Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cafe Rio Sucks!

Cafe Rio Sucks!

Just lifting my leg and marking my territory.

I like where your head is at.

i am almost convinced that the only place to get decent mexican food is in texas, arizona, new mexico, or from a taco truck.

Lorenas in West Bountiful can't be beat for great Mexican!

I know a secret about FMCoug. (snicker)

I don't mind Cafe Rio for what it is. I realize it is not "authentic" but I quite enjoy some of the stuff they make. I also enjoy "real" Mexican food from other places or our favorite spot in Old Town San Diego.

GUBA, what place in Old Town do you like? I went to one of the restaurants last time I was down there and was underwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    GUBA, what place in Old Town do you like? I went to one of the restaurants last time I was down there and was underwhelmed.
    We have been to a few there but our all-time favorite is Cafe Coyote. Consistently good food and the fresh made tortillas are outstanding!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    i am almost convinced that the only place to get decent mexican food is in texas, arizona, new mexico, or from a taco truck.

California is the best place for Mexican food outside of Mexico...duh

Lonestar Taqueria is quite good. I know the family who runs it, they emigrated from Mexico so it's 'authentic'

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post

Orangeute lives in the far northern reaches of CA. He gets a pass for not understanding.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Some of the best advice I was given was to stay away from Mexican food above the Utah southern border all the way north into Canada, then into Canada.

-What would you do
    if you saw spaceships over Glasgow?
    Would you fear them?
    Every aircraft, every camera, is a wish that wasn't granted.

What was that for?
    Try to be bad.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoUteTroutHead View Post
    Some of the best advice I was given was to stay away from Mexican food above the Utah southern border all the way north into Canada, then into Canada.
    There is no Mexican food in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post

California is outside of Mexico?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Orangeute lives in the far northern reaches of CA. He gets a pass for not understanding.
    He doesn't live in California, he lives in the State of Jefferson...

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Lonestar Taqueria is quite good. I know the family who runs it, they emigrated from Mexico so it's 'authentic'
    Anyone who thinks there is not good Mexican in Utah has never been to Lonestar, Chungas, or any of the various taco carts.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Mmmmm....went and had me some tacos for lunch today at Cafe Rio. Good stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    I don't mind Cafe Rio for what it is. I realize it is not "authentic" but I quite enjoy some of the stuff they make. I also enjoy "real" Mexican food from other places or our favorite spot in Old Town San Diego.
    Agreed. Just because something's authentic doesn't automatically make it better and just because somethings not authentic doesn't make it bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia Ute View Post
    Mmmmm....went and had me some tacos for lunch today at Cafe Rio. Good stuff!
    They are like friggin Zebra Mussels. They will take over the world.

(I actually like the food at CR, but hate the lines and hate that a supposedly 'healthy' salad pushes 1600 calories...)

The Red Iguana FTW. Really, no place in SLC compares.

Iguana, Chungas and the place across the street from chungas are great Mexican food in SLC.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    “The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively”
    ~Bob Marley

I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but I haven't yet tried any of the taco carts. Are they all pretty much the same, or are some locations better than others? What's best to order?

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    The Tack Bell off I5 in Redding is fantastic.

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Wait, when you bought me lunch last year when I was driving through didn't we go to a Mexican place? :shakeheadindisgust:

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    Wait, when you bought me lunch last year when I was driving through didn't we go to a Mexican place? :shakeheadindisgust:
    Not my pick. That was Steelblue's place. Then he didn't even eat with us. I took you to the fancy Japanese place. Steelblue is low class. I'm high society.

Yep, spreading like wildfire out here in VA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I know a secret about FMCoug. (snicker)
    The Dude thinks that me hating Café Rio but liking soup and breadsticks and Olive Garden is somehow hypocritical or inconsistent. I don't see it that way. CR is not about whether it is authentic or not to me ... it's just crappy food.

I'm down with this. To me it's just not good food, authentic or otherwise. If you like it more power to you. See OG point above.

We have been to a few there but our all-time favorite is Cafe Coyote. Consistently good food and the fresh made tortillas are outstanding!
    Love Cafe Coyote. Old Town Mexican Cafe is good too.

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    The Dude thinks that me hating Café Rio but liking soup and breadsticks and Olive Garden is somehow hypocritical or inconsistent. I don't see it that way. CR is not about whether it is authentic or not to me ... it's just crappy food.
    And Olive Garden isn't?

Sorry man, your credibility is shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Lonestar is amazing! I go there most days after skiing. Nothing like a half carne asada burrito or some fish tacos from Lonestar! Two of my good buddies work there and i also know the family running it!

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    The Dude thinks that me hating Café Rio but liking soup and breadsticks and Olive Garden is somehow hypocritical or inconsistent.
    I like Olive Garden's soup and breadsticks, too. The price is right and I just like it, damnit. I also don't mind Cafe Rio. I just think people have seriously inflated ideas about its merit. I normally wouldn't pay for Cafe Rio but I happily ate my share of free Westlaw rep lunches from there during law school.
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." - Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Funk View Post
    I like Olive Garden's soup and breadsticks, too. The price is right and I just like it, damnit. I also don't mind Cafe Rio. I just think people have seriously inflated ideas about its merit. I normally wouldn't pay for Cafe Rio but I happily ate my share of free Westlaw rep lunches from there during law school.
    The key to understanding is this: One does not go to Cafe Rio for Mexican food. One goes there for Cafe Rio food. I actually like it, but it's no place to go if one is interested in, um, watching one's weight.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell