Page 107 of 114 FirstFirst ... 75797103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 3,181 to 3,210 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Okay. I don't think the academies made a conscious decision to adopt any particular model. It just happened gradually as they become less and less able to compete at the national championship level. It is the model of most G5 programs. It's probably already the model at BYU except for the acceptance from the fan base part of it. Shoot, from a certain point of view, it's the model of most P5 programs as well.
    Except I don't think most P5 programs are determined to stand for something special.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Just heard about Nick Emery not playing this year. This is a clear addition by subtraction scenario for Provo.

Just heard about Nick Emery not playing this year. This is a clear addition by subtraction scenario for Provo.
    A little timeline:

Punches Brandon Taylor during a basketball game.

Afterwards appears to show zero remorse for his actions and when Coach K complains he tells him to "sit down and shut the fuck up" making K so upset that he cancels the BYU Utah basketball game the next year.

Consistently comes down on 3 and 1 and 2 and 1 fast breaks and jacks up NBA threes.

Regularly takes running jumpers and long 2 point shots with 15 to 20 seconds left on the clock

Gets married. Within a year or so get's divorced (over rumors of infidelity, causing friction with x-wife's family so much so that said family rats him out to the media--see below)

Takes trips with fan boy 40 year old cougar club member to see U2 in concert in Toronto (and is dumb enough to post it on social media)

Takes the benefit of a car titled in the fan guy's name.

Only after coach tells media that Emery must sit out until issues above are resolved by the NCAA, does he withdraw from school saying his mind isn't right (of course, one could argue what he is really doing is saving a basketball season by basically red shirting and waiting to find out what the NCAA and BYU does to him before deciding to transfer.)

Yeah, I would agree. Addition by subtraction.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 11-13-2017 at 12:58 PM.

It's kind of funny, given the relative pre-college hype that was placed on the two of them, that it looks pretty likely that Jackson will be the more valuable player in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    It's kind of funny, given the relative pre-college hype that was placed on the two of them, that it looks pretty likely that Jackson will be the more valuable player in college.
    Seems like a very angry kid. I hope he gets that under control.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I remember one of these local media guys said that Nick was a perfect combo of Jimmer and Jackson. Wish I could remember who it was.

maybe he should transfer to the Home for Lost Boys aka UVU.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    maybe he should transfer to the Home for Lost Boys aka UVU.
    He needs to find a coach desperate enough to take a chance on him.

I’m actually expecting a heart-warming redemption story in about 9 months.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by old standing ute View Post
    maybe he should transfer to the home for lost boys aka uvu.
    suu!
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He needs to find a coach desperate enough to take a chance on him.

I’m actually expecting a heart-warming redemption story in about 9 months.
    Maybe Ole Miss has emotionally recovered from the Henderson days by now.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Maybe Ole Miss has emotionally recovered from the Henderson days by now.
    ...just in time to begin the football team probation (30 scholly reduction for 3 years, show-cause letters for three coaches. Ugly times coming at Ole Miss).

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    ...just in time to begin the football team probation (30 scholly reduction for 3 years, show-cause letters for three coaches. Ugly times coming at Ole Miss).
    Yeah, but ugly times is pretty much the norm at Ole Miss. It's not like they have a long history of success.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    A little timeline:

Punches Brandon Taylor during a basketball game.

Afterwards appears to show zero remorse for his actions and when Coach K complains he tells him to "sit down and shut the fuck up" making K so upset that he cancels the BYU Utah basketball game the next year.

Consistently comes down on 3 and 1 and 2 and 1 fast breaks and jacks up NBA threes.

Regularly takes running jumpers and long 2 point shots with 15 to 20 seconds left on the clock

Gets married. Within a year or so get's divorced (over rumors of infidelity, causing friction with x-wife's family so much so that said family rats him out to the media--see below)

Takes trips with fan boy 40 year old cougar club member to see U2 in concert in Toronto (and is dumb enough to post it on social media)

Takes the benefit of a car titled in the fan guy's name.

Only after coach tells media that Emery must sit out until issues above are resolved by the NCAA, does he withdraw from school saying his mind isn't right (of course, one could argue what he is really doing is saving a basketball season by basically red shirting and waiting to find out what the NCAA and BYU does to him before deciding to transfer.)

Yeah, I would agree. Addition by subtraction.
    Are things this bad in Salt Suck City after losing to Wazzu that you must wallow in conjecture and rumour? I don't like his privileged basketball attitude either. Yes, there should be consequences for alleged NCAA infractions. But dealing in rumours about his marriage is beyond the pale. Almost as bad as blaming BYU for Utah fan stupidity (see earlier in this thread). What the hell has happened to you, and Utah fans in general? Your post is embarrassing.

