Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 51 of 51

Thread: What do you ride?

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    :drooling:

    Blue Goose just won this thread.
    I just saw this thread. Thanks for the award, chrisrenrut, but I haven't posted my ride yet. I've got a picture of my bike on my office computer.

    I ride a Giant TCR limited. Its a carbon frame with shimano ultegra components. Compact chain ring with a wacky 50/36 combo. I changed out the rear cassette for a 12/27 to handle some of the big boy climbs that I've had to do, and have been too lazy to change it back to the standard 11/25.

    I think it was the 2006 frame. It's got a purdy black and white paint job and is still in great shape, despite a poor maintenance schedule by me and about 4,000 miles per year since I got it.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
    I just saw this thread. Thanks for the award, chrisrenrut, but I haven't posted my ride yet. I've got a picture of my bike on my office computer.

    I ride a Giant TCR limited. Its a carbon frame with shimano ultegra components. Compact chain ring with a wacky 50/36 combo. I changed out the rear cassette for a 12/27 to handle some of the big boy climbs that I've had to do, and have been too lazy to change it back to the standard 11/25.

    I think it was the 2006 frame. It's got a purdy black and white paint job and is still in great shape, despite a poor maintenance schedule by me and about 4,000 miles per year since I got it.
    I'm not sure how I mixed up Blue Goose with RC Vikings.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  3. #33
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,876
    I saw this and thought of my UB5 cyclist buddies:

    Montague Paratrooper Pro Folding Bike


    paratrooper-pro-01-0613-de.jpg

    The Montague Paratrooper Pro bike is built like a tank, folds like a Swiss Army knife, and weighs less than body armor. Backed by a DARPA grant, David Montague designed the original Paratrooper bike in 1997 to be used by the U.S. Marines. The result was a cycle that a paratrooper could unfold as soon as he hit the ground. The Paratrooper line hasn’t been changed much for civilian use, but the expanded line now includes the Paratrooper Pro, a bike that’s great for the daily commute but truly excels at extreme-terrain trail riding....



    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  4. #34
    The School of Medicine has been pretty dead for a while. Hopefully people are still out there, being healthy in secret.

    The triathlon my brother and I have been training for the past 9 months is just a couple of weeks away. I'm feeling pretty good about the swim, something I never thought I'd say. I won't be fast, but I won't drown either.

    I have been trying to run, but stupid injuries keep hampering my efforts. I sprained my right ankle stepping on a rock one morning in May, and then the past few weeks I can't run more than 3 miles without getting a calf muscle strain in my left left leg. It's always in a slightly different place, and a compression sleeve doesn't seem to be helping. I am resigned to possibly walking part of the running portion, not because of lack of fitness, but due to calf pain.

    The one thing I have been struggling with is getting time on my bike. I don't like going out early in the morning when it is dark, and riding at night hasn't been much of an option lately. So I decided to start commuting to work on my bike once or twice a week. It is 19 miles from my house in Centerville to my office west of the airport. Most of the way I am on the Legacy/Jordan River trail, so I feel pretty safe. Our building has showers, and I'll bring my work clothes to work the day before so I don't have to lug them on my back.

    I am riding an old mountain bike (seen in the OP of this thread). I decided not to invest in a road bike until after the triathlon to see if it is something I want to continue doing, and see how my knees hold up. I tend to get tendonitis in my left knee especially, but I have been able to keep it under control pretty well by trying to spin smoothly on the pedals, and at a higher cadence than I used to use in my younger days.

    I was having problems finding a street tire that worked well on my mountain bike. I tried some WTB slicks from Performance Cycle, but kept getting pinch flats or torn sidewalls. I finally found some Continental GatorSkins that fit a 26" wheel on Amazon. They have been amazing. There is so much less rolling resistance, and they look like a road bike tire (see pics below). The issue was getting them on. I struggled for hours, and couldn't get the last little bit over the rim. I pinched 4 tubes trying to use levers. I finally took them to a bike shop and paid them to put them on. It took 3 bike techs 45 minutes and 4 tubes as well to finally get them on. I felt a little bad paying them just $4 per tire. Luckily, GatorSkins are pretty flat resistant, many users claim they have gone 2,000 miles without a flat. It's a good thing, if I were to get a flat on a ride, there is no way I would be able to patch or change the tube.

    Attachment 1181Attachment 1182
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I finally found some Continental GatorSkins that fit a 26" wheel on Amazon. They have been amazing. There is so much less rolling resistance, and they look like a road bike tire (see pics below). The issue was getting them on. I struggled for hours, and couldn't get the last little bit over the rim. I pinched 4 tubes trying to use levers. I finally took them to a bike shop and paid them to put them on. It took 3 bike techs 45 minutes and 4 tubes as well to finally get them on. I felt a little bad paying them just $4 per tire. Luckily, GatorSkins are pretty flat resistant, many users claim they have gone 2,000 miles without a flat. It's a good thing, if I were to get a flat on a ride, there is no way I would be able to patch or change the tube.
    Conti's are always hard to get on the first time, but will stretch so you should be able to get at least one side of with tire levers. Gator skins SHOULD be pretty good with flats, but I haven't had a tire yet that can with stand a heavy duty staple on the road.

  6. #36
    I'm going to get my first bike soon. Ride it to work, and do some pleasure riding along the paved/dirt trails. Nothing rough, so I think a hybrid will suit me just fine.
    I know ZERO about bikes, and I don't want to pay a lot of money. Maybe if I really get into it, I'll drop $1K on something down the road.

    Would I be dumb to buy something like this online?

