Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Thread about Good Things in Scouting

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That doesn't really happen in most places. If leaders can find a middle ground between being a requirements Nazi and a total slacker, earning the merit badges can be an important way for boys to learn how to work and progress steadily towards a long-term goal. But Scouting is so variable from troop to troop and leader to leader. There are probably as many horror stories as success stories. And LDS troops have a deserved reputation as the worst.
    In the news reports of the change today, Fox 13's Ben Winslow has had many people telling him their stories of scouting in Utah.

One of the more common ones, especially in Utah County it seems, was parents requiring a completed Eagle Scout to get a driver license.

Scouting is an interesting world.

I'm currently a collateral advisor for the SLCPD Police Explorer program. We have 70 Explorers. Last year they did approximate 17,000 hours of community service. The Explorer post is technically a part of the Boy Scouts Of America. (Interestingly enough we have more girls than boys in the post and have since it's inception)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is the 'new' program if you are interested.

https://www.lds.org/youth/ymactivities?lang=eng

A lot of the stuff was there before the announcement. I am encouraged that it says that there should be more combined YM/YW activities and I hope that it brings some parity in the funding. My current ward has actually always been good to keep the funding pretty equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    This is essentially what was happening in our ward anyway. We went on a 'Varsity campout' and the Varsity leader was like, "Hey, let's go uh... get your chainsawing merit badge." He hadn't the slightest clue about the scouting program.
    Hey, that sounds like me!
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    . . .these non-Eagle earning losers.
    Hey, that sounds like me too!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

I don't know that Eagle numbers will go down too far. I think most people complete it before age 14 now anyway.
    Yes, the mom's work much harder today than in days gone by. My mom was a slacker and as a result, I did not get an Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Hey, that sounds like me!
    I just noticed that Roundtable is tonight. I was almost tempted to go to see what the mood and conversation is.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I just noticed that Roundtable is tonight. I was almost tempted to go to see what the mood and conversation is.
    Are you on that email list where there are about 500 people all not in bcc? That's my favorite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk