Thread: Smoking on the wild side

Smoking on the wild side

So I tried something a little different today. I had 2 backstraps from an elk I shot last winter.

Coated with fresh garlic, olive oil, and sea salt.

uploadfromtaptalk1374459397270.jpg

The hopper was loaded with cherry wood and a dash of mesquite. Smoked until temp was 135. Then sear on the gas grill 2 minutes per side. After a 15 minute rest, here it its just prior to carving

uploadfromtaptalk1374459521786.jpg

Here is the cuts. A perfect medium rare.

uploadfromtaptalk1374459607612.jpg

Paired with homemade French fries and carrots

uploadfromtaptalk1374459625839.jpg

OMG! This was spectacular. A little more garlic and a little less salted would have made this the most perfect piece of meat I have ever consumed. I now have motivation to shot more animals.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

You're ready to be on the BBQ Pitmasters show.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    You're ready to be on the BBQ Pitmasters show.
    Damn straight! (as long as they don't all me to do brisket :ashamed
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

that looks mighty tasty

Not on the wildside, but last night I smoked some salmon I got from a client who caught them in Alaska. Incredible.

I am convinced that Alder wood is one of the greatest smoking woods that there is. I haven't used it on red meat, but on fish and pork it is absolutely amazing.