Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Smoke'm if you got'em

So with the tri-tip, I rubbed it down with olive oil followed by a rub mix that i got at Sportsman's Warehouse.

uploadfromtaptalk1371428587417.jpg

here is a pic of the rub

uploadfromtaptalk1371428613267.jpg

The Traeger was set at 225 with a mix of cherry and hickory. Cooked until 130 at the thickest spot, then sear on the gas grill for 3 minutes per side

uploadfromtaptalk1371428721290.jpg

This was after a 15 minute rest

uploadfromtaptalk1371428758776.jpg

It was very good. I was a little light on the rub, and some pieces the tenderness was affected because I didn't get it cut just right, but for about 2 hours of time, this will be a Sunday staple I believe.
    Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 06-16-2013 at 06:54 PM.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    i am doing ribs tomorrow as well. Picked up a pack of baby backs from Costco this afternoon. Can't Wait!

Ribs were good, not great, really good though. I forgot to pick up some apple juice and foil them for the 2nd half of the smoke. If you want to know what I am talking about, JL has some great instructions on how to cook ribs in the linked thread on CUF. http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...or-smoked-ribs This is the first time I didn't foil them and I could tell that the moisture just wasn't the same.

The thing that I was able to find on this smoke was a new rub that I feel in love with. If you like a sweetness to your ribs then try a rub called "Sweet Money". I did 3 racks of ribs and each rack had a different rub. This particular rub was a hit for my family as well as the family that joined us for dinner. Now I need to find a good sweet, tangy bbq sauce to go with it. I am also excited to try this rub on some pulled pork. I might just have to do that this weekend. I picked up the rub at the "BBQ Stop" store in Lehi on State street just south of the 2100 north exit for the Utah folks. I think you might be able to pick it up at Harmons as well. I am not sure though.

If any has some suggestions on a sweet tangy BBQ recipe or one that I can purchase somewhere in Utah, please tell.

After a long day of yardwork, office work, running kids around etc., I grabbed a large salmon fillet from Costco. Not farm grown, but wild, with a deep rich color, and the skin on.

I didn't have a lot of time to prepare, so I sprinkled some kosher salt on it, ground some pepper on top, and put it on the traeger Over the alder wood pellets at 350 degrees. I cooked it for 20 minutes, sprayed it with some Sprite (my son just had this laying around) let it cook another five minutes, flipped it to get grill marks and took it off.

Absolutely delicious. It was better than any salmon I've had from red lobster. Very good. Next time I will do it exactly the same way but try to figure out a dressing for it after it has cooked.

Mashed potatoes on the side w corn.

I'm a fan of the taste of the alder pellets. Very mild. I'm going to do chicken over them tomorrow.

for the 4th I'm smoking some ribs with cream soda, captain Morgan chipotle BBQ sauce. should be pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Not smoked but roasted. I was celebrating the fact that my wife needed more freezer space and took the pork loin out to thaw:

Attachment 663
    Mmmmmm...pork loin is next to godliness.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I just put the game time meal into the Traeger

Last edited by Jarid in Cedar; 09-21-2013 at 07:31 AM.
    André Gide

Just pulled some chicken breasts off the traeger with this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005CM...110_SY165_QL70

Peri peri chicken from Nandos on South Africa was an amazing treat when I was there on my mission. They are in the USA now. Washington DC area and a few others. Unbelievable!

All I had tonight was some Alder wood pellets. I want to try with hickory or mesquite. Phenomenal!

Trying to decide what/how to do the Thanksgiving bird this year. it will be my first holiday with the Smoker, so I wanted make it amazing.

Any suggestions?

This bourbon and maple recipe from Traeger sounds pretty good... http://www.traegergrills.com/recipes/detail/65

I may do what you're suggesting. I did a turkey breast this weekend. Smoked it with alder wood and out a turkey rub on it. I think the turkey rub was a little too gamey tasting so I'm just going to try salt and pepper and maybe try hickory pellets.

I am on the verge of taking the Traeger plunge. Coastal Ute and I are researching the Texas Grill and the L'il Tex Elite. What are your experiences with each?

I'm also trying to figure out how to sell my wife on this. She will be concerned about the aesthetics of the grills. (I kid not.) Thoughts about that are welcome too.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-27-2014 at 10:55 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am on the verge of taking the Traeger plunge. Coastal Ute and I are researching the Texas Grill and the L'il Tex Elite. What are your experiences with each?

I'm also trying to figure out how to sell my wife on this. She will be concerned about the aesthetics of the grills. (I kid not.) Thoughts about that are welcome too.
    How can someone married to LA Ute be concerned about aesthetics?

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    How can someone married to LA Ute be concerned about aesthetics?
    You lack perspective. When she met me I was just sitting in the corner of the dance hall with a vacant stare, drooling. Most people think she's done a wonderful job with me.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm seeing that some purchasers complain about the smoke that the Traegers emit when starting up. Is there anything to that? I don't want my neighbors to hate me. Also, it look like quite a few people have both a gas grill and a Traeger, and use the grill for things like burgers, and the Traeger for smoking. What do you guys say?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'm seeing that some purchasers complain about the smoke that the Traegers emit when starting up. Is there anything to that? I don't want my neighbors to hate me. Also, it look like quite a few people have both a gas grill and a Traeger, and use the grill for things like burgers, and the Traeger for smoking. What do you guys say?
    While I am a big fan of smoking and also a proponent for grilling everything slow and low, using a smoker as a grill I don't think is a good idea. There are certain things that you need better control of the heat quick that means you need a grill. For example I'll often turn my grill up high with a steak or a burger to sear the outside to keep the juices in and then I turn it way down and slow cook it the rest of the way. That is hard to do with a smoker.

