Thread: The Thread about Good Things in Scouting

Hybrid View

When I was a kid I loved scouting. My favorite times were going to scout camp at Camp Billy Rice at Warm Lake, Idaho or Camp Tapawingo at Payette Lakes. We did a lot of weekend campouts too. Those were some of my favorite times. I got my Life badge and then moved to Utah. Unfortunately the local troop really didn't do much and I quickly lost interest.

I looked at the link that LA posted. It was interesting. One of the merit badges that I got was Pioneering. That one was a blast.

Given the parameters of this thread, I will refrain from commenting on the direction that scouting has taken lately.

Turk hit the nail on the head. One's experience with scouting has MUCH to do with the quality of the troop. I was fortunate to have grown up in the ideal situation for a really terrific scouting experience.

Ours was an LDS troop in Holladay. Our ward had 20+ 12 to 14 year olds at a time, with an excellent scoutmaster and assistant scoutmaster, committee chair, advancement chair, and quality merit badge counselors. We were well organized, well funded, and had the support of involved parents.

Just after I turned 12, our scoutmaster and assistant inherited a pathetic, dead program and transformed it very quickly. Within a few weeks, kids were showing up on time in full uniform. The fact that they had surprise inspections with full sized candy bars for full uniforms didn't hurt. They made every week meaningful and fun with no hint of military heavy-handedness. We worked on really fun merit badges constantly as a group.

In those years kids were very interested in getting outdoors to camp, hike, swim, build things, take long bicycle trips, etc. We raced with each other to quickly go through the ranks toward our Eagle awards. We worked hard every year on fundraising, and as a result we had brand new matching tents, camp gear, stoves, etc.

Another element was being so close to the spectacular Wasatch and Uintah Moutain ranges. Our overnight camps were a blast, and our week camps were at Camp Steiner and East Fork of the Bear. Every day was wonderful, and we looked forward to camp like we did Christmas.

I remember the first day of camp at Camp Steiner when it was announced we'd have to swim 100 yards to be able to use the rowboats and canoes for the week. The water was 38 degrees. NOBODY dared go in. After a few minutes, the scoutmaster announced: "Let me show you ladies how this is done." He stripped down to his swimsuit, dove in, and killed it. Needless to say, we couldn't be shown up by the old man, so all of us quickly followed. I have never been colder in my life before that or since.

Every year one of the favorite overnights involved the short hike above Alta to Cecret Lake, with backpacking the next morning along the ridge to the top of the Snowbird tram. We'd then ride it down to the plaza. My first overnight was Winter Camp at Tracy Wigwam. That night included a no-holds-barred snowball fight with a neighboring troop. We prevailed. We also hiked to the top of Mount Olympus every July.

We won numerous first place awards at our week camps, district camporees, and Scout-O-Ramas. We actually had 3 types of uniforms from full dress to matching t-shirts with jeans. There are lots of skills I retain to this day and use often as a direct result of scouting.

Three of my best friends and I were awarded our Eagles on the same night. We were barely 14. We were able to enjoy the benefits of being Eagles while we were still having fun as young scouts. We were afforded some nice privileges as Eagles. Those were some of the best times of our young lives.

I feel bad for kids that grow up in crappy programs. They really miss out. The kids that are forced to earn Eagle in order to get a driver's license, or get a car never have the love for it that we did. I've seen some kids shamed into it by an overzealous mom or dad, barely getting the application for Eagle in before their 18th birthday. It seems to have little meaning to them.

As an adult, I've served in several capacities involved in scouting. I've tried hard to provide the same experience I was lucky enough to have as a kid. I've seen lots of young men really benefit from the program over the years. The most rewarding thing is to have someone thank me for it 10, 15, even 20 years later.

Like any worthwhile endeavor, it is what you make it.

Camp+Steiner.jpgscout_lake.jpg
    Desse jeito, não tem jeito.