Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pros/Cons of Church Callings

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll consult with you on talk topics. I may even cite to you: "As my Seattle-based architect friend said on a Utah Utes sports message board last week...."
    Architect? Man, that one hurts. It sounds so Ayn Rand-ian. Call me Peter Keating.

And I will be happy to throw around some talk topics. Are you in your own to choose, or do they give you a general starting platform?

Here are your first three:
    - Euthyphro Dilemma as it applies to how we choose to fulfill our church duties (substituted in this case for 'moral duty'): Is doing the right thing for our fellow man considered to be 'good' specifically because God wills it, or does God will it specifically because it is 'good'? How does this change in light of new revelations? Ergo, if new revelation changes an existing paradigm does that mean that something which was previously 'wrong' is now 'right', and if so does that mean that moral rightness is completely arbitrary? Conversely if the morality of a paradigm does NOT change in light of a revelation related to that paradigm, then does that mean that reality is derived from a non-divine source of values? **Give thus talk when you are ready to get released**
    (Probably best to avoid discussing the priesthood/temple ban prior to 1978).

- Peter Abélard's discussion of seeking truth as it applies to religion and our individual spiritual journeys, esp. in the face of challenges to your faith.
    Mix in this quote:
    "The key to wisdom is this-
    Constant and frequent questioning, for by doubting we are led to question and by questioning we arrive at truth."
    ~Peter Abélard, 1079 - 1142

- Use the following quote as it applies to accepting other people and forgiveness:
    "The beginning of love is to let those we love be perfectly themselves, and not to twist them to fit our own image. Otherwise we love only the reflection of ourselves we find in them"
    ~Thomas Merton, 1915-1968

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    What the? That's my assigned topic for my sacrament meeting talk this week? How did you?
    You should do that. Use both sides of the argument to argue AGAINST...and then FOR... marriage equality.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I found the quote I was looking for. It was Max Frisch:

My German is really rusty. Maybe I'll try a translation tomorrow. Anyone else want to give it a shot?
    Google Translate:

That it is the sign of non-love, that sin of his neighbor, or even to make a man a finished picture to say: So and so are you, and you're done "to which Julika, as instructed, turn Stiller can accuse "When you love someone , then allowed to him every facility open and defies all memories just ready to be amazed, to always amazed at how different it is, how diverse and not just like that, not a finished portrait as you you do it from your Julika. "

I know, gibberish. But it was fun!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I realize that he turned down the BYU coaching gig but making him a stake president seems vengeful and mean spirited. Seriously though, I can’t imagine trying to balance these two things.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/member...resident-48835

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I realize that he turned down the BYU coaching gig but making him a stake president seems vengeful and mean spirited. Seriously though, I can’t imagine trying to balance these two things.

https://www.thechurchnews.com/member...resident-48835

They could’ve made him a Stake patriarch.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Seems like nursery has just gone from being one of the most disdained callings to one of the favorites. My wife is in the nursery and went from being ready to be released to never wanting to be released in just three weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Seems like nursery has just gone from being one of the most disdained callings to one of the favorites. My wife is in the nursery and went from being ready to be released to never wanting to be released in just three weeks.

I’ve had a huge attitude adjustment, as well. I went from teaching the 9 year olds on Sunday and having the same boys on Tuesdays for Cub Scouts, to being released from Cub Scouts and despite getting assigned to 5 year old primary, they gave us a third teacher, so not only are we down to 20 minutes of classroom time, but we rotate out every third week. It’s been amazing.