Also, as noted, smokers tend to smoke, particularly if you've done it right. It should be giving off a constant white smoke that will likely not offend your neighbors but get them coming over to mooch some food. That is what I experience at least.

Right now I have a turkey breast that I brined for 24 hour previously in a concoction of kosher salt, distilled water, crushed garlic, ground pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Rinse it off, glaze in olive oil and let smoke all day.

Look, I'm talking about what I'm going to eat today... what is this Facebook?

Smoke'm if you got'em

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    While I am a big fan of smoking and also a proponent for grilling everything slow and low, using a smoker as a grill I don't think is a good idea. There are certain things that you need better control of the heat quick that means you need a grill. For example I'll often turn my grill up high with a steak or a burger to sear the outside to keep the juices in and then I turn it way down and slow cook it the rest of the way. That is hard to do with a smoker.

Also, as noted, smokers tend to smoke, particularly if you've done it right. It should be giving off a constant white smoke that will likely not offend your neighbors but get them coming over to mooch some food. That is what I experience at least.

Right now I have a turkey breast that I brined for 24 hour previously in a concoction of kosher salt, distilled water, crushed garlic, ground pepper, brown sugar and Worcestershire sauce. Rinse it off, glaze in olive oil and let smoke all day.

Look, I'm talking about what I'm going to eat today... what is this Facebook?
    Yeah, I am thinking the same way. Does anyone know anyone who has a Big Green Egg?

http://www.biggreenegg.com/eggs/

It claims to be a grill, a smoker and an oven. I'm intrigued.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-04-2014 at 11:21 AM.

--Yeats

Smoke'm if you got'em

My wife, with lots and lots of help from Coastal Ute, got me a Big Green Egg. It was waiting for me when I got home tonight. It's an amazing grill/oven/smoker and I can't wait to get started.

Last edited by LA Ute; 05-15-2014 at 07:28 AM.

--Yeats

--Yeats

Doing 3-2-1 ribs today. They are presently in foil on the grill. Here is a before picture.

We did spatchcock chicken today. My son (Coastal Ute) did the prep. It was superb. Photo coming!

--Yeats

spatchcock is the only way to do chicken... delicious! and it cooks throught every time.

I went camping with the family over memorial day weekend. took the grizzly spit. http://www.awesometools.com/grizzly-...rotisserie.asp

awesome little contraption. did tri tip the first night and the 2 whole chickens the second. absolutely tasty! still trying to get the open fire cooking thing down, but it's a lot of fun, the meat tasted fantastic, and it was something new. all of the adults just sat around the fire watching the meat turn on the spit.

battery life isn't great, but we got about 4 hours out of the little motor.

This isn't a perfect photo but it gives you an idea. The chicken was perfect. I'm continually amazed at how moist and flavorful it is when cooked in the Egg.

We've been using various rubs -- Bad Byron's Butt Rub and a pecan rub, for example -- but for the Spatchcock my son made up his own combination of olive oil, thyme, cayenne, garlic salt, cinnamon, pepper, paprika, and kosher salt. It worked great. We added mesquite chips to the coals. Got the chicken's temp up to about 160 degrees and it made for a great meal.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 06-03-2014 at 05:21 PM.

--Yeats

a few co-workers have a variation of the green egg. it's called the "big steel keg". they love that komodo style bbq (I think that's what it's called). glad you like it!

I haven't been brave enough to try a rub of my own. I get a rub called pig powder for chicken. it's amazing. for the ribs, I get Charlie Vergos' Rendevous Rub. It is friggin' amazing on ribs. absolutely amazing!

http://www.hogsfly.com/ProductDetails.php?product_id=34

http://www.amazon.com/Trim-Tabbs-Pig...rds=pig+powder

Our second attend at spatchcock chicken. We're getting better at it, and this time it was terrific:

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    a few co-workers have a variation of the green egg. it's called the "big steel keg". they love that komodo style bbq (I think that's what it's called). glad you like it!

I haven't been brave enough to try a rub of my own. I get a rub called pig powder for chicken. it's amazing. for the ribs, I get Charlie Vergos' Rendevous Rub. It is friggin' amazing on ribs. absolutely amazing!

http://www.hogsfly.com/ProductDetails.php?product_id=34

http://www.amazon.com/Trim-Tabbs-Pig...rds=pig+powder
    The Rendezvous BBQ sauce is a favorite of mine too. I used to frequent their restaurant on visits to Memphis back in the day.

Making pizza on a Big Green Egg:

http://biggreenegg.com/pizza/

Looks like fun. I'll try it soon.

--Yeats

Today's brisket...

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Smokin' in the Boys' Room: Southern Recipes from the Winningest Woman in Barbecue

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...33926c83744f81

--Yeats

My wife surprised me with a Traeger for Christmas. Now I know what the rest of you already knew. The thing is fabulous and makes cooking ridiculously good meat, ridiculously easy.

Started off with a long smoke of some rescued-from-deep-freeze. Tonight I brined some chicken breasts in pickle juice/brown sugar/pinch of garlic/paprika/red pepper flakes, then grilled on high until they just bumped 170*. Hickory pellets only, for now. So tender and juicy! I can't get rid of my old propane grill soon enough.

I need to go through this thread for recipes.

Side note, I had no idea Traeger was based in SLC now. I thought they were in Oregon. But it turns out my neighbor growing up is now a bigwig at the company.

My first attempt at pulled pork tonight.

Turned out really well, definitely be doing that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk