Page 32 of 114 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Its been fun for the last 4 years for me.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    The winning part was fun.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This sign is reportedly on I-15 North, just outside Cedar City:

Attachment 1204

Jarid and Solon need to get out there late one night and revise it slightly ;

Attachment 1205
    Billboard.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    The winning part was fun.
    Is there another part?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Is there another part?
    Dealing with the losers.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Tip jars in a Park City candy store:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Blah. Texas lost their starting QB and starting center, right in time for the BYUP game. Why can't this ever happen to us?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Blah. Texas lost their starting QB and starting center, right in time for the BYUP game. Why can't this ever happen to us?
    LOL @ Texas. If they lose to BYU two years in a row, they should be banned from signing any more 5-star players for 2 years.

BY who?

Hook em horns.

Funny thing is...... BYU could win out and still end up in the miami chicken nuggets with sweet and sour sauce bowl. This schedule is down right awful.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Funny thing is...... BYU could win out and still end up in the miami chicken nuggets with sweet and sour sauce bowl. This schedule is down right awful.
    This is true, but there really needs to be a loss or two, or the fans and media will be insufferable. Just a couple losses to bad teams - that's all I ask. They are probably not underdogs anymore, but I think Texas still has a decent shot.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I thought that the Y could qualify as the Group of 5 entrant to one of the six major bowls, but then I read something that made me think that beacuse they are independent they are ineligible, so it is either playoff or bust for them.

This fun to watch:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I thought that the Y could qualify as the Group of 5 entrant to one of the six major bowls, but then I read something that made me think that beacuse they are independent they are ineligible, so it is either playoff or bust for them.
    That is correct. They do NOT compete for the Go5 access bowl spot. They also get a lesser split of revenue from the CFP than all the Go5 schools.

This fun to watch:

I miss playing that game this year. We really need a confidence-boosting blowout win.

That game last year was only marginally close due to a questionable taunting call on Mo Lee that led to their touchdown a few plays later. Without that call the score would better represent the beat-down that actually occurred on the field.

And just like that , the rivalry Gods strike byu for canceling the game this year: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...abrk/14981439/

And just like that , the rivalry Gods strike byu for canceling the game this year: http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/...abrk/14981439/
    He looks like a guy in real trouble. I hope he gets help. Maybe this is the big fall he needed to have in order to actually get help.

--Yeats

Mug shot wearing a BYU t-shirt. Pure gold.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Mug shot wearing a BYU t-shirt. Pure gold.
    What an absolute PR nightmare.

--Yeats

I hope Max Hall can get some help, for the sake of himself and especially his family's. But it ain't up to me hoping, addiction sucks.

What's going on down there? Former players upset with the program and especially the handling of injuries. Players developing Rx drug addictions followed by illicit drug addictions. Stuff happens everywhere, but based on the kinds of kids coming into the program, it should be happening less at BYU than elsewhere, not the same or more. Something is wrong down there.

I am proud of my fellow classless ute fans for taking the high road on this.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 09-02-2014 at 04:03 PM.

This makes me very sad. Despite his well known rant, I can't bring my self to feel any kind of schadenfreude over this.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-02-2014 at 05:02 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    This makes me very sad. Despite his well known rant, I can't bring my self to feel any kind of schadenfreude over this.
    Yep ... always wondered what it would take for me to view Max Hall as a sympathetic figure. I guess I have what I need.

For Max's sake, I hope his future is filled with people who don't hold the stereotypes about drug addicts as he had about Ute fans.

Actually, I thought of the 2007 Holy War when I read about this. Hall wouldn't be the first player to struggle with illicit drugs/painkillers after his career was over. I have zero doubt he was doped up pretty good for the Utah game.

MAX HALL (2007 vs. Utah)
    When quarterback Max Hall suffered a shoulder injury against Wyoming in 2007, one week prior to the annual showdown against Utah, Hall and the BYU coaches downplayed the severity of the injury.
    It wasn’t until after the Cougars knocked off the Utes, 17-10, that Mendenhall acknowledged that Hall had sustained a grade-three separation to his throwing shoulder.
    Under normal circumstances, a quarterback with a grade-three should separation would have missed the rest of the regular season and hoped to be available for a bowl game. Utah QB BrianJohnson had a grade-three shoulder separation early in the season and missed a few games.
    But Hall was determined to play in the rivalry game, so he reported to the trainers’ room 20 times the first couple of days after the injury. His treatment included the use of packs of tobacco on his shoulder to reduce bruising (in case you wondered, that use of tobacco doesn’t violate the Honor Code).
    Though Hall struggled for much of the game against Utah, he completed that now-famous, 49-yard, fourth-and-18 pass to Austin Collie on the game winning touchdown drive with a wet noodle for a shoulder.
    Mendenhall was amazed that Hall was able to play at all. “His will and toughness was beyond what I thought was possible,” the coach said. “For him to go out and play the way he did was remarkable, considering the severity of the injury.”
    BYU trainer Kevin Morris was equally impressed. “He is a tough kid,” Morris said. “He came in and worked really hard, and I credit Max. We gave him direction, but he worked himselfinto a position to play. Absolutely, it was unique.”
    “What Max proved is he’s one of the best quarterbacks in the conference and in the nation,” wide receiver Austin Collie said. “Even with an injury, he came out and played like he did.”
    http://utahvalley360.com/2013/09/05/...tball-history/

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Actually, I thought of the 2007 Holy War when I read about this. Hall wouldn't be the first player to struggle with illicit drugs/painkillers after his career was over. I have zero doubt he was doped up pretty good for the Utah game.

http://utahvalley360.com/2013/09/05/...tball-history/
    I remember reading that long ago and reflecting on former players talking about serious injuries down there where they'd shoot them up with drugs and send them back out.

That is the curious thing about a shoulder separation, I don't know of any conditioning you could do to make it so you could raise your arm above your head.

Sad state of affairs all around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I remember reading that long ago and reflecting on former players talking about serious injuries down there where they'd shoot them up with drugs and send them back out.

That is the curious thing about a shoulder separation, I don't know of any conditioning you could do to make it so you could raise your arm above your head.

Sad state of affairs all around.
    I separated my shoulder about eight years ago. I don't recall what grade it was, but it was enough to leave a small bump on my shoulder (ending my career as a swimsuit model). Anyway, I cannot imagine throwing a football, or any other kind of ball, with that injury.

--Yeats

I separated my shoulder about eight years ago. I don't recall what grade it was, but it was enough to leave a small bump on my shoulder (ending my career as a swimsuit model). Anyway, I cannot imagine throwing a football, or any other kind of ball, with that injury.
    Apparently all one needs is a little blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Max Hall isn't the worst thing that's been associated with BYU this week. That honor goes to Goatnapper over on CUF. He deserves some public shaming over what he wrote.
    At least be kind enough to give a tl;dr for those who don't want to venture to the aftermath of a Chinese abortion that is the former CUF.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I think a little schadenfreude is healthy. I've been amused by the whole thing. I'm sad too. It's possible to be both, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It's possible to be both, right?
    That is a good question. I guess it all comes down to the lens you look at the situation through. If I hadn't been through an emotionally grinding experience recently with my step-son's problem with drugs, I might see more irony or even humor in it. Since I have, I just empathize with him and don't find it very funny. I'm not trying to preach or come across as morally superior, and I understand how others may see it differently.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.