    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../avenue_fb.htm

    I'm not sure I really care about a perfectly sized bike. It's a 4-5 mile drive to work, and I just looking to green up my life a little, and get some more exercise.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    I'm going to get my first bike soon. Ride it to work, and do some pleasure riding along the paved/dirt trails. Nothing rough, so I think a hybrid will suit me just fine.
    I know ZERO about bikes, and I don't want to pay a lot of money. Maybe if I really get into it, I'll drop $1K on something down the road.

    Would I be dumb to buy something like this online?

    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/.../avenue_fb.htm

    I'm not sure I really care about a perfectly sized bike. It's a 4-5 mile drive to work, and I just looking to green up my life a little, and get some more exercise.
    The truth is a bike frame is a bike frame until you start getting up in the $$$ range, the question is about quality of components. The Shimano Sora components are the entry level for Shimano, I've never heard of C-star.

    At that price range it is hard to go wrong, you aren't going to get cheaper. I always tell people to not spend a ton of money on their first bike because they won't know the difference and may not like it. If you end up liking it, then you'll figure out quickly what you like or don't like and you can get what you want.

    My other advice is when it comes to recreational riding like you described, the places to 'splurge' are you contact points on a bike. So spend money on a seat, pedals and in this case handlebar grips. This is a compact frame, meaning they should be able to get one that reasonably fits you.

    I would also recommend spending a little extra money to take it into a bike shop and have them help fit the bike for you once you get it. A bike that fits right will be a big determining factor after fitness in if you keep riding. I've seen people hate a bike and then have the seat put down a quarter inch and they loved it.

    Finally, and this is important, since it is being shipped to you, I would have a bike mechanic look it over before you ride it to make sure it is put together right.

  8. #38
    Thanks. That was my suspicion all along.
    I'm hoping I really enjoy it and in a few years upgrade to something a little more custom.

  9. #39
    Weather cooperated, and I made my first ride in to work this morning. 7 miles, a little longer that I thought.
    My moon is sore. But I feel refreshed! We'll see how I feel in the morning....
    A guy at work suggested a gel pad until i get used to the small seat. And to sit as far back as possible.

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Weather cooperated, and I made my first ride in to work this morning. 7 miles, a little longer that I thought.
    My moon is sore. But I feel refreshed! We'll see how I feel in the morning....
    A guy at work suggested a gel pad until i get used to the small seat. And to sit as far back as possible.
    I'd say avoid the pad or get cycling shorts. You'll get used to it in about a week... if you are still sore after two you probably: Have a seat that doesn't fit your properly; have a bad angle on your seat that make it uncomfortable; or aren't distributing your weight right on the bike (meaning your seat is too high or you aren't putting enough weight on your arms).

    Congrats on the ride, it will definitely get easier. If you are concerned about recovery drink some chocolate milk or ovaltine right after your ride (seriously). It has the right mix of carbs and protein to help you recover (the football team drinks chocolate milk after practice).

  11. #41
    cycling shorts are a lot more effective than I thought. And it does make me look quite a bit more sexy.

    I've really enjoyed using strava to track my progress. Is anyone using the Premium version? Is it worth it?

    Since I generally do the same ride each day (to work, to home), I'd like to be able see several rides overlayed, and see how my speeds change/improve over time. I also wish it would recognize the rides as the same, and automatically name them. Does the Premium give you that? Or is there a better app to use for this?

  12. #42
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Mormon Mecca (North)
    Posts
    1,138
    Every time I pass this thread title on the front page... I think of this clip. Probably NSFW


  13. #43
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,876
    Some of you will laugh but I now have a Vespa S150.

    image.jpg

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  14. #44
    Sweet! Two words- lane splitting
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  15. #45
    Senior Member justaute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    SLC-FW-Pitt
    Posts
    1,059
    Might have to get me one of these and put drum-n-feather stickers on it.


  16. #46
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  17. #47
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Some of you will laugh but I now have a Vespa S150.

    image.jpg
    Is this what comes after the sports car?

  18. #48
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    14,876

    What do you ride?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Is this what comes after the sports car?
    Skipped that step. Also skipped the motorcycle. But, chrisrenrut, I do have a Biltwell helmet.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  19. #49
    I got a new mountain bike this year. It was our 20th anniversary this year, and my wife wanted a ring. The deal was that I got to spend as much as her ring costs on a new bike for me. I went with a Santa Cruz 5010.

    Last friday, a friend text me and asked if I wanted to ride with him that night at 9:00 pm. We both have good lights, ands know the Mueller Park trail well, so we went. Everything was fine, and we were on our way down about 1/4 mile from the bottom of the trail about 10:30 when he went down. He was behind me, and I heard h. Yell "ahhh" and suddenly couldn't see his light behind me anymore. I Stopped and went back to see what happened and help him. I found him laying across the trail, his buke partially on him. He said he hurt his hand, but otherwise was ok (we found out the next day he broke his metacarpal bone on his left pinky).

    I looked around to see what might have caused him to crash. It was a straight, smooth section of trail. He said something hit his head that threw him off balance, but there were no branches sticking out anywhere. Best we can figure, a large bird, maybe an owl, swooped down an nailed him. He does have a small dent in his helmet. I guess I may have spooked it as I went by.

    His is bike was ok, but he could put any pressure on his hand so we walked the rest of the way down.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  20. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Some of you will laugh but I now have a Vespa S150.

    image.jpg

    Awesome....I like your style my friend!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

    "You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

    "Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

  21. #51
    I have to use a mtn bike seat post to get the length needed to be properly fitted.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •