Thread: Think Blue - Go Dodgers!

Hybrid View

Dan Patrick said today that a player who charges the mound should have an automatic 5-game suspension. I agree. What do you all think?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Dan Patrick said today that a player who charges the mound should have an automatic 5-game suspension. I agree. What do you all think?
    I'd make it 15.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm sure pitchers would love it.
    Maybe pitchers should get a similar suspension for throwing at a batter. Lawyers would make money off the appeals process for both rules.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I don't think Greinke's pitch was intentional. The circumstances are extremely suspect for an intentional hit. Carlos Quinton should get a very long suspension for his actions. This isn't hockey, fighting is not a part of the sport and it should be punished harshly.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I have no idea whether or not it was intentional, but the circumstances mean nothing. In a 162 game season, these guys are willing to risk a run in an April game in order to make a macho point.

I agree that Quinton should get more than the 5 gave normal. Maybe 6-8 games.
    The situation in the game give it context, especially it being a 3-2 count. Players know when to pick their spots and this is not a situation where a player would pick his spot.

Plus, Quinton gets hit a lot, it is part of his game to get hit by pitches. When you are purposefully trying to get hit, it seems pretty ridiculous to react like this.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    The situation in the game give it context, especially it being a 3-2 count. Players know when to pick their spots and this is not a situation where a player would pick his spot.

Plus, Quinton gets hit a lot, it is part of his game to get hit by pitches. When you are purposefully trying to get hit, it seems pretty ridiculous to react like this.
    Quentin was hit 17 times last year. He leans into pitches and never tries to get out of the way. He didn't lean into last nights pitch, he definitely didn't make an attempt to get out of the way. I hope Carlos gets a fastball to the face from Josh Beckett in the near future. It won't be next week. I have a hard time seeing Quentin playing at the Ravine during next weeks series.