Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

We don't have a 2017-18 thread yet, but Bealer officially got his extra year.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Good. Now we just need a good transfer or two for 2017.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Another interview with Bill Reilly today: https://espn700sports.com/interviews...coach-5-17-17/

Some highlights - with two scholarships left, they've got some guys they are talking to, but he is not going to panic and pick guys up...it's got to be the right guy.

With Kuz leaving, he is expecting (hoping? wishing? praying?) Rawson to have a big Senior season. He also said he expects Chris Seely to contribute, though he's not a great student, so Larry is working with him as well to mature. He was also positive about Donnie Tillman, and the other freshman we just signed from Vegas.

Said that Barefield is trying to get all the guys back early to work together.

The foreign trip is to Barcelona Spain and Paris France. He's excited about the bonding and Xs and Os getting started early. On a scale of 1-10, the competition they should be playing there is around an 8 (or that is what they requested).

Talked about Kuz leaving and that he felt it was better for Kyle to come back to school, but obviously he has a biased opinion there, and he felt like his voice wasn't totally heard by Kyle. But he also said that Kyle is in a great position because he got his degree. Now that he's in the draft he's hopeful that he represents the program well.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Since Bealer was stuck in a boot and couldn't get away, I asked him which of the young guys I'll be looking at next March to be stepping up next year.

He said Tillman and PoPoola have been doing really well. Especially "Pup".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting piece by Kenneth Ogbe, with some details of his story that were previously unknown, to me, at least.

http://gouvu.com/news/2017/10/23/men...ot-scared.aspx

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Interesting piece by Kenneth Ogbe, with some details of his story that were previously unknown, to me, at least.

It certainly doesn’t make Utah out to be the bad guy like many of the previous stories did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great story. I completely understand why the U told him what they did and why he decided to transfer. It was the right move all around.

The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Kragthorpe: Utes' Larry Krystkowiak is looking like the Pac-12's Coach of the Year

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/0...h-of-the-year/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I seem to recall that there were a number of us who lamented only getting Bibbins instead of some higher profile grad transfers. Where would this team be without Bibbins. Also, Gabe Bealer. He has come in when called upon and usually hit big shots. Is a good guy and doesn't create drama.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I seem to recall that there were a number of us who lamented only getting Bibbins instead of some higher profile grad transfers. Where would this team be without Bibbins. Also, Gabe Bealer. He has come in when called upon and usually hit big shots. Is a good guy and doesn't create drama.
    My faith in Larry‘s ability to evaluate talent and coach kids up has been strengthened this season, what with Bibbins, Rawson, and Bealer. Even van Dyke has stepped up and played an important role several times.

--Yeats

Can I be both thrilled and irritated at the same time when it comes to Bibbins? I think Seattle said a while back that it's too bad Bibbins - a fifth-year transfer - is the best player on a team this many years into Larry's tenure. Forgive me if I'm putting words in your mouth Seattle but I feel that way too. It bothers me; but what an addition! He is a terrific player. His leadership may be the most important "skill" that he brings.

Speaking of Seattle, I was much closer to his view of the team than anyone else as the season began. I suppose they could crater these last three games but I'll be very surprised and even angry if that happens. My expectations are that they win the last three or go 2-1. I did not have those expectations as league play began.

I still have some issues with Larry but I admit I live in the past, expecting Majerus-like game-planning and defense. Those are two areas that the staff and players have done much better this season. It does irk me that our opponents' best player(s) still usually play very well against us.

Anyway, I'm going to enjoy having the opportunity to play for second or third as we move into the final two weeks of league play.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Speaking of Seattle, I was much closer to his view of the team than anyone else as the season began. I suppose they could crater these last three games but I'll be very surprised and even angry if that happens. My expectations are that they win the last three or go 2-1. I did not have those expectations as league play began.
    I think asking for 3-0 to end the year is overly optimistic. It is possible, but unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I think asking for 3-0 to end the year is overly optimistic. It is possible, but unlikely.
    Especially when each of the three opponents trounced us in the first meeting. Still, it's fun to have a chance at the dance.

Like all of modern basketball, it will come down to outside shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Especially when each of the three opponents trounced us in the first meeting. Still, it's fun to have a chance at the dance.

Like all of modern basketball, it will come down to outside shooting.
    Although, everyone of those opponents is terrific at home and more or less horrible on the road.

Beating UCLA is the key. If we win that, USC on the back end at altitude with short rest and without Boatright should have better odds. A week to prepare for Colorado should be enough. Knock on wood.

And I just noticed that the USC game is at 12:30. That will hurt the crowd, but is an awfully short turn around for a team still on Pacific time.

If we dont have barefield or jayce, everything changes. [/QUOTE]
    Last edited by concerned; Yesterday at 10:51 AM.

I took a look at Lunardi's projections this morning. As of right now, he has the Pac-12 at two bids with 4 teams among the 8 that just missed the cut. Included in those 4 are us, and our two opponents this week. Tremendous opportunity to move up, but we will be getting their best shot. And, like you guys said, they both beat us up pretty good earlier this year.

Kragthorpe: Utes' Larry Krystkowiak is looking like the Pac-12's Coach of the Year

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2018/0...h-of-the-year/
    Kurt follows me on Twitter, and this is the second time in two weeks he's taken a significant talking point of mine and put it in his column. I should be on his payroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Stop worrying. We got this ...

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Kurt follows me on Twitter, and this is the second time in two weeks he's taken a significant talking point of mine and put it in his column. I should be on his payroll.
    To be fair, that one was low hanging fruit.