Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This parking garage is just west of the basketball center. You can see the workmen installing the grass turf that will be on top of the building. It will be lighted and used for some sports practices -- not sure which -- and other activities.

When I was a U student parking terraces were verboten. The plan was to make people take mass transit and to reduce on-campus parking steadily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When I worked there from '99 to '01 they wanted parking garages but the cost ($10,000 per parking spot) was too high and donors didn't want to fund parking spots.

When I was a U student parking terraces were verboten. The plan was to make people take mass transit and to reduce on-campus parking steadily.

Leave it to a Californian to argue that there aren't enough places to park in Salt Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    When I worked there from '99 to '01 they wanted parking garages but the cost ($10,000 per parking spot) was too high and donors didn't want to fund parking spots.

Maybe I have shared this on the board before, but when I was a student, there was a guy running for student government who got a lot of attention because he wanted to build a parking lot under President's circle..........yeah, most people gave that one a hard pass.....

What could possibly go wrong? It would only cost a few hundred million...

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Maybe I have shared this on the board before, but when I was a student, there was a guy running for student government who got a lot of attention because he wanted to build a parking lot under President's circle..........yeah, most people gave that one a hard pass.....
    Was it a spoof campaign? When I was a student, the spoof campaigns were all the rage....of course most of those were run by my good friend, creator of the "Apathy Party."

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Was it a spoof campaign? When I was a student, the spoof campaigns were all the rage....of course most of those were run by my good friend, creator of the "Apathy Party."
    No, in fact, this guy was probably the most sincere candidate I saw in my time up there. He seemed to genuinely want to make things better for students, he just wasn't all that bright. There was a spoof campaign that same year, it was the "Ninja Party" for people who either didn't care or were annoyed by all the posters. Ninja got my vote.

I actually felt bad for Mr Underground Parking Garage. I went to every single debate and no matter what else he said, the other candidates always jabbed him about that. He then backtracked and said he wanted to do a feasibility study for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Leave it to a Californian to argue that there aren't enough places to park in Salt Lake
    Well, there aren't!!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

The Center this morning.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The view from the south.

--Yeats

The opening of the new practice facility will be live streamed at 11:30 MT today: http://pac-12.com/live/university-utah

Just watched the grand opening ceremony.

Great remarks from everyone.

Larry mentioned that the one thing he truly remembers from Chris Hill when he was hired was Chris' insistence that he had to restore the program to the top. He said that was Chris one goal before he retires at some point.

Jon Huntsman was his usual self. Downplayed his role and importance. He truly is an amazing person.

Lynne Roberts passes the press conference eye test. Well spoken and engaging. She's a good counterpart to Larry.

Brandon Taylor spoke. Did a great job. Said his only fear with this new facility is they don't have to share a court anymore so Larry can have them practice whenever

All around a great little production.

Oh I forgot. The men's head coaches office is named the "Arnie Ferrin Office"

Do you suppose Vegas Ute is happy now? maybe

Mr. Crimson? highly unlikely.

The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

I couldn't go because of a funeral I needed to attend so my son and daughter represented me. Here's a shot from this morning:

--Yeats

A shot my daughter took of the team meeting room.

--Yeats

A few pics from the Athletic Dept

https://www.facebook.com/UtahMBasket...90637477627863

The entrance:

UteHoopsCenter.jpg

--Yeats

Terrific photos, all. Now, all we need is more valued recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Terrific photos, all. Now, all we need is more valued recruits.
    It's going to be awesome to finally be able to go head to head with programs like Oregon State.

The place really has the 'wow' factor they all talked about.

Most of the players were there: Ogbe looks bigger-- almost as big as Reyes. Bonam looks thinner than in some photos. Brekkot did not look much bigger--stronger, but hard to tell with him as he is very "reserved". Kuzma looker bigger--filled out. Jakob hard to tell as he was surrounded by reporters.

They just moved in today & practice starts tomorrow.

hard to believe a recruit would go elsewhere after seeing this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    The place really has the 'wow' factor they all talked about.

Most of the players were there: Ogbe looks bigger-- almost as big as Reyes. Bonam looks thinner than in some photos. Brekkot did not look much bigger--stronger, but hard to tell with him as he is very "reserved". Kuzma looker bigger--filled out. Jakob hard to tell as he was surrounded by reporters.

They just moved in today & practice starts tomorrow.

hard to believe a recruit would go elsewhere after seeing this place.
    Bonam has dropped 35 pounds since arriving at Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Bonam has dropped 35 pounds since arriving at Utah

Do you know if that was planned? I assume so. Was he a bit overweight when he came?

--Yeats

Do you know if that was planned? I assume so. Was he a bit overweight when he came?

From what little I've heard it was. He was listed at 190 coming out of HS (he's listed at 6'4") and was listed at 215 on Utah's roster.

Guessing he may have gotten even higher than the 215.

Utah's other guards are all 6'5 or 6'6" around 190.

I would also guess his weight training here is far superior to JC (the last I heard out dietitians and strength guys are doing some high tech stuff)

Jason Washburn story about his success in Europe, from his local town newspaper:

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/s...itle/83381250/

"It's men in shorts." -- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

Jason Washburn story about his success in Europe, from his local town newspaper:

http://www.battlecreekenquirer.com/s...itle/83381250/

He always seemed like a great kid. I'm happy to see him have continued success.

--Yeats

ESPN's Eamonn Brennan: Looking ahead: After Utah's rebirth, Larry Krystkowiak has more to replace than ever

His summation:

The best reason to be optimistic in all of this is, of course, Krystkowiak himself. Five seasons ago, he inherited a program transitioning to Pac-12 from the Mountain West, where it had, the previous season, finished 13-18 overall and 6-10 in league play. His first season on the job was that six-win disaster, in large part because his hollowed-out roster's best player (shouts to Jiggy Watkins) had to be kicked off the team three weeks into January. A few seasons later, Utah is not only relevant but led by a coach whose team-building chops can be trusted implicitly. He'll figure things out.

The need to compensate for losses such as Wright and Poeltl in back-to-back seasons is as good a sign as any of how far Utah has come. But if a step back felt plausible a year ago, it feels all but guaranteed now.
    ...which is is the same optimistic hope many of us harbor, including me.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...lace-than-ever

--Yeats

Fun photo.

image.jpg

--Yeats

this is one terrible, no good home bb schedule