Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cafe Rio Sucks!

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    The discussion of this subject has always seemed odd to me. (BTW, the guy who started Cafe Rio was from Bountiful - he's since passed away, and far too young -- in his early 40s). It's just food, and every kind has its buyer, it seems to me. There used to be a place in Bountiful called Casa Melinda, and it was the most Gringo-ized Mexican-themed food I've ever tasted. But my in-laws loved it. So did lots of other Bountiful folks. But we are not talking about Mexican food, we are talking about Mexican-themed food, IMO.

Cuisine evolves. The only place to get "real" (i.e., less-evolved) Mexican-themed food is in Mexico. The same is true of most ethnic dishes. For example, on the very rare occasion when I want a pupusa (Salvadoran), there are plenty of pupuserias in L.A. The more recently the owner immigrated from El Salvador, the more it reminds me of the pupusas I used to eat on my mission. The ones at farmer's markets are the most authentic from that standpoint. But the longer the purveyor has been in the USA, the more creative he or she gets (different ingredients, different type of preparation, oil used for frying, etc.), and the more evolved the food is. I'll bet if I went back to El Salvador I'd find that pupusas are different and more varied now than they were 30 years ago. I could say the same thing about Guatemalan tamales. Or "Italian" pizza, for that matter. When it comes to food I guess I am a firm believer in evolution.

So when I am in Salt Lake and want Mexican-themed food, I can choose Cafe Rio or Chipotle (I prefer Chipotle) or Red Iguana or that place at the Rio Grande terminal. I'll go based on what sounds good to me at the time. But I am under no illusion that I will be getting "real" Mexican food. I'm not even sure what that means, or if I can get it even in Mexico.

End of rant! Not directed at you, SC Coug. Just at the subject in general.
    No, I hear you. I just don't like how Cafe Rio tastes (or Chipotle, for that matter - by the way, started by a guy from Colorado who went to culinary school in New York, became a line cook in San Francisco, and liked San Francisco-Mex, so he brought it to Colorado - McDonalds was a major investor until 2006), and I hate that my wife and daughter like it and always want to go there.

Believe me, I go to Taco Bell and Del Taco as much as anyone. And I would rather go to either those than to Chipotle.

But my favorite Cali-Mex is definitely Wahoo's. I have been playing with the idea of grabbing a taco from one of those taco trucks in Santa Ana, though.

I always wanted to go to Guadalahonkey's, which used to be somewhere south of Salt Lake. I don't think it's there any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    I think it's funny.

Another question for the hater crowd: why the obsession with Cafe Rio with hardly a peep about Taco Bell? You can't possibly find a more bastardized inauthentic form of Mexican food than Taco Bell and they absolutely dwarf Cafe Rio.

Answer: not a Utah product.
    Why do Utahns and California Mormons love it so much (far more than its food quality merits)? Answer: it's a Utah product.

I think it's funny.

Another question for the hater crowd: why the obsession with Cafe Rio with hardly a peep about Taco Bell? You can't possibly find a more bastardized inauthentic form of Mexican food than Taco Bell and they absolutely dwarf Cafe Rio.

Also, nobody claims Taco Bell is their favorite restaurant. Or even that it's quality or authentic food. It's cheap Mexican-inspired food that you can grab on the run, or when you have the munchies.

Are you saying they don't have Doritos tacos in Mexico?

And why do you care? Why on earth would that "kill you"?

Keep in mind that these people probably love the Olive Garden too.
    And Sizzler.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
    Why do Utahns and California Mormons love it so much (far more than its food quality merits)? Answer: it's a Utah product.
    A Utah product experiencing strong growth outside of the state. Sorry. It's true.

I guarantee you that Taco Bell does far more business in Utah. (Far more than its food quality merits)

And Sizzler.
    And Chuck-O-Rama!

I think it's funny.

1. Taco Bell and Del Taco have better food.
    2. You don't find people raving about the chance to go to Taco Bell or listing it as their favorite restaurant per the above. Were this so, you would find me
    mocking them online too!

I think it's funny too. I guess I care because I considrer my sojourn in Utah my "misison to the poor clueless Utah Mormons"! If I save but one soul it will all be worth it. And it sounds like tooblue has avoided Cafe Rio based on my online rants so I expect a "Well Done Thou Good and Faithful Servant".

Quote Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
    1. Taco Bell and Del Taco have better food.
    2. You don't find people raving about the chance to go to Taco Bell or listing it as their favorite restaurant per the above. Were this so, you would find me
    mocking them online too!

