Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2013 Fall Camp

I think there's a big difference in "having to rely on" a JC transfer and bringing in a JC transfer who is expected to provide an upgrade to the would-be starter or to provide depth to the position.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Hey, I acknowledged that some work out; do you want to be in the position of relying on them, or would you like to have a stable of backs like this year? (dont be a wise guy and throw York in my face).
    That was going to be my response. Way to kill my fun.

I understand what you're saying. JC transfers are good to fill holes, but rarely do they turn into the guy needed.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    That was going to be my response. Way to kill my fun.

I understand what you're saying. JC transfers are good to fill holes, but rarely do they turn into the guy needed.
    they may turn into the guy needed, but they may not show up at all. Where would we have been The Wolfman had failed a pass/fail class like Tevin Carter?
    Last edited by concerned; 08-14-2013 at 02:35 PM.

I know that JC guys are risky, but I don't foresee a future in which we don't rely heavily on them, especially at the skill positions. In fact, I think the one area in which we have seen marked recruiting improvement since joining the Pac-12 is in JC guys - we get some really good ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I know that JC guys are risky, but I don't foresee a future in which we don't rely heavily on them, especially at the skill positions. In fact, I think the one area in which we have seen marked recruiting improvement since joining the Pac-12 is in JC guys - we get some really good ones.
    I appreciate you guys not throwing Star in my face yet.

I think Star is a perfect example of what we should be getting from the JC ranks. We had fairly well established depth at the position, and we would have been OK without Star, but getting Star sure helped. In other words, we weren't relying on Star, but he was still an extremely valuable addition.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I think Star is a perfect example of what we should be getting from the JC ranks. We had fairly well established depth at the position, and we would have been OK without Star, but getting Star sure helped. In other words, we weren't relying on Star, but he was still an extremely valuable addition.
    To hear some people discuss JUCOs, by their logic we should've never recruited Star because James Aiono didn't pan out.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    To hear some people discuss JUCOs, by their logic we should've never recruited Star because James Aiono didn't pan out.
    I didn't say we shouldn't recruit them; I said I hoped we would never be in the position again of needing them to fill a slot--ie., having them penciiled in as the starter before they get here. Big difference.

I think you're being very gracious about the hole you've dug.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think you're being very gracious about the hole you've dug.
    Like discretion, graciousness is the better part of valor.

Like discretion, graciousness is the better part of valor.
    I just declare victory and move on. It works half the time.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

And in the most logical move of the fall, Micah Thomas is now a safety
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    Aren't safeties usually a little bigger? He's 6'0", 175, so I guess he's borderline safety size. Am I wrong?

--Yeats

He will fill in. I look at him as Rowe's replacement in 2 years
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Thought for the day, from Dennis Erickson:

"A quarterback is only as good as the people who are playing with him," Erickson said. "Maybe the biggest thing is, can we run the football? If we can run the football, we can get down and distance situations that are way better. Then we don't have to put everything on him."
    Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to some "2nd down and short" situations this fall!

--Yeats

I think our coaches do this right. You should always give them that shot at QB. How many guys have we landed because we were willing to let them try and win a QB spot? In the end, you either get a surprisingly good QB, or you get a coveted DB/WR.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think our coaches do this right. You should always give them that shot at QB. How many guys have we landed because we were willing to let them try and win a QB spot? In the end, you either get a surprisingly good QB, or you get a coveted DB/WR.
    I agree.
    André Gide

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    A third tight end that they want to develop. Wonder who that will be. Jake Murphy identifies some names in the video - Siale and Greg Reese and Harrison (?). Anyone know anything about these guys?

Here is to hoping Jake Murphy makes it through an entire season injury free. He could be a beast like pitta was.

We could have a very special offense this year with dres, Scott, Murphy and tonga catching as primary wr and tight ends. Rb seems solid as does Oline.

Siale is the 3rd on the depth chart by many reports.
    André Gide

Hatfield backing wr. Smallish Reggie Dunn type.

Micah Thomas back on offense. Does this mean as a qb or in some other capacity?

http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile2/5...ngham.html.csp

Micah is back at quarterback. I think he will be given this year and spring to see if he can progress.
    André Gide

2013 Fall Camp

Micah is back at quarterback. I think he will be given this year and spring to see if he can progress.
    Letting him switch back seems like a good idea, because otherwise other coaches would use that against us In recruiting. "Utah will bait and switch you."

--Yeats

The press release from 8/19 has some, uh, interesting little tidbits.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/...nt/fbaug19.pdf

Two questions:

1. Darchon Taggart?

2. (Relatedly) What in the name of Bill Marcroft has happened to our strong safeties? Is this like being the drummer in Spinal Tap? Darchon Taggart actually could have been the names of one of the Spinal Tap drummers. That would make Eric Rowe our own Nigel Tufnel, which is a huge compliment.

Seriously, what in the wide, wide world of sports is up with the 2 deep at safety?

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post

Two questions:

1. Darchon Taggart?

2. (Relatedly) What in the name of Bill Marcroft has happened to our strong safeties? Is this like being the drummer in Spinal Tap? Darchon Taggart actually could have been the names of one of the Spinal Tap drummers. That would make Eric Rowe our own Nigel Tufnel, which is a huge compliment.

Seriously, what in the wide, wide world of sports is up with the 2 deep at safety?

Well, reading Darchon's official bio made me feel much, much better.

http://utahutes.cstv.com/sports/m-fo...rt_820772.html

Evidently, he walked on last year after spending the previous year at Weber State as a WR. He had 3 receptions for the mighty Wildcats and got the starting nod against Portland State, so I can't imagine how having him on the 2 deep at safety could be anything but totally awesome!

I think that Charles Henderson has been in the pit. Since Whitt won't talk about injuries, nobody knows how serious it is. Hopefully it isn't too bad and he can provide depth during the season. Rowe and TME starting with Chucky and Quade Chappuis backing up. I can see Michael Walker as a sort of utility defensive back, moving where we need him for depth.

Apparently Manning threw the ball over the south stands to avoid sprints today.

The coaches may have to rethink this challenge of we continue to recruit QB'S with P12 talent.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Apparently Manning threw the ball over the south stands to avoid sprints today.

The coaches may have to rethink this challenge of we continue to recruit QB'S with P12 talent.
    According to twitter, Trevor Reillly did it too. Maybe we should move him to qb.

Two questions:

1. Darchon Taggart?

This is where all the PAC-12 recruiting Whitt always talks about needs to show. We need a player like Walker (a SR) to step up and take that job. He has been here long enough, it should be his. We will see.