Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Both Loveridge and Taylor signed with pro teams in Hungary this week.

Kim tillie had 6 points today against the US

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Both Loveridge and Taylor signed with pro teams in Hungary this week.

Kim tillie had 6 points today against the US
    Great news, all around.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Great news, all around.
    Except for the French, if they are relying on players of Tillie's caliber.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Looks like Chris Jones is headed back to Utah. The Utah State program is a big pile of poo right now. http://m.cachevalleydaily.com/mobile...18fa2ba3a.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to laugh as the pictures from fan fest got posted last night. I did not recognize more than half of the roster.

I had to laugh as the pictures from fan fest got posted last night. I did not recognize more than half of the roster.
    Yeah, I was there with my kids. I take my son to several basketball games each year and always try to help him get to know the team. This time it was like "that's Kuz, that's Lorenzo, that's Jayce and.....uh, I think that's Gabe Bealer but I'm not even sure...." A really nice player helped my son get the ball a few times so he could take some shots and I didn't even know his name to help my son thank him properly. I think it was either Coleman or Zamora. They did seem to be a nice group of guys who were enjoying themselves with the fans.

Haha. Yeah. I joked about how many new guys there were and asked all the guys I didn't recognize what their names were. I also asked them all who would win a 3 point shooting contest. While Coleman and Seeley both said they would, all the walk ons and Kuzma said PVD, hands down.

Side note: when I first started asking, I made the mistake of asking who the best shooter was. They all said Jayce. That's when I realized my mistake since he's always shooting 3' from the rim. Still it is nice to hear that he is consistently making them.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Haha. Yeah. I joked about how many new guys there were and asked all the guys I didn't recognize what their names were. I also asked them all who would win a 3 point shooting contest. While Coleman and Seeley both said they would, all the walk ons and Kuzma said PVD, hands down.
    No votes for Connor? I would like to see the 3 point contest.

Bossi's Best: Coaches who identify under-the-radar talent

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals....e-radar-talent

LK makes the list, and is tops in the PAC-12. He's in pretty company nationally too. Read the whole thing!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Clips from Utah's upset of UCLA in the 1983 Round of 32. I remember that game well. Interesting how willowy (skinny) players were back then.

https://www.facebook.com/lowell.brow...10807625683170

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Really enjoyable Keith Van Horn interview with Riley:

https://espn700sports.com/bill-riley...time-for-utah/

--Yeats

This sort of fits here...Mark Gottfried out at NC State. He was linked to the Utah job at one point, or at least some of our fans wanted him. Also has Heath Schoyer on his staff, former Wyoming coach and Jim Boylen adversary.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

I believe Larry has earned our patience. He has lots more to prove but he's running the program intelligently within the structural constraints of the Utah job. The trajectory is excellent. If he sticks with it and maintains fan support he could be like Whittingham is in football. Deposit $.02.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Illinois, lsu, nc state, and Missouri are all hiring.

Best way to become a better coach in the eyes of fans & have them love you---be chased by other schools.

Larry K has a pretty good job here----good salary, strong backing from Hill & big donors, one of top buildings in the country, his family likes it here, & he is from the West.

not sure that Illinois is a move up or not.\, hope not.

Utah basketball: Looking forward, Larry Krystkowiak vows to focus more on building culture

Interesting article based on a long interview. I'll sit back and read the withering responses.

--Yeats

Larry on with Bill Reilly today: https://espn700sports.com/interviews...coach-4-13-17/

Focused a lot of his comments on the culture of the program and getting away from that. Said that after the season he sat down with the team and owned his role in the team's poor performance this year - and that some of the guys on the team did as well, and that they are now rejuvenated.

He (obviously) spoke very positively about Donnie Tillman and said that he hopes that they'll have some good recruiting news coming down the pike very soon. Also said he expects Kuzma to be back next year, but if he's not, he's got some guys at the 3-4 that are willing to wait and see what happens with Kuz. Talked about the transfers and that in some cases the players were removed from the program...which speaks to his comment in the Goon article on nuance with the transfers - which I do think is important to note.

