Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good finds on Netflix

I liked Sherlock, but my wife couldn't stay awake. Just finished Foyle's War and really enjoyed it. Now starting Damages. Glenn Close still scares me from the movie with Michael Douglas and is it my imagination but does she sometimes look a little like Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I liked Sherlock, but my wife couldn't stay awake. Just finished Foyle's War and really enjoyed it. Now starting Damages. Glenn Close still scares me from the movie with Michael Douglas and is it my imagination but does she sometimes look a little like Robin Williams as Mrs. Doubtfire?
    Foyle's War is a great show. Sherlock is as well. I need to give Downton another try. BBC does good work.

The IT Crowd. I love that show. Too few episodes. We'll watch them over and over again from time to time. "Work Outing" is by far my favorite episode. Not real high-brow humor, but good British comedy.

Derek. This is a new one by Ricky Gervais. He plays an autistic guy at a retirement home. Karl Pilkington is in it as the maintenance man with totally wicked "Child Molester" hair. This is really well done. Funny, social commentary, and a lot of really touching moments. Highly recommend. There are a few F,S, and C bombs here and there, but not many (2 per show, maybe?). So, buyer beware.

Come Fly with Me: British mocumentary about the airline business with Matt Lucas and David Walliams playing all the roles (both male and female). Loved it.

This looks like an interesting collection. Probably not on Netflix, but maybe at the library.

Spotlight on Americana

Movies have been vividly recording the goings-on in the good ol' USA for the past hundred some-odd years, dutifully documenting our nation's history for posterity. In honor of the anniversary of the United State's independence, we've dug through the Fandor library to find some really special examples of Americana of the cinematic variety. Whether saluting icons like Rose the Riveter and Elvis or celebrating the country's vast, beautiful landscape, each of these films capture a particular quality, facet or theme that is distinctly American.
    http://www.fandor.com/spotlights/spo...medium=context

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I watched Bernie starting Jack Black. Terrific show. He's a good guy everyone in his small Texas town loves. Funeral Director who gets involved with an older wealthy woman. Ends up killing her when she becomes needy/demanding. Then trial for conviction becomes difficult because folks love him so much. Entertaining dark comedy.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    I watched Bernie starting Jack Black. Terrific show. He's a good guy everyone in his small Texas town loves. Funeral Director who gets involved with an older wealthy woman. Ends up killing her when she becomes needy/demanding. Then trial for conviction becomes difficult because folks love him so much. Entertaining dark comedy.
    Saw it a while back. Good show.

I just watched "The Little Prince" on Netflix over the weekend. It is an animated film based on the French book "Le Petit Prince". Excellent. Highly recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I just watched "The Little Prince" on Netflix over the weekend. It is an animated film based on the French book "Le Petit Prince". Excellent. Highly recommend it.
    Second. Loved it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Little Prince is a wonderful surprise. Very highly recommended.

God bless you Justin Timberlake and everything you do.

Everything about Justin Timberlake + The Tennessee Kids is awesome. Watch it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Last edited by mpfunk; 10-28-2016 at 08:48 PM.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Watching a Netflix original called Fauda. It is a drama about Israelis and Palestinians. Very good.

Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentines Day Special. It must be watched with a loved one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

I recently began DamNation, a Patagonia produced documentary on the effects on the land and rivers and wildlife of the numerous dams in our nation.

We've become hooked on this one.

More here:

https://www.netflix.com/title/80131415

The dialogue is almost all in Norwegian, but once you get used to the subtitles (doesn't take long) it's great stuff and a different cultural look at modern warfare and international relations.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 02-16-2017 at 08:43 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Many of these look interesting:

Hidden gems on Netflix you need to watch

Read More: http://www.looper.com/23055/hidden-g..._campaign=clip

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Many of these look interesting:

Hidden gems on Netflix you need to watch

Read More: http://www.looper.com/23055/hidden-g..._campaign=clip
    Dope was fantastic. Great movie.
    Fundamentals of Caring was really good as well. Selena Gomez was great, Paul Rudd was great as well.
    Tucker & Dale is probably the best horror film ever made. HUGE twist/different than you'd expect, funny, just FANTASTIC.
    Creep - *shudders* Freaking creepy. I jumped many a time. Maybe even peed a little.

One that wasn't on his list that was incredible as well: Housebound. A New Zealand movie, funny, scary, nice twist. Great movie.

Fundamentals of Caring was written by a local author. I read that a few years ago and loved the book. The movie was very good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Fundamentals of Caring was written by a local author. I read that a few years ago and loved the book. The movie was very good as well.
    I'll have to look that book up. Thank you.

Good finds on Netflix

"The Heavy Water War." A historically accurate dramatization of the Nazi effort to develop an atomic bomb. Set in Norway where it happened. Great story of true bravery and espionage. Highly recommended. (It is in English, Norwegian and German, and subtitled; but so beautifully shot you don't notice.)

https://g.co/kgs/ihsYTU
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-07-2017 at 09:34 PM.

--Yeats

Good finds on Netflix

"The Worricker Trilogy." Very well-done series about a quirky but likable British MI5 agent. Bill Nighy stars. It's a conspiracy thriller, very British and you need to pay attention to details. Who the good guys and bad guys are is not always clear cut. First-rate cast. Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter, Judy Davis, Rupert Graves, Wynona Rider, Christopher Walken, Rachel Weiss, many others.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-15-2017 at 10:25 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    "The Worricker Trilogy." Very well-done series about a quirky but likable British MI5 agent. Bill Nighy stars. It's a conspiracy thriller, very British and you need to pay attention to details. Who the good guys and bad guys are is not always clear cut. First-rate cast. Ralph Fiennes, Helena Bonham Carter, Judy Davis, Rupert Graves, Wynona Rider, Christopher Walken, Rachel Weiss, many others.
    I watched this about a year ago. Loved it. Great cast. Smartly written.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

LION is a freebie on Netflix right now.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

"The Invisible Guest" is an excellent murder mystery playing on Netflix. It's a Spanish film with subtitles. It was so good I watched it twice.

Watched 13 hours for the third time. Could watch it ten more times no problem.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    It was well done. I've watched it twice -- once in the theater, once on Amazon.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post

I haven't watched it because... well... Michael Bay. But I might need to check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I haven't watched it because... well... Michael Bay. But I might need to check it out.
    To me it seemed surprisingly unlike his typical work.

--Yeats

So thanks to VidAngel Amazon Prime content is now available on AppleTV. Wonder how long that will last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching G.L.O.W. on Netflix. Way better than I expected and the 80's music is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Watching G.L.O.W. on Netflix. Way better than I expected and the 80's music is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I loved it. The show was gritty, charming, and touching. Marc Maron is outstanding, as is Alison Brie. The entire cast is fun.

I'm looking forward to season 2.