Thread: The Homemade Ice Cream Thread

The Homemade Ice Cream Thread

Summer is coming and with it homemade ice cream season. Please post recipes here!

This is a recipe I have used with great success. It is easy and involves no cooking:

Basic Ice Cream with Fresh Fruit

2 cups half and half
    1 cup cream
    1 can sweetened condensed milk
    1 tsp vanillla
    mix all and chill well
    freeze according to maker instructions

Fruit addition options:

Add 2 ripe bananas, smashed, or 1 cup smashed strawberries with 1 tsp lemon juice when almost completely frozen. I love the strawberry recipe. You could probably put in 1 banana and 1/2 cup of strawberries if you want a mixed-flavor ice cream. I haven't experimented with other fruits but I am sure they'd work. Someday I'll try adding chocolate.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The Homemade Ice Cream Thread

I have a great freezer that gets used a lot each summer. I have a very simple vanilla recipe that I vary from w Oreos and Reese's and fruits and mint w green food coloring etc. what I don't have is a really good chocolate recipe. I usually just dump in a bunch or Hershey's chocolate syrup and that's it. Tastes okay but it isn't great.

Anyone have a good chocolate ice cream recipe?

Here's a chocolate recipe that seems pretty easy, but does require some cooking:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/28645-ri...late-ice-cream

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Another chocolate recipe - this one is simple, kind of like the first one I posted.

1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    1 (5-ounce) can evaporated milk
    2 cups whole chocolate milk
    2/3 cup chocolate syrup

Whisk all ingredients in a 2-quart pitcher or large bowl until blended. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
    Pour milk mixture into freezer container of a 1-quart electric ice-cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. (Instructions and times will vary.)

Remove container with ice cream from ice-cream maker, and place in freezer 15 minutes. Transfer to an airtight container; freeze until firm, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

--Yeats

I need a tip on a good freezer. The one I'm currently using makes ice cream about as consistent as Luka Drca. Yes, I'm blaming the equipment.

Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    I need a tip on a good freezer. The one I'm currently using makes ice cream about as consistent as Luka Drca. Yes, I'm blaming the equipment.

Any help?
    We have this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Hamilton-Beach...+cream+freezer

It makes a lot of ice cream.

I've heard good things about this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-...+cream+freezer

No salt, no ice. But it doesn't make much product.

I would get this one but we don't make enough ice cream at home to justify such a fancy-pants product.

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-ICE-...+cream+freezer

Still, will my next one be this one, or one like it? Probably.

--Yeats

Ever since I posted the links below I've been seeing ads about ice cream makers every time I open any web site with ads on it. Kind of impressive.

--Yeats

I love homemade ice cream but I have no idea how to make it. have never looked into it either what are good ways of making it?

Quote Originally Posted by roseparkutes View Post
    I love homemade ice cream but I have no idea how to make it. have never looked into it either what are good ways of making it?
    It's very easy. Just buy a machine (some models suggested below) and try some recipes. The machines include recipe books, for starters, and after you play with the thing a while you'll develop your own approaches. It's just like any other kind of cooking.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's very easy. Just buy a machine (some models suggested below) and try some recipes. The machines include recipe books, for starters, and after you play with the thing a while you'll develop your own approaches. It's just like any other kind of cooking.
    If you have a Kitchenaid mixer the ice cream attachment is the way to go. Warning: Highly addictive.

Desse jeito, não tem jeito.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post
    If you have a Kitchenaid mixer the ice cream attachment is the way to go. Warning: Highly addictive.

Oh I'm totally going to get one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by San Diego Ute Fan View Post

If I had one of those within a year I'd look like Rick Majerus.

--Yeats

Moderation LA, moderation in all things.
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.