That 'rumor' came from his ex-wife and was the cause of their separation.

Dropping a dime to the NCAA happened because he is an asshole.

Yeah, but ugly times is pretty much the norm at Ole Miss. It's not like they have a long history of success.
    Yeah, but this time they even failed at cheating. And they are getting a far greater punishment than did Penn State.

That 'rumor' came from his ex-wife and was the cause of their separation.

Dropping a dime to the NCAA happened because he is an asshole.
    If you're this butt hurt about a 22 year old and his actual as well as alleged poor decision-making, there's something not quite right with you.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    If you're this butt hurt about a 22 year old and his actual as well as alleged poor decision-making, there's something not quite right with you.
    I could not care less about that. He is welcome to do what he wants with consenting adults.

I was only correcting the statement.

I could not care less about that. He is welcome to do what he wants with consenting adults.

I was only correcting the statement.
    And I'm just making an accurate observation.

And I'm just making an accurate observation.
    You are misdiagnosing butthurt.

Are things this bad in Salt Suck City after losing to Wazzu that you must wallow in conjecture and rumour? I don't like his privileged basketball attitude either. Yes, there should be consequences for alleged NCAA infractions. But dealing in rumours about his marriage is beyond the pale. Almost as bad as blaming BYU for Utah fan stupidity (see earlier in this thread). What the hell has happened to you, and Utah fans in general? Your post is embarrassing.
    I think you missed his point which was that BYU was better off without him.

I'm not sure where he appears anything but congenial about this.

You are misdiagnosing butthurt.
    Could be. I should probably listen to an expert on the subject.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I think you missed his point which was that BYU was better off without him.

I'm not sure where he appears anything but congenial about this.
    https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46198691&nid=968

Haha. No response from two utes to little brother's chiding. Probably two utes is waiting to whup is ass on Thanksgiving.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

"Ëverybody loses in Emery Scandal?" as a Utah fan, I'm trying to figure out how I lose?

For sheer comedic entertainment, I think I win. The simple fact that Emery was found hanging out with a middle aged man at Harry Potter Land while driving his buddy's Jetta is about as BYUish as it comes. It could only be more BYUish if it included Legoland, a GMC Astro van (with a happiness is family home evening bumper sitcker) and some sort of free tickets to a clogging performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    "Ëverybody loses in Emery Scandal?" as a Utah fan, I'm trying to figure out how I lose?

For sheer comedic entertainment, I think I win. The simple fact that Emery was found hanging out with a middle aged man at Harry Potter Land while driving his buddy's Jetta is about as BYUish as it comes. It could only be more BYUish if it included Legoland, a GMC Astro van (with a happiness is family home evening bumper sitcker) and some sort of free tickets to a clogging performance.
    Everyone loses, except for the kid that got a free trip back East for a U2 concert and a VW Jetta. Well, actually. I guess everyone does lose in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Well, we do play BYU this season, right? We lose in the sense that BYU is a better team without Emery. In general, I want BYU to continue to be bad at sports, and dropping Emery is a step in the wrong direction for that.

Well, we do play BYU this season, right? We lose in the sense that BYU is a better team without Emery. In general, I want BYU to continue to be bad at sports, and dropping Emery is a step in the wrong direction for that.

I actually enjoyed watching BYU play last year. I didn't see a ton of their games but watched more of them than I have in a long time. The way they played last year was humorous. They had a number of kids who refused to play defense and would jack up crazy shots. Many of the Cougs suffer from extreme inflated images of themselves as basketball players mostly due to their achievements and privileges in high school. The Lone peak kids, in particular, received star treatment in high school and expected it in college. Combine that with (1) other players who want to play for BYU because they believe they can play like Jimmer; (2) players who look like 35 year old pudgy first counselors in the Lindon 4th ward; and (3) the general lack of any control or concern by the coaching staff, made for must watch TV. Beyond Gonzaga and St Mary's, the WCC was a really bad conference so they actually looked better than they were. They were bad. They were losing to Texas Arlington by 20 bad and giving up 110 points to 13-15 UVU bad ( I would argue that this loss might be the worst loss in 40 years of BYU basketball.)

I'm not going to enjoy BYU like I did last year without Emery and with Schroyer. They are going to be more disciplined. I likely won't watch many of their games.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 11-15-2017 at 05:18 PM.

There are plenty of other players who will pop 30' three pointers when running a 3-1 fast break. That is a staple of (whatever their coach's name is) -style of play.

No worries on that front.

Yes. BYU is worse off for what he did. But that's not what I said.

Question: Would BYU be better off with him on the team understanding the distraction this situation is becoming?

Could be. I should probably listen to an expert on the subject.
    Probably, but they won't let you on those websites any longer...

😀