Thread: California

California

I am here right now. Totally fascinated by this place. Went to see a movie at New port center and the tickets were 18.50 for adults, 17.50 for children. Seriously? How can movies cost so much more than movies in Utah? It's almost $100.00 to take a family of five.

And what is up with the TV channels? There are channels with guys with piercings and tattoos all over their face talking with other people on the internet? I've never seen anything like it. It's a little frightening. Is this the future of television?

I went to Chronic Tacos on PCH on my bike. Rode over with the kids. Apparently my son parked his bike too close to the handicapped parking stall. A vigilante lady (with a handicapped tag in her car--and collagen lips--called the cops). I don't think my kids' bike was parked in the stall, but I'm glad to know there are folks like collagen lady protecting handicapped people's rights. On a side note, some Californians need more personal connections. Way too many folks who come here looking for a fresh start and end up being lonely.

Love the weather and the beach (although the summer nights in Utah are better than the summer nights in Cal, it's too damn cold).

I've spent more than 15 years vacationing in this state However, after having spent some time earlier this summer in Europe, California now seems as foreign as most countries in Europe to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I am here right now. Totally fascinated by this place. Went to see a movie at New port center and the tickets were 18.50 for adults, 17.50 for children. Seriously? How can movies cost so much more than movies in Utah? It's almost $100.00 to take a family of five.

And what is up with the TV channels? There are channels with guys with piercings and tattoos all over their face talking with other people on the internet? I've never seen anything like it. It's a little frightening. Is this the future of television?

I went to Chronic Tacos on PCH on my bike. Rode over with the kids. Apparently my son parked his bike too close to the handicapped parking stall. A vigilante lady (with a handicapped tag in her car--and collagen lips--called the cops). I don't think my kids' bike was parked in the stall, but I'm glad to know there are folks like collagen lady protecting handicapped people's rights. On a side note, some Californians need more personal connections. Way too many folks who come here looking for a fresh start and end up being lonely.

Love the weather and the beach (although the summer nights in Utah are better than the summer nights in Cal, it's too damn cold).

I've spent more than 15 years vacationing in this state However, after having spent some time earlier this summer in Europe, California now seems as foreign as most countries in Europe to me.
    In what part of our lovely state are you staying?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    In what part of our lovely state are you staying?
    SoCal. Will be at the Angels game tonight

Speaking of Anaheim, what is up with adults and Disneyland? I totally get the parent that has to take their kid to Disneyland. You gotta do it. You buck up and make the sacrifice. But what type of able bodied adult decides, without children, to go to Disneyland?

These are the facts. You wait in line to get into Disneyland and pay 20 bucks to park. Then you take a shuttle for about 20-30 minutes just to get to the park. At the park you pay over 100 for one person to get in. When you get in, you battle crowds-all damn day. You wait in line--all damn day. You maybe ride 10-14 rides. 5 to 7 of those rides give you the exact same sickness you get with bad airplane turbulence. When you decide you are hungry, you get to eat overpriced food that flat out sucks ass. By the end of the day, you get to listen to a bunch of tired, whiney kids, crying and complaining (because apparently too much of a happy place isn't a happy place)

I ask again, what type of adult voluntarily goes to Disneyland without children? We live in a seriously messed up world.

Sounds like new Newport Beach. Lovely place. We go there for a week every other year or so. I've never paid close attention, but I am sure there is lots of Botox there.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Speaking of Anaheim, what is up with adults and Disneyland? I totally get the parent that has to take their kid to Disneyland. You gotta do it. You buck up and make the sacrifice. But what type of able bodied adult decides, without children, to go to Disneyland?

These are the facts. You wait in line to get into Disneyland and pay 20 bucks to park. Then you take a shuttle for about 20-30 minutes just to get to the park. At the park you pay over 100 for one person to get in. When you get in, you battle crowds-all damn day. You wait in line--all damn day. You maybe ride 10-14 rides. 5 to 7 of those rides give you the exact same sickness you get with bad airplane turbulence. When you decide you are hungry, you get to eat overpriced food that flat out sucks ass. By the end of the day, you get to listen to a bunch of tired, whiney kids, crying and complaining (because apparently too much of a happy place isn't a happy place)

I ask again, what type of adult voluntarily goes to Disneyland without children? We live in a seriously messed up world.
    When i lived in DC, I knew three or four different couples who each went to Disneyworld for their honeymoons. I cant imagine a less romantic or memorable place to go.

I know people (adults) with annual passes who go to Disneyland every chance they get. I've never understood that, but whatever entertainment floats your boat, I guess.

--Yeats

Your movie was so expensive because you went to the super special theater in Fashion Island where you sit in huge leather chairs and they will bring beer, wine, and gourmet pizzas and sandwiches directly to your seat. The normal theaters are more than Utah, but nowhere near as much as the place you went.

