Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Home Improvement Thread

anyone have experience with AirPlay for music?
    I'm putting in some ceiling speakers in a few rooms, and I'd like to be able to run them off a common receiver/amp. Ideally, the same amp used for the TV.

I have 3 sets of ceiling speakers: bathroom, den, family room. I'd like to be able to run sound from an iphone to any room. If possible, I'd like to get an amp/receiver (with AirPlay) for the TV, and then use it for the speakers. Can AirPlay be configured to turn the amp on/off, select outputs? (From the iPhone: music to bathroom)

Or is there a better way to do this? I'm not an audio perfectionist. So, I don't need a super high end, perfect sound system.

I have AirPlay...it just streams the music. You'll need to look for a receiver that has multiple zones and an app to control the receiver for what you want to do.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Finally got my sons bedroom done. Now he needs to move out so I can have a man cave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

here is some more. If I ever move the new owners will need to be Ute fans or have a lot of blue and orange donkey paint.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Damage U; 06-29-2014 at 11:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    here is some more. If I ever move the new owners will need to be Ute fans or have a lot of blue and orange donkey paint.
    Holy shit that is, sweet.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Holy shit that is, sweet.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    Amen to that. So cool. Bravo.

EDIT:
    Any details to share about how you went about doing it, Damage?
    Last edited by Solon; 06-30-2014 at 08:37 AM.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

EDIT:
    Any details to share about how you went about doing it, Damage?
    I drew it up with pencil and then went through about 6 or 7 rolls of frog tape.

I know, two years old, but I just saw this. That is freaking awesome brother!
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

I wanted to post a wierd'ish product recommendation here. No affiliation with the company.

http://www.amazon.com/Tanglefoot-300.../dp/B002BKMO42

It says it will stop wasps from building nests, but, I put three up about 5 days ago and it seems like my existing wasp activity has dropped by 90 percent. Tried sprays and traps but nothing seemed to work. If this holds true, I'm gonna say its near miracle status.

I reserve the right to change my mind depending upon future results...........
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Damage U View Post
    Why have i never seen these pictures?! This is awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Why have i never seen these pictures?! This is awesome!
    Agreed. I didn't see these the first time. Looks like a boy's dream.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I wanted to post a wierd'ish product recommendation here. No affiliation with the company.

http://www.amazon.com/Tanglefoot-300.../dp/B002BKMO42

It says it will stop wasps from building nests, but, I put three up about 5 days ago and it seems like my existing wasp activity has dropped by 90 percent. Tried sprays and traps but nothing seemed to work. If this holds true, I'm gonna say its near miracle status.

I reserve the right to change my mind depending upon future results...........
    Three weeks and this thing is a resounding success. Whereas on a nice day I used to deal with dozens upon dozens of red wasps, today, I might see 3 or 4 outside. I'm gonna go ahead and elevate this product from near miracle, to full miracle status now. I'm so pumped about this product I'm going to go ahead and find another gadgety product to recommend.

We've finished our remodel in Salt Lake. Just wanted to share an item that we love, but most overlook when building a home or doing a remodel.

We put a w/d in the master closet and it's perhaps the single best add we made in the remodel. Laundry is soooooo convenient and easy now. We had tried this once before when we remodeled a basement in our previous home. We added a w/d to our daughters w/i closet, and she loved it. In SL, we toured a number of new builds and remodels, and only one had a w/d in the bedroom, even though our contractor claims about 40 percent of his complete remodel clients put a w/d in the master closet now. In fact, many times the laundry room wasn't anywhere near a bedroom....often in the basement in a corner somewhere, or, near the mudroom/garage entrance. Our best friends are building a $1.3mm 6500 sf home and they've allocated one laundry room on the main floor. This made no sense to me, so, we kept a full-blown basement laundry to service the downstairs bedrooms, but, added the master stackable to service our room. If building from scratch, I'd be tempted to put a stackable in every bedroom closet. Seriously.

Anyway, one of the best decisions we made for the remodel and thought I'd share for those going through remodeling or building.

That seems like a really good idea... Never thought of that before, but I wish I had it now. It would make it so much easier to wash smaller batches of clothes right in the master bedroom. A sock always seems to fall out of the basket unnoticed while carrying it from the laundry room to the bed for folding....

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    We've finished our remodel in Salt Lake. Just wanted to share an item that we love, but most overlook when building a home or doing a remodel.

