hood.

Trey Lyles really hurts because everybody in the world except Dennis Lindsay wanted to take Devin Booker and was disappointed when he didn't. Booker probably would have played a lot the last two years, with all the injuries, and proved himself.
    Last edited by concerned; 06-23-2017 at 01:10 PM.

And I think you and I agree that Exum ultimately will be a bust.
    Is the jury still out on this? I think we can just go ahead and call him a bust, right?

Time will tell, but the fact that they got into the lottery for peanuts is pretty good. Mitchell may bust, but the Jazz had better odds with him than with Lyles + 24.

Not sure what the Nuggets were thinking.

Is the jury still out on this? I
    not as far as I am concerned.

Watched my first NBA of the year last night. Pelicans/Blazers.

Here's the playoffs:

Pacers/Cavs. Go Cavs. If the Raptors don't get to the finals, the Cavs are the next most interesting option.
    Jazz/Thunder. Go Jazz, but it's close. Westbrook just averaged a triple double AGAIN. I'm giving him the MVP every year until he doesn't average a triple double. I would love to see him beat the Warriors or Rockets.
    TWolves/Rockets. As much as I love the beard, I can't stand stars like Harden who get so many of their points on the line. It's just not fun.
    Sixers/Heat. I like Embiid, but I would love to see an 80 year old DWade keep playing well.
    Blazers/Pelicans. Go unibrow. Nothing really interesting about the blazers.
    Warriors/Spurs. I don't think it matters who I'm rooting for. Warriors advance.
    Raptors/Wizards. Toronto is the favorite of Ute fans everywhere.
    Celtics/Bucks. Gotta root for the Greek.

My brother, who lives in SLC, couldn't watch the Jazz on Dish last night because it was blacked out. Can someone explain that to me? I've never understood black out rules.

Nationally, it was on NBATV. Locally, it was on AT&T Sports. I guess as a result, NBATV blacked out the broadcast so that it could only be viewed on AT&T Sports.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.