Too bad I'm in Chicago or I'd take you to lunch. My office is right there in one of the office buildings around Fashion Island. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Your movie was so expensive because you went to the super special theater in Fashion Island where you sit in huge leather chairs and they will bring beer, wine, and gourmet pizzas and sandwiches directly to your seat. The normal theaters are more than Utah, but nowhere near as much as the place you went.

Too bad I'm in Chicago or I'd take you to lunch. My office is right there in one of the office buildings around Fashion Island. Let me know if you have any questions about the area.
    I know the area well. Love Fashion Island. Another fascinating place. Ate at PF Changs last night. There are a ton of muslim women walking around shopping. It's a magnet for middle eastern/Persian women. I get crazy theories observing people. On this one, I figure the women can't go to the beach, can't get massages, can't go have a drink with friends, so they spend crap loads of time shopping--because that is an indulgence that apparently is ok in their culture.

Of course I have the same theory about Mormons and Disneyland. And I would take you up on the offer if you were around.

There is no place like Wrigley. It's the best
    Last edited by Two Utes; 08-01-2013 at 11:38 PM.

TwoUtes, as wacky as my beloved state can be, you can't really judge any state by its tourist/vacation areas. CA in particular is not its elite coastal areas, although they do get most of the attention. Park City is not Utah; neither is Temple Square.

--Yeats

TwoUtes, as wacky as my beloved state can be, you can't really judge any state by its tourist/vacation areas. CA in particular is not its elite coastal areas, although they do get most of the attention. Park City is not Utah; neither is Temple Square.
    A virtue: diversity in all things including states.

Speaking of Anaheim, what is up with adults and Disneyland?
    Years ago we went to a Utah bowl game, took the oldest kid, and went to Disneyland on the off day. It was horrid. If I remember right, it was couple days after Christmas and one of the busiest days of the year at the park. I don't like crowds and I particularly don't like crowds with lots of hyperactive kids. I still shudder thinking about it. We've never gone back and the youngest kid never got to go. Sometimes I feel a pang of guilt about not taking them to Disneyland when they were young. Then I get over it.

I used to work with a guy at the rocket ranch. He and his wife took annual trips to Disneyland -- no kids, just the two of them. He was a very straight laced, serious guy a generation older than I. His wife was huge. Anyway, it always struck me as a very odd thing that they were Disney freaks.

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Years ago we went to a Utah bowl game, took the oldest kid, and went to Disneyland on the off day. It was horrid. If I remember right, it was couple days after Christmas and one of the busiest days of the year at the park. I don't like crowds and I particularly don't like crowds with lots of hyperactive kids. I still shudder thinking about it. We've never gone back and the youngest kid never got to go. Sometimes I feel a pang of guilt about not taking them to Disneyland when they were young. Then I get over it.

I used to work with a guy at the rocket ranch. He and his wife took annual trips to Disneyland -- no kids, just the two of them. He was a very straight laced, serious guy a generation older than I. His wife was huge. Anyway, it always struck me as a very odd thing that they were Disney freaks.
    We don't go to Disneyland often -- probably once a year -- but we have learned how to "do Disneyland" so as to make it more fun and to minimize the hassles. In our experience, it is possible. But I completely understand the rotten first experience that is so easy to have.

--Yeats

There is no place like Wrigley. It's the best
    That's where my wife and I went on our first date.... And second.... And third.

Not me. I am unwilling to suck it up and take my kids to Disneyland. My kids will be fine without Disneyland.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Not me. I am unwilling to suck it up and take my kids to Disneyland. My kids will be fine without Disneyland.
    This is an un-American sentiment.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post

Yeah. That is the busiest time of the year. Not a great way to experience Disneyland for the first time.

I have seen a lot of people without kids who are obsessed with all things Disney. I don't think it is strange. No stranger than obsessions some people have with all things related to a certain school.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.

Sounds like you're having a wonderful time!
    I have some inlaws that are Disney freaks who take their kids to D-land/D-world/D-cruise then go back just the two of them. I also know someone who dresses almost head to toe in Disney gear almost every day. Has a part time job to help pay for trips tips to D-land. Of course she's about 300 lbs so the moo moo tshirt with eor's backside covering her fat gut is the reason she's in her upper 40's and still living in mom and dads basement.

This guy is running for governor here and hasn't a prayer of winning, but this is a great ad:

--Yeats

It is nice to see a politician (and his wife) with a good sense of humor. I also like that he said he wants to put a "gun in every gun safe" instead of "in every hand".

This guy is running for governor here and hasn't a prayer of winning, but this is a great ad:
    Sorry, I wouldn't vote for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Sorry, I wouldn't vote for him.
    No apology necessary. I just thought the ad was funny. (His comment about gun safes was lame.)

--Yeats

The ad was entertaining, but this is what's wrong with democracy: you have intellectual midgets like this guy and like Cherilyn Eager in Utah who shouldn't stand a chance to get on a school board, let alone run for senate or governor.

The tea party is a result of idiocy and generalized stupidity amongst the populace.

--Yeats