I think it's funny too. I guess I care because I considrer my sojourn in Utah my "misison to the poor clueless Utah Mormons"! If I save but one soul it will all be worth it. And it sounds like tooblue has avoided Cafe Rio based on my online rants so I expect a "Well Done Thou Good and Faithful Servant".
    Bless you for your labor of love.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I rarely eat at either place, but I crave taco bell more often than cafe rio. I like their food more, Utah product or no. Also, taco bell is cheaper and has a drive through.

I will confess, I had a bad experience my first time at a Cafe Rio. My wife and I met a friend for lunch. I had a Utah t-shirt on. There was a Dad there with his family who had a BYU shirt on, and he trashed talked to me the whole time I stood in line, which was quite a long time. It was unpleasant, and it got even worse when I kicked him in the teeth, causing all his kids to break into tears.

I had a worse encounter during the Carthage jail tour when a BYU fan made fun of my 5 year old son for wearing a Utah t-shirt, but I would go back to Carthage jail anytime. So it must be more than just the negative experience keeping me away from Cafe Rio.
    It sounds like it is OK to like Taco Bell as long as you DON'T LIKE IT TOO MUCH! Then it is a cardinal sin.

Sorry about those BYU fans. I hope they didn't pour root beer on your head.

It sounds like it is OK to like Taco Bell as long as you DON'T LIKE IT TOO MUCH! Then it is a cardinal sin.

Sorry about those BYU fans. I hope they didn't pour root beer on your head.
    Everyone knows they don't sell beer at Carthage jail.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I guess so.

I have enough good BYU fan friends to know I was dealing with outliers. And I've seen the outliers on my own side too. No big deal. I was really steamed at the jail because it was directed at my son. But I realized that if I was going to be mad, it would detract from a once in a lifetime experience. That helped me calm down and enjoy the tour.
    We had the same experience (in reverse) at a national park. My wife went into momma bear mode and ripped the guy a new one. You should have seen him backpedal.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GUBA View Post
    It is hip to hate on Cafe Rio in some circles it seems. I sometimes go there just to kind of say F#$& you to the haters. I also think Crown Burger is terribly overrated but my opinion seems to go against the established food dogma in this state.
    fist bump

I think it's funny.

Because if I am going to eat a crappy Mexican food knock off, I can stomach paying $0.99 for a taco vs. $7.00+. There is no delusion of quality at taco bell.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I will say that there is a Taco Bell close to our house and when I want a quick, tasty dirt-cheap meal, I go there and I enjoy it, doggonit! It is possible to get a reasonably healthy meal there. For example, the Fresco Chicken Burrito and a Diet Pepsi. Guaranteed to send you on your way feeling happy, healthy and frugal.

(Teen-agers love Taco Bell because they can get tons of cheap unhealthy food there, but that's another story.)
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-10-2013 at 03:58 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Everyone knows they don't sell beer at Carthage jail.
    But they do drink wine!

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Because if I am going to eat a crappy Mexican food knock off, I can stomach paying $0.99 for a taco vs. $7.00+. There is no delusion of quality at taco bell.
    ucj
    What is wrong with MorMex/UMex? Why is it any more or less acceptable than TexMex/CaliMex/SanFranMex? None of it is "authentic." I've eaten at plenty of what locals would call "the best Mexican" in town in San Diego, LA, Phoenix.... I wouldn't say any of it is any "better" than, say, Red Iguana. Just different. But not really all that much.

Taco Bell is fast food. Of course it will be cheaper than quick service.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    ucj
    What is wrong with MorMex/UMex? Why is it any more or less acceptable than TexMex/CaliMex/SanFranMex? None of it is "authentic." I've eaten at plenty of what locals would call "the best Mexican" in town in San Diego, LA, Phoenix.... I wouldn't say any of it is any "better" than, say, Red Iguana. Just different. But not really all that much.

I don't differentiate. MoMex, TexMex, etc. Does it taste good? The trouble I have with Cafe Rio is that I can honestly say that there isn't a single thing on their menu that I like. And if you could see my waistline, you would understand that I am not very picky person. At the other "comparables", there is at least one menu item that like and will order....Mango Shrimp Salad at Costa Vida, Green Chili Chicken Salad, with added jalapenos at Bajio's. At Café Rio, nothing memorable.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    A fellow cheapskate!

