Thread: John White signs with Edmonton Eskimos

John White signs with Edmonton Eskimos

Good for him!! He will have a big challenge ahead to beat Hugh Charles and Calvin McCarty for playing time but I hope he sticks on the roster after training camp.

I an still amazed that an NFL team didn't even bring him on for a 3 day rookie tryout.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I an still amazed that an NFL team didn't even bring him on for a 3 day rookie tryout.
    Not really surprised as he is not that big. Even on the Eskimos roster he is smaller than Charles and McCarty who will likely be 1-2 out of camp unless White absolutely tears it up.

Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    Not really surprised as he is not that big. Even on the Eskimos roster he is smaller than Charles and McCarty who will likely be 1-2 out of camp unless White absolutely tears it up.
    He is not that big, but I swear RBs his size have made it before. I swear running for 2,500 yards in the PAC 12 should tell us he at least deserves a tryout. Oh well, I hope he turns Canada into the Great WHITE North....heh....heh (nudges GUBA in the ribs annoyingly).

He is too small, not reliable enough hands, didn't break enough tackles, while White did run over some players in college, he would probably die trying to do that in the NFL, etc. White was a GREAT college RB.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    He is not that big, but I swear RBs his size have made it before. I swear running for 2,500 yards in the PAC 12 should tell us he at least deserves a tryout. Oh well, I hope he turns Canada into the Great WHITE North....heh....heh (nudges GUBA in the ribs annoyingly).
    He is going to have to learn how to catch out of the backfield to make an impact. We will see if he makes cutdown out of training camp in June.

Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    He is going to have to learn how to catch out of the backfield to make an impact. We will see if he makes cutdown out of training camp in June.
    I agree. If you are a small back, you need to be able to catch the swing and screen reliably
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I agree. If you are a small back, you need to be able to catch the swing and screen reliably
    Well we know the guy can pass block.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonute View Post
    Well we know the guy can pass block.
    That play was ridiculously awesome
    André Gide

From what I recall, Wolfman caught the ball well his junior year but his senior year he succumbed to the dropsies that plagued basically the entire Utah offense. So my opinion is that he is capable of pass-catching even though he slumped and didn't do it well last year.

The Eskimos often use the RB position like an extra receiver with the usual screen passes and dumps but they also will throw delays to the wide side of the field, crossing patterns over the middle, and the occasional 20-30 yd pass to the RB. If you want to check out White's competition in camp look up Calvin McCarty CFL highlights.

The next phase of John White's career begins today as rookies report to camp.

This thread made me smile. I'm glad John White is still going to be playing some football. I loved watching him play at the U. I hope he earns the starting spot and rips up the CFL.

For those who are interested you can catch John White and the Edmonton Eskimos opener vs Saskatchewan on Sat at 1:30pm MDT on ESPN2. Also it appears select games will be on NBC Sports Network as well the entire season will be on ESPN3.

Here's a bit about his recent preseason performance against BC

"The California-raised, Utah-educated running back played much bigger than his five-foot-eight, 185-pound frame appeared, carrying the ball five times for 99 yards and would have had a touchdown if not for an illegal formation penalty."
    2014 utahby5 World Cup Bracket Predictor Challenge Champion. No one who speaks German could be an evil man.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post

"The California-raised, Utah-educated running back played much bigger than his five-foot-eight, 185-pound frame appeared, carrying the ball five times for 99 yards and would have had a touchdown if not for an illegal formation penalty."
    20 yards a touch! Sounds like he is back to his 2011 form.

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLaRusso View Post

99 Yards? I thought Canada was on the Metric system. Shouldn't it be 99 Meters?
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    99 Yards? I thought Canada was on the Metric system. Shouldn't it be 99 Meters?
    They'd have to make the field 9.4% longer for that to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    They'd have to make the field 9.4% longer for that to work.
    The play on a field 110 yards long, so they made it 10% longer. I always thought Canadians were metric snobs, but it starting to sound to me that they aren't "all in" on this metric thing.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.