He went on a relatively long rant about transfers and sort of where we are as a society...which lead to a comment about having lengthy meetings as a staff about player evaluation etc. Gives you some real insight, I think, into how Larry is wired.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Utah basketball: Looking forward, Larry Krystkowiak vows to focus more on building culture

Interesting article based on a long interview. I'll sit back and read the withering responses.
    From the article:

In Krystkowiak's view, the lack of culture contributed to swings late in the season, [. . .]
    It also gives context to why Devon Daniels and JoJo Zamora are on their way out after one season apiece. In particular, Daniels set an early tone as the future of the program, stepping straight into the starting lineup and exciting fans with his precocious athleticism. But Daniels ran afoul of the coaching staff along the way — an issue neither Daniels nor Krystkowiak wanted to discuss in detail — and was suspended for three games late in the season. Utah decided it would be better to make a break with the promising wing after the season ended.
    "I made the determination, based on behavior and consistency and the way things weren't being accomplished and done, that there's probably going to be programs that make better sense for these guys," Krystkowiak said. "You gotta remember things, gotta be accountable for things and there's certain standards for how you treat people. It was a decision that I made."
    Am I to understand that JoJo was a problem-child as well? Or is he leaving because he couldn't really play vs. Pac-12 competition?

Larry's use of the phrase "these guys" makes me wonder if JoJo had culture issues as well. (not that it matters all that much now, I guess)
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Larry on with Bill Reilly today: https://espn700sports.com/interviews...coach-4-13-17/

Focused a lot of his comments on the culture of the program and getting away from that. Said that after the season he sat down with the team and owned his role in the team's poor performance this year - and that some of the guys on the team did as well, and that they are now rejuvenated.

He (obviously) spoke very positively about Donnie Tillman and said that he hopes that they'll have some good recruiting news coming down the pike very soon. Also said he expects Kuzma to be back next year, but if he's not, he's got some guys at the 3-4 that are willing to wait and see what happens with Kuz. Talked about the transfers and that in some cases the players were removed from the program...which speaks to his comment in the Goon article on nuance with the transfers - which I do think is important to note.

He went on a relatively long rant about transfers and sort of where we are as a society...which lead to a comment about having lengthy meetings as a staff about player evaluation etc. Gives you some real insight, I think, into how Larry is wired.
    That was a really cool interview. Doesn't sound like he is working the transfer market very hard. I really like Larry.

Have to like the guy---he is no BS.

Sounds like Zamora was a problem too---not just Daniels.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post

He did lose some minutes in the middle part of the season, so it makes sense.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post

Larry made that clear in his interview with Bill.

He said he wanted to make it clear he'd asked them (Zamora and Daniels) to leave, that neither transfer was voluntary. He also made it clear it wasn't a one time issue, and that he had spent too much time on plays and not enough time on culture

That was an assuring interview. Sounds like there could/should be some more good news around the corner with expected immediate dividends.

That was an assuring interview.
    I should probably listen. I haven't been feeling overly optimistic about basketball lately.

That was an assuring interview. Sounds like there could/should be some more good news around the corner with expected immediate dividends.

Yup...it did sound optimistic. We'll see. Let the results speak.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I should probably listen. I haven't been feeling overly optimistic about basketball lately.
    Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Yup...it did sound optimistic. We'll see. Let the results speak.
    For me the most assuring thing about the interview was his ability to dissect the season and see where he personally could improve as a coach. I got tired of the tough guy routine in his media interviews during the season. One thing I've always respected about Kyle is that he puts a lot of the blame on the coaches. I feel like this interview started to veer Larry in that direction, and made him the leader of the program we all think (hope) he is.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    For me the most assuring thing about the interview was his ability to dissect the season and see where he personally could improve as a coach. I got tired of the tough guy routine in his media interviews during the season. One thing I've always respected about Kyle is that he puts a lot of the blame on the coaches. I feel like this interview started to veer Larry in that direction, and made him the leader of the program we all think (hope) he is.
    Agreed. That said, I did not agree with LK's emphasis on the fact that "he" asked the players to leave. I think I would have phrased it differently and focused more on the culture. Just let it go.
    Last edited by justaute; 04-14-2017 at 02:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Agreed. That said, I did not agree with LK's emphasis on the fact that "he" asked the players to leave. I think I could have phased it differently and focus more on the culture. Just let it go.
    Yeah - that had to be in response to some of the pressure he's getting from somewhere stating "look at all these numbers of transfers." For him to clarify that several times and note that there is nuance to each of these transfers, to me, was a signal that he's at least been asked about it from the guy at the top.