Page 104 of 114 FirstFirst ... 45494100101102103104105106107108 ... LastLast
Results 3,091 to 3,120 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    The WoW isn't "doctrine," at least not how I understand that term. The doctrine is the idea that our bodies are sacred, we need to respect them and take care of them, and learn to master our bodies with our spirits. As with lots of "doctrines," the way our leaders (or the Lord) ask us to apply those doctrines in our times and circumstances may change. The WoW is essentially guidance on some ways to do that (and, as many have noted in this thread, that is exactly what section 89 says; it's essentially guidance). Over the years, leaders have received additional, ongoing revelation about certain dietary issues. It isn't really changing anything in the D&C, it's consistent with it but just takes it to the next level and essentially makes it a commandment. This isn't really surprising on several levels; people were given time to become accustomed to these standards before they were expected to abandon them completely (and even after certain aspects of the WoW went from advice to commandment, leaders were usually pretty lenient).
    So, even though it's says it's not a commandment you must live it to enter the temple.

Seems like a commandment to me.

Same with beer and meat.

What it says and what we do are almost opposites.

I gotta believe it is just this kind of discussion that forced church leaders to spell it out for people. If it was written on a stone tablet Moses would have smashed it by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I gotta believe it is just this kind of discussion that forced church leaders to spell it out for people. If it was written on a stone tablet Moses would have smashed it by now.

Or a struggling church in an era of pre-prohibition that bans beer to boost converts.

I agree it shouldn't need to be spelled out.

I also think we've become a church of Pharisees and sadducees. It's more important to jump through hoops and avoid "the appearance of evil" than to actually be good and do good.

It's like keeping the sabbath holy. Each of us are different. There are some that probably shouldn't play board games because they become angry and drive away the spirit.

There are others that have wonderful family experiences playing games on Sunday that strengthen bonds and grow closer to each other and closer to God through those experiences.

There shouldn't be a list of dos and donts.

Use your brain. Use the spirit.

Sadly, we've become a nation where we do neither and do so proudly.

Anyhow, this is has blown out of the sports discussion and into something else.

I've made my stance clear, I'll bow out now.

Trying times in Provo. They're in football hell, of course, but signs everywhere indicate it's actually worse than that.

The coach they ran off is enjoying great success at a lowly ACC program, and pounded Boise State - in Boise! - something Elder Mendenhall never accomplished at BYU. He has athletes they couldn't dream about recruiting at BYU, they have a strong armed QB whose dad is a tattoo artist, and Bronco dropped multiple F-Bombs during the game.

"It's surreal to be back here, with different guys, and.... guys are having fun".

And now this heresy about caffeinated drinks at BYU.

What is real anymore? What is real?
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 09-23-2017 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    So, even though it's says it's not a commandment you must live it to enter the temple.

Seems like a commandment to me.

Same with beer and meat.

What it says and what we do are almost opposites.
    Never said it isn't a commandment, it most definitely is a commandment. Just said it isn't doctrine, just the modern application of doctrine (in the form of a commandment).

Actually, to be clear, section 89 is not a commandment. What came later was the commandment.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Never said it isn't a commandment, it most definitely is a commandment. Just said it isn't doctrine, just the modern application of doctrine (in the form of a commandment).

Actually, to be clear, section 89 is not a commandment. What came later was the commandment.
    The dietary laws for ancient Israel are a good example. They were appropriate for the times, but are no longer.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

My wife just read this thread while I ate key lime pie and she says we all need to get a life.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    My wife just read this thread while I ate key lime pie and she says we all need to get a life.
    If she read it, she is just as guilty.

She is correct. This thread should be abandoned until November 2018.

My wife used to tell me that. I've worn her down over the years and she has given up on trying to save me from Utah message boards. I keep telling her it is my only vice and there are so many others that are much worse. I think she's bought that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    She is correct. This thread should be abandoned until November 2018.

via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Trying times in Provo. They're in football hell, of course, but signs everywhere indicate it's actually worse than that.......
    The question facing Utah fans is whether Sitake or Anderson will be our next DC. We'll need one as we send Scalley off to Ohio State for additional seasoning, and to determine whether he's HC material or not.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Saw a tweet this weekend (PK I think) saying Bronco will be a prime contender if either UA or ASU open up. Who would have ever thought that it would be Bronco and maybe not Kalani?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Saw a tweet this weekend (PK I think) saying Bronco will be a prime contender if either UA or ASU open up. Who would have ever thought that it would be Bronco and maybe not Kalani?

