Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Utah Basketball Rebuild Project Thread: 2013 and after

I gotta say, Utes look legit. This I would chalk up as a quality win, considering how Ball St has hung with some good programs. Wow what a different experience watching this game. I hope we can keep it up.

Tonight was my first opportunity to see this team play in person. They were pretty impressive. Wright really is going to be a problem for opposing teams, and will create multiple opportunities for the other players.

I liked how even though Loveridge had an off night, Wright, Onwas, and Tucker more than compensated (Tucker rather quietly).

I think I heard Kodiak say in the post-game that the assist to turnover ratio was 23-9. Not bad.

These guys are fun to watch. The Boise State game should tell us something.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Tonight was my first opportunity to see this team play in person. They were pretty impressive. Wright really is going to be a problem for opposing teams, and will create multiple opportunities for the other players.

I liked how even though Loveridge had an off night, Wright, Onwas, and Tucker more than compensated (Tucker rather quietly).

I think I heard Kodiak say in the post-game that the assist to turnover ratio was 23-9. Not bad.

These guys are fun to watch. The Boise State game should tell us something.
    Entering the game the assist to TO ratio was 1.9, these guys enjoy sharing the ball.

And right now my favorite thing is the joy in Bachynski's face

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Entering the game the assist to TO ratio was 1.9, these guys enjoy sharing the ball.

And right now my favorite thing is the joy in Bachynski's face
    what exactly happened to bachynski last year?

Quote Originally Posted by crazyute View Post
    what exactly happened to bachynski last year?
    Don't really know. But he had some issues with the mental side of the game and didn't seem happy.

It's obvious he's in a better place now and that's good for the Utes

Don't really know. But he had some issues with the mental side of the game and didn't seem happy.

It's obvious he's in a better place now and that's good for the Utes
    He's certainly been more productive than Olsen, who leads whatever disappointments there are at this point in season.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    He's certainly been more productive than Olsen, who leads whatever disappointments there are at this point in season.
    Olsen still seems behind...as in he's a half second behind every play. Not sure why that is, he's certainly better on offense than defense but his offense is disappointing so far.

Bachynski had a dropped pass in the first half when Wright fed him in the lane. He caught the rest the rest of the game.

Olsen still seems behind...as in he's a half second behind every play. Not sure why that is, he's certainly better on offense than defense but his offense is disappointing so far.

Bachynski had a dropped pass in the first half when Wright fed him in the lane. He caught the rest the rest of the game.
    According to one Majerus-era player who attends lots of practices and is close to the program, it's Olsen's footspeed that limits him.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

According to one Majerus-era player who attends lots of practices and is close to the program, it's Olsen's footspeed that limits him.
    Defensively I certainly can see that.

Offensively he just never quite seems to keep up with the play but that's just me

Idaho State hanging with Washington right now on the PAC12 Network. Fresno State plays at Cal next.

It may help us gauge where we are in the league.

Kodiak on the weak 2013-14 pre-season schedule:

Krystkowiak said it’s safe to say that the Utes would have liked to have played a few more difficult non-conference games, particularly on the road, this season. However, a couple of opportunities fell apart at the last minute and much of the schedule was put in place two years ago when the program won just six games.

“It’s kind of a hypothetical situation. The most important thing is are we ready to go in the league right now — and certainly we can’t talk about a kind of would of, could of, should of situation,” Krystkowiak said. “But I would have liked to have had a stronger preseason, and I think moving forward you will see one in place for us as our program strengthens.”

--Yeats

I think this new basketball center will be a big step forward for the program. It may yield results more quickly than the football center, just because of the nature of basketball and how quickly a special player or two can turn things around. (Besides, there's evidence Kodiak is a good recruiter. This will be an excellent tool for him.)

--Yeats

I think this new basketball center will be a big step forward for the program. It may yield results more quickly than the football center, just because of the nature of basketball and how quickly a special player or two can turn things around. (Besides, there's evidence Kodiak is a good recruiter. This will be an excellent tool for him.)

