Thread: Home Improvement Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Put in a John Louis closet system for my 2 youngest sons. $260 on amazon. Took about 6 hours to do but now that I have experience it will only take about 4 to do again. Nice wood and goes right into the studs so it is off the floor.

Before and after pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    I've been looking at systems for my masters WIC. How do you like the quality? I am looking for something that looks high quality and feels nice but doesn't break the bank. I like the way yours looks. Would you do it again?

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    I've been looking at systems for my masters WIC. How do you like the quality? I am looking for something that looks high quality and feels nice but doesn't break the bank. I like the way yours looks. Would you do it again?
    Absolutely. This is the 12" shelf size unit. It comes in the mahogany you see here and a honey oak. There is a deluxe that has 16" shelves (width).

I'm putting this same closet in the same color in my oldest sons room. I am putting it also in the other room but in the honey oak. In the master I am going to put the deluxe in honey oak.

They go in easily and are very sturdy. U just secure then right to the wall in studs and they work absolutely terrific. Quality of the wood is great and looks good. I got some splintering when I chop sawed some of the pieces but it was honestly minimal. Great product.

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    Absolutely. This is the 12" shelf size unit. It comes in the mahogany you see here and a honey oak. There is a deluxe that has 16" shelves (width).

I'm putting this same closet in the same color in my oldest sons room. I am putting it also in the other room but in the honey oak. In the master I am going to put the deluxe in honey oak.

They go in easily and are very sturdy. U just secure then right to the wall in studs and they work absolutely terrific. Quality of the wood is great and looks good. I got some splintering when I chop sawed some of the pieces but it was honestly minimal. Great product.

Trying putting blue painters tape where you plan on cutting. That should help eliminate some of the splintering. What type of blade are you using? How many teeth? If you are using a rip blade instead of a finish blade you could experience splintering as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to order the deluxe in mahogany for the WIC in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by FN Phat View Post
    Trying putting blue painters tape where you plan on cutting. That should help eliminate some of the splintering. What type of blade are you using? How many teeth? If you are using a rip blade instead of a finish blade you could experience splintering as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I am going to order the deluxe in mahogany for the WIC in the near future.
    I'm going to try this next time. I borrowed the saw from a buddy. It was 10". Not sure about the number if teeth. I used it for my flooring when I did that a few months ago and it worked great. The tape idea sounds like a good one.

I'm really happy with the closet. Tons of shelf space and very sturdy. A physician friend and his family used these recently in their own home remodel. They really do look good.

We have been living through a kitchen renovation for the past month. Our house was built in 1962, and we have lived in it for 12 years. It was time, and we are able to do it fairly cheap due to my step son being a contractor and helping with the project.

We are coming from old wood cabintes, linoleum floring, laminate countertops, and old appliances. We are going to knotty cherry cabinets in a dark stain, on a laminate wood flooring in a light hickory. Granite countertops, upgrated appliances, lighting, sink. Most exciting, is a more open floor plan. It is just a 12-14 space, so no island, but by expanding the cabintes up and taking out a half-wall, it really opens things up and creates more storage.

It is at the stage where it is starting to come together, and is getting pretty exciting.

Here is the kitchen space, stripped bare:
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 08-27-2013 at 04:32 PM.