Thread: As I understand it, the Utes still have 1 basketball scholarship available.

As I understand it, the Utes still have 1 basketball scholarship available.

There's only 1 senior on the team (Lenz) and clearly Coach cannot go recruiting with only one scholarship available, so unless a prized recuit falls into his lap his most likely options are:

1) Bank the scholarship for next year (give it to a walk-on for this coming year), OR
    2) Bring in a 1-year transfer like Jarred Dubois.

Any rumors of a 1-year transfer coming in?

I found this list of available transfers. Any JR on this list commented 'can play immediately' or 'will graduate' would be a possibility.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-first-edition

I would bank it. As you noted, not a bunch of seniors on this years team.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

No doubt that if there were a senior transfer available that they thought could provide a positive impact they would be interested in him as there is almost no downside to that arrangement. However, it seems that it's been long enough since almost all of the transfers declared their intentions that I'm guessing there is not mutual interest between Utah and any such player. The likelihood is that the scholarship goes in the bank for the next recruiting class. Utah will have Lenz as a senior, Parker Van Dyke leaving on a mission (unless something changes) and this open scholarship. So Utah will be able to sign at least three and probably more as there will almost always be 1-2 transfers.

There is also the possibility that Utah could fill that scholarship if any high impact players become available late in the process (like a good foreign kid deciding he wants to play in the US in college or a signee that is cut loose from another program for some reason), which is a nice thing to dream about but probably won't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    No doubt that if there were a senior transfer available that they thought could provide a positive impact they would be interested in him as there is almost no downside to that arrangement. However, it seems that it's been long enough since almost all of the transfers declared their intentions that I'm guessing there is not mutual interest between Utah and any such player. The likelihood is that the scholarship goes in the bank for the next recruiting class. Utah will have Lenz as a senior, Parker Van Dyke leaving on a mission (unless something changes) and this open scholarship. So Utah will be able to sign at least three and probably more as there will almost always be 1-2 transfers.

There is also the possibility that Utah could fill that scholarship if any high impact players become available late in the process (like a good foreign kid deciding he wants to play in the US in college or a signee that is cut loose from another program for some reason), which is a nice thing to dream about but probably won't happen.
    Thanks Blender. Good stuff.

I had forgotten about Van Dyke's coming mission. Anyone due to return from a mission in the next year or two, other than Monson?

Quote Originally Posted by Ute_In_Texas View Post
    Thanks Blender. Good stuff.

I had forgotten about Van Dyke's coming mission. Anyone due to return from a mission in the next year or two, other than Monson?
    There's the Wilkinson kid who played some during the disastrous 6-win season, but, like Monson, I don't think he will be on scholarship. I am not aware of any scholarship players returning from missions until Brandon Miller shows up prior to the 2015-16 season.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    There's the Wilkinson kid who played some during the disastrous 6-win season, but, like Monson, I don't think he will be on scholarship. I am not aware of any scholarship players returning from missions until Brandon Miller shows up prior to the 2015-16 season.
    To hammer home the unlikelihood of Wilkinson being on schollie, he only earned one in the season in question after Jiggy was booted from the team.

I agree with the sentiment here. Best to just sit on it unless something unlikely and amazing happens. I feel like we have quality depth at each position. It will be a good year to get the young guys some experience for the future.

I think we will be back in a postseason tournament this year, and I think that will do wonders for the future of our program.