We put a w/d in the master closet and it's perhaps the single best add we made in the remodel. Laundry is soooooo convenient and easy now. We had tried this once before when we remodeled a basement in our previous home. We added a w/d to our daughters w/i closet, and she loved it. In SL, we toured a number of new builds and remodels, and only one had a w/d in the bedroom, even though our contractor claims about 40 percent of his complete remodel clients put a w/d in the master closet now. In fact, many times the laundry room wasn't anywhere near a bedroom....often in the basement in a corner somewhere, or, near the mudroom/garage entrance. Our best friends are building a $1.3mm 6500 sf home and they've allocated one laundry room on the main floor. This made no sense to me, so, we kept a full-blown basement laundry to service the downstairs bedrooms, but, added the master stackable to service our room. If building from scratch, I'd be tempted to put a stackable in every bedroom closet. Seriously.

Anyway, one of the best decisions we made for the remodel and thought I'd share for those going through remodeling or building.
    You don't miss the closet space?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You don't miss the closet space?

It's been a small price to pay. Really.

Make sure you have a catch basin with a drain to contain the inevitable water dump, then everything would be all right. Having a smaller stacked set in multiple rooms sounds like a great idea, especially if you want to teach kids to be independent.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My brother gave me this for Christmas. He got it at FanFast last year - it used to hang from a lamp post in downtown SLC - and had Coach Whitt autograph it. Bonus - now I finally have a picture of the temple in my house.

Attachment 2327
    What a great brother. I am greenly envious!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

That is a fun banner!

BTW, I love the look of the blue paint contrasted against the wood floor and off-white lower section (beadboard?). Very nice look in that room.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My brother gave me this for Christmas. He got it at FanFast last year - it used to hang from a lamp post in downtown SLC - and had Coach Whitt autograph it. Bonus - now I finally have a picture of the temple in my house.

Attachment 2327
    that is sweet

How fun! Hey, what's that funky looking vacuum/floor cleaner thingy in the background? I'm sure I'll hit my palm to my forehead after you tell me, but, I just can't place it.

It was about 10 weeks passed the promised completion date, and had plenty of incredibly frustrating moments, but we finally completed the swimming pool. The first project done was the basketball court, then the pool and concrete work, we’re having a pergola installed this weekend off the back of the house. Remaining projects include: adding turf to the space between the pool and basketball court, landscaping the perimeter and finally, my outdoor kitchen and fire place under the pergola.

Here are a few photos:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It was about 10 weeks passed the promised completion date, and had plenty of incredibly frustrating moments, but we finally completed the swimming pool. The first project done was the basketball court, then the pool and concrete work, we’re having a pergola installed this weekend off the back of the house. Remaining projects include: adding turf to the space between the pool and basketball court, landscaping the perimeter and finally, my outdoor kitchen and fire place under the pergola.

Here are a few photos:

Wow, beautiful. Your family and you are looking at years of enjoying what you’ve done. (We’ve almost finished 5 months of remodeling on our new house, and I feel your frustration. It pays off in the end.)

--Yeats

Looks beautiful. Hopefully lake mead stays full enough for you to enjoy it for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Looks beautiful. Hopefully lake mead stays full enough for you to enjoy it for years to come.
    Are you crazy?! This is exactly way we made the move! Gotta horde the resource while it’s available!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Are you crazy?! This is exactly way we made the move! Gotta horde the resource while it’s available!

When the water wars start, you can bring your tribe up into my mountain compound. But you have to help us replicate that pool.

Imma just leaving this here for inspiration for you guys.

This is the Sugarhouse-area house I grew up in, in the vicinity of 17th South and 17th East. I can tell from the photos that the interior no longer even resembles the house I knew. My parent bought it in 1953 for $17,000, on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage at 3%. It's now in escrow for about $650,000.

1632_Blaine_Ave.png

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is the Sugarhouse-area house I grew up in, in the vicinity of 17th South and 17th East. I can tell from the photos that the interior no longer even resembles the house I knew. My parent bought it in 1953 for $17,000, on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage at 3%. It's now in escrow for about $650,000.

1632_Blaine_Ave.png
    Where's the memorial plaque? I would have assumed it would be on the front porch, but maybe there's a dedicated monument in the yard that's just off-screen.
    Last edited by Scratch; 08-30-2018 at 11:09 PM.