Guy is a little weird, but who isn't in their own way -- but the dude can coach, no doubt. How hilarious would it be if he was on Utah's short list post era....that'd freak both Utenation and zoobville out. Worlds colliding.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Guy is a little weird, but who isn't in their own way -- but the dude can coach, no doubt. How hilarious would it be if he was on Utah's short list post era....that'd freak both Utenation and zoobville out. Worlds colliding.
    No thanks.

It's been a long time since we've seen any dramatic "dude can coach, no doubt" evidence. Maybe this season will provide something. I'm not ready to count the BSU win yet.

It would be great news for us if UA or ASU hired Bronco. Kyle has always owned him in head-to-head matchups.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-25-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    No thanks......

Yeah me too.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I don't want him either, but agree it would be hilarious for Chris to troll the whole Wasatch Front at once by putting Bronco on the list.

I think Bronco is the perfect G5 coach. Not the greatest recruiter but an amazing coach.

He can take a lackluster class and coach the heck out of them. Defensively he is very good.

He and Whitt are a lot alike in that respect.

The difference so far is that Whitt's recruiting has finally turned the corner (hopefully) and we will start to have consistent top 25 classes.

Bronco does have a top 25 class at BYU, but he hasn't done it consistently.

It looks like a 25-35 class will become Whitt's norm.

somebody posted this as play at home bingo. I got a laugh out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    somebody posted this as play at home bingo. I got a laugh out of it.

Good to see they're keeping up the bingo tradition of having a free square in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Are you hoping we’ll defend that they targeted like we are being persecuted for our righteousness?

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Are you getting the Utah games now where you live?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Are you getting the Utah games now where you live?
    Someone caught a shot of tooblue at his weekend job:

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Are you hoping we’ll defend that they targeted like we are being persecuted for our righteousness?

Just waiting for Exhibit C, D, E, F ...

I have to give credit where credit is due.

Good for him. He'll have a happier life if he can find a way to have a longer fuse.

--Yeats

The fact that it took him that long to apologize is ridiculous. I really have some big time issues with him and Haws and the way they behave on the court. Haws begs for calls as if he is a star who deserves star treatment. He rarely plays good fundamental defense and instead loops under screens, takes plays off, takes stupid chances for steals that put him out of position and generally plays lackadasical so he can conserve energy for his offensive game. He simply doesn't have the physical skills to do those things, but Rose lets him do it anyway. Emery does many of the same things and both of them continually jack up really bad shots on offense.

I read an article in the D News that quoted Haws as saying he thought they would have more space on the court offensively now that Mika is gone. A you f'ing kidding me? Mika was the reason they had any space on the court.

Glad Emery is finally starting to grow up. But their attitude and style on the court is an abomination regradless. I've never hated a BYU team more.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 10-06-2017 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    The fact that it took him that long to apologize is ridiculous. I really have some big time issues with him and haws and the way they behave on the court. Haws begs for calls as if he is a star who deserves star treatment. He rarely plays good fundamental defense and instead loops under screens takes plays off, takes stupid chances for steals that put him out of position and generally plays lackadasical so he can conserve energy for his offensive game. he doesn't have the physical skills to do those things. Emery does some of the same things and both of them continually jack up really bad shots on offense. I read an article in the D News that quoted haws as saying he thought they would have more space on the court offensively now that Mika is gone. Mika was the only reason they had any space on the court.

Glad Emery is finally starting to grow up. but their attitude and style on the court is an abomination. I'e neve rliked a BYU team worse.
    I agree that it was way overdue. But better late than never and maybe there is a glimmer of hope that his sense of entitlement is being tamped by maturity.

BTW, I still think he's a punk. But I have to give him credit for owning up to what he did.