So here is a description of the original plans. It is clear from the new description that there will now be two buildings as opposed to the one long building that was previously described. What is totally unclear is whether the scope is now smaller than the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH5QHmci1Ws

If I were Hill, I would be embarrassed at that video. He mumbles and stumbles his way through the whole thing. High Schools produce better, more professional stuff. If he cannot memorize a 1 minute script or deliver off the cuff remarks with more clarity they should get someone else to do it. Utah marketing - still crappy.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    If I were Hill, I would be embarrassed at that video. He mumbles and stumbles his way through the whole thing. High Schools produce better, more professional stuff. If he cannot memorize a 1 minute script or deliver off the cuff remarks with more clarity they should get someone else to do it. Utah marketing - still crappy.
    Not his best performance. I'm checking to see what this really means. From what I've been hearing about financial commitments that have been made I suspect this is actually good news. I'm also hoping that some of the full-share PAC-12 money that's coming in will be directed to marketing and fundraising upgrades.

--Yeats

So far I've been able to figure out that the big change (approved about 3 weeks ago) is that the facility will now have a "basketball-only identity." It's for men's and women's basketball only and will be just northeast of the Huntsman, connected underground by tunnels.

--Yeats

Here are the various iterations of the building that we've been shown. Initially it was this:

Then this:

And now they handed it to Populous and came out with this:

Interesting, Hadrian. The floor plans that I understand were approved 3 weeks ago seem quite a bit different from what they started with. It will be a 4-story building dedicated to basketball. First floor will be mostly underground, it seems, with two gyms (men's and women's) on the same side (south) and weight and training/medical rooms on the north side. So very different from that first shot you shared. Second floor is where the entry will be, with this Hall of Fame area:

Prelim Final Design_17.jpg

Third floor will have the women's basketball offices, and the men's offices will be on the fourth floor. Both coaches' offices will have spectacular views of the Salt Lake Valley (assuming no inversion!). This is the same drawing you have below, with a legend showing the reason for the separation between the two buildings:

Prelim Final Design_9.jpg

Should be terrific for the program.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-20-2014 at 10:35 PM.

--Yeats

Interesting; thanks for the info. I know the coaches wanted a view of the valley, so it looks like they're getting it. Populous does great work and I especially like the design of the hall of fame area. Now I am just wondering how much they will renovate the current HPER infrastructure and Huntsman Center to accommodate these new buildings. I remember reading that the Huntsman Center will have a club area (similar to Wyoming's new renovation) and reduced capacity, as well as new lights and scoreboard.

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    I'm sure by the time it's been built it will be about half the size and constructed of cinderblock.

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    Interesting; thanks for the info. I know the coaches wanted a view of the valley, so it looks like they're getting it. Populous does great work and I especially like the design of the hall of fame area. Now I am just wondering how much they will renovate the current HPER infrastructure and Huntsman Center to accommodate these new buildings. I remember reading that the Huntsman Center will have a club area (similar to Wyoming's new renovation) and reduced capacity, as well as new lights and scoreboard.
    I was told the "cloud" will be gone from the Huntsman and that rails will be installed above the arena to allow curtains and other equipment to be hung. The curtains will allow a reduction in capacity for volleyball games, commencement, etc., to avoid the "cavern effect" you get otherwise. I wonder if the rails will allow performers to hang equipment too? For years musical acts haven't been booked at the JMHC because the dome and cloud didn't allow hanging sound equipment.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I'm sure by the time it's been built it will be about half the size and constructed of cinderblock.
    Eeyore_3.jpg

--Yeats

I was told the "cloud" will be gone from the Huntsman and that rails will be installed above the arena to allow curtains and other equipment to be hung. The curtains will allow a reduction in capacity for volleyball games, commencement, etc., to avoid the "cavern effect" you get otherwise. I wonder if the rails will allow performers to hang equipment too? For years musical acts haven't been booked at the JMHC because the dome and cloud didn't allow hanging sound equipment.
    This is curious because this website says that "the building was engineered in such a way that the cloud actually holds the dome in place."

Quote Originally Posted by Hadrian View Post
    This is curious because this website says that "the building was engineered in such a way that the cloud actually holds the dome in place."
    Wow. I'm guessing there's some plan to replace that function.

--Yeats

Wow. I'm guessing there's some plan to replace that function.
    They're going to use Majerus's sweater.