:fistbump:

I've tried two items at Cafe Rio. I had a shredded beef burrito (enchilada style with a green tomatillo sauce) and a grilled chicken salad (creamy tomatillo dressing). Neither of these items seemed overly sweet to me. Is this what some of you are saying is too sweet?

I thought the food was fine. I also think their tres leches is pretty decent for fast casual.

Now you guys are making me hungry. I haven't had lunch yet ... fortunately there is a Taco Bell right next to the client site I'm at so I think I'll run over there and get some .99 tacos. It's a per diem contract so I'm still cheap on the food thing. That and I haven't discovered Oregon-Mex yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    ucj

Because that food tastes good. And is a MUCH closer approximation to authentic than MoMex. All the variations you menitoned above actually use stuff like jalapeno's in their food for example.

Now you guys are making me hungry. I haven't had lunch yet ... fortunately there is a Taco Bell right next to the client site I'm at so I think I'll run over there and get some .99 tacos. It's a per diem contract so I'm still cheap on the food thing. That and I haven't discovered Oregon-Mex yet.
    Maybe this is it. I will return and report.

http://www.longboardlouies.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post
    I've tried two items at Cafe Rio. I had a shredded beef burrito (enchilada style with a green tomatillo sauce) and a grilled chicken salad (creamy tomatillo dressing). Neither of these items seemed overly sweet to me. Is this what some of you are saying is too sweet?

I thought the food was fine. I also think their tres leches is pretty decent for fast casual.
    No. Their pork is the absurdly sweet stuff, and has become their signature dish, as far as I can tell. The other stuff is pretty good, I think, as long as you don't mind eating MoMex, which I didn't even know existed until a few minutes ago.

I know I am just kind of jumping in here.........

But there is one reason and one reason only that i keep going back to the centerville taco bell: to write a book.

I have had so many experiences there over the years that would lead a normal person to never go back. but me? I keep going just to see what theyll do next.

The highlights so far:

-Placed my order, waited for about 80 minutes (no typo) in line to get to the window to pay/get my food. Once at the window, I anticipated that the worker would sincerely apologize for my 1 hr+ wait. Nope. First words out of his mouth were (shouting) "ARE YOU GOING TO EVEN GET YOUR FOOD, OR ARE YOU JUST GOING TO DRIVE AWAY!!!!!?!?!?! IM SICK OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

-was welcomed to the drive thru and told that they were out of soft shells, hard shells, chicken, steak, shredded beef, cheese, and lettuce. Honestly. What on planet earth am I supposed to order in that case?

-had an EXTREMELY obese drive thru worker tell me (completely out of the blue) that he had a tattoo on his abdomen and showed me by lifting up his shirt.

I haven't even scratched the surface either.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Public View Post

That's odd. Normally they have a guy there that puts a gun to your head and makes you order the sweet pork.

That's odd. Normally they have a guy there that puts a gun to your head and makes you order the sweet pork.
    I'll be honest, when I have had my whole family together in Salt Lake and it's been movie or game night, we have been known to send one of us down to the Cafe Rio on 400 South to pick up a bunch of food (including the much-reviled pork salad) and then to pig out on it all while we play games or watch the movie. And we enjoy it. I hereby accept my classification as a food troglodyte. We also really like the Red Iguana but (sorry!) do not consider it a really great Mexican food treat and usually won't wait in line for it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I always wanted to go to Guadalahonkey's, which used to be somewhere south of Salt Lake. I don't think it's there any more.
    Guadalahonkeys is on 12300 south and about 300 east in Draper. If I'm in the mood for Mexican we either go to Guadalahonkeys or La Fountain ( formerly known as La Puente). Not sure how authentic they are but we like them.

Growing up we used to hit up La Cosina all the time. It didn't hurt that the owners lived across the street from us. Nothing like a Greek family running a Mexican restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Guadalahonkeys is on 12300 south and about 300 east in Draper.
    Awesome! I'm going to try to go there next time I'm in Utah. Just so I can say I've been to Guadalahonkeys.

Awesome! I'm going to try to go there next time I'm in Utah. Just so I can say I've been to Guadalahonkeys.
    It wins the prize for restaurant naming.

--Yeats

Maybe this is it. I will return and report.

http://www.longboardlouies.com/
    Stopped by this place for dinner tonight. Pretty much your run of the mill Chipotle-style burrito joint. I'd say Chipotle, Barbocoa, and Costa Vida are all better. It was of course light years better than Cafe Rio.