Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Think Blue - Go Dodgers!

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Wow. I knew Kershaw was horrible in the postseason, but I had never really focused on how horrible Bellinger was this year and in the past.

P.s. I take some consolation in the article's statement that Kershaw is not Koufax. I assume that debate is now settled for good, it it wasnt already.
    I think the entire team needs to spend time with a sports psychologist. Too many stars who are post-season head cases. If Roberts is let go, I'll feel bad for him because I really like him, but he seems to make major decisions based on gut feelings, and too many of them backfire. (Thursday night every one of his decisions backfired.) I also wonder -- has Kershaw reached his sell-by date?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think the entire team needs to spend time with a sports psychologist. Too many stars who are post-season head cases. If Roberts is let go, I'll feel bad for him because I really like him, but he seems to make major decisions based on gut feelings, and too many of them backfire. (Thursday night every one of his decisions backfired.) I also wonder -- has Kershaw reached his sell-by date?
    this guy is probably available

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WN-aCYVVtyo
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

It’s kind of comforting to know that Kershaw isn’t the only future Hall of Famer who’s terrible in the post-season.

https://www.getmoresports.com/mlb-ne...ries-collapse/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Think Blue - Go Dodgers!

So for all time we will wonder whether all those home runs and long balls hit off of Yu Darvish in that final 2017 Series game came from batters who knew what pitch was coming.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...es/4460053002/

I doubt it’s possible, but I believe the Astros should be required to cough up their World Series trophy.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 01-14-2020 at 09:04 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I doubt it’s possible, but I believe the Astros should be required to cough up their World Series trophy.
    I agree. Cheating in sports is pathetic. Go out and win or lose like men.

I don't have any doubt that they had illegal knowledge of Darvish's pitches (at the time, the claim was that Darvish tipped his pitches, right?). The punishment is so severe (appropriately) that I assume they would have taken away the title if they could have.

By the way, it is well-known and documented that the Bobby Thomson home run in the 1951 National League championship game - “the shot hear ‘round the world” - also was part of a sign-stealing scandal. It wasn’t revealed for many years, but Thomson knew what pitch was coming when he hit it out of the park. Both he and Ron Branca, who threw the pitch, knew that for years but kept silent about it.

For baseball lovers this is a great book about that:

https://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/08/b...w/Thorn.t.html

--Yeats

Virtually every team does this. The Astros just did it more frequently and were much more sophisticated (and effective) with it. Every team has a guy who they will put in CF with binoculars and a flashlight or something similar in certain situations to try to steal pitches. There's a reason why you haven't heard much outrage from other players and coaches, and it's also why you haven't seen player suspensions. The real issue here is that the Astros were cavalier enough to do it in a way that was caught on tape.

Maybe baseball needs those big posters with pop culture images like they have in football. Or maybe they need some high tech, earpiece stuff. I wonder, if data science could tell the pitcher/catcher what to throw on every pitch, how much of a difference would it make?