Thanks to 61 Shasta over on UF.net (who should post more here) I found this RFP document from Gramoll Construction. Gramoll has a contract with the U. for the renovation and was looking for proposals for the "rigging and curtain" part of the project. Proposals were due by December 18, so I imagine they're already pretty far along in selecting someone, if they haven't done so already.

http://www.gramoll.com/UUHuntsmanRiggingbid.shtml

It gives a pretty good idea of many of the structural renovations planned for the Huntsman Center. The job must be done in time for the 2014 basketball season (October 2014) and the "Scope of Work" section includes the following:

The Huntsman Center Arena needs an upgrade and remodel to allow for more modern uses than what the arena was originally designed for in 1969. This modernization program should allow the Huntsman Center Arena to remain a valued regional arena for years to come.

The project is seeking proposals to provide design, manufacturing and installation of a new rigging system and arena curtain system to provide for more intimate venue flexibility for multiuse options including: Athletics, Special speaking engagements, graduations and conferences. The curtain system, lighting, sound system and scoreboard will all hang off the new rigging system. A minimum of two access catwalks will be required. The new system will also connect to the Information Technology system for the building.

This project includes, but is not limited to, the full design, fabrication, shipping and erection of new rigging and curtain systems for the Huntsman Center.

Also included in this work is the lowering of the existing cloud to floor level for demolition by others (cribbing provided by others) and connection of the new rigging system to the existing Huntsman Center Arena Roof Structure.

The rigging designer/installer must be capable and willing to work closely with the Owner, Design team and CM/GC through the design phase, providing cost estimates, schedules and feedback on design details. The rigging designer/installer must also be capable and willing to work closely with other subcontractors during the erection phase. The Design Build Subcontractor will be expected to coordinate and accommodate work being performed under other contracts.The rigging system is to accommodate equipment designed by other consultants and furnished by other contractors such as arena lighting, sound reinforcement systems, score board systems and must accommodate special event loading. This equipment will be procured and installed at a later date along with all other work such as connections, conduit and wiring serving lighting and sound equipment.
    This isn't the entire project -- some kind of reception area is being built too. Maybe we'll see more about that in future RFPs.

--Yeats

Thanks to 61 Shasta over on UF.net (who should post more here) I found this RFP document from Gramoll Construction. Gramoll has a contract with the U. for the renovation and was looking for proposals for the "rigging and curtain" part of the project. Proposals were due by December 18, so I imagine they're already pretty far along in selecting someone, if they haven't done so already.

http://www.gramoll.com/UUHuntsmanRiggingbid.shtml

It gives a pretty good idea of many of the structural renovations planned for the Huntsman Center. The job must be done in time for the 2014 basketball season (October 2014) and the "Scope of Work" section includes the following:

This isn't the entire project -- some kind of reception area is being built too. Maybe we'll see more about that in future RFPs.
    Announcement was 12/23 per the RFP.

Also, another document confirmed this is "Phase One" which I had always heard. Phase one is supposed to include the cloud/lighting/scoreboard/sound/curtain changes as well as two "grand" entrances

Phase two is changes to the seating area as well as concourse renovation (which will have to wait until offices such as men's and women's basketball move to the new facility)

I saw on another board that Kodiak reportedly spoke at the LDS Institute tonight. If true, this makes me chuckle with appreciation at the sheer shrewdness of it -- besides which, I am confident it was done in good faith and in an effort to reach out to the entire campus community --- which is a cool thing to do. It certainly won't hurt his credibility with LDS recruits and their parents.

--Yeats

I saw on another board that Kodiak reportedly spoke at the LDS Institute tonight. If true, this makes me chuckle with appreciation at the sheer shrewdness of it -- besides which, I am confident it was done in good faith and in an effort to reach out to the entire campus community --- which is a cool thing to do. It certainly won't hurt his credibility with LDS recruits and their parents.
    It was actually announced at the Washington game, as LDSSA was a sponsor of the game. I think that is pretty cool of him, as I think it would be intimidating to speak at a religious meeting not your own.

It seems he has done a lot to reach out to the students... for the first time since I've been attending games the student section is out attending the rest of the arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    It was actually announced at the Washington game, as LDSSA was a sponsor of the game. I think that is pretty cool of him, as I think it would be intimidating to speak at a religious meeting not your own.

It seems he has done a lot to reach out to the students... for the first time since I've been attending games the student section is out attending the rest of the arena.
    It should probably be a litmus test for any potential football/basketball coaching hire at Utah, being able to relate to the dominant religious masses in such a setting. If you can't "recruit" them, how the hell can you expect to get Top 150 kids to come to Utah?