Page 65 of 114 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667686975 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,950 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Didn't work so well for Michigan. If they had picked a worse P5 - BYU for example - they would have gone bowling.

Utah is in a no man's land for P5 scheduling right now. The weak teams don't want to add us because we are too good. The power programs don't want to add us because we are not good enough. It's a problem.
    I was at the Michigan v Utah game ... there was no way Michigan was going bowling regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Did the SEC change their mine? They had original said they would not count BYU as a P5, but I haven't paid attention lately.
    Yep, and Army, rumor is the SEC are still debating the Coast Guard.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    I was at the Michigan v Utah game ... there was no way Michigan was going bowling regardless.
    Wait, you're saying a 6-6 Michigan team wouldn't have gone to a bowl? I know you're trying to troll here, but this is an incredibly weak trolling effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Wait, you're saying a 6-6 Michigan team wouldn't have gone to a bowl? I know you're trying to troll here, but this is an incredibly weak trolling effort.
    Defeating a 6-6 Michigan Team is no small feat ask that 1984 BYU Team

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Defeating a 6-6 Michigan Team is no small feat ask that 1984 BYU Team
    You're bringing up 1984?

You're bringing up 1984?
    wasn't 1984 the pinnacle of BYU Athletics? (Not defeating a team in the top 50 and getting a national championship out of it). the Y fans I know speak of it with solemn reverence and great pride.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    wasn't 1984 the pinnacle of BYU Athletics? (Not defeating a team in the top 50 and getting a national championship out of it). the Y fans I know speak of it with solemn reverence and great pride.
    It was a sacred time and a sacred achievement. No rational or righteous person may deride it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-01-2015 at 12:44 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It was a sacred time and a sacred achievement. No rational or righteous person may deride it.
    It led to the BCS system, which led to Utah entering the Pac12, which led to BYU going independent, which led to Bronco and Holmoe begging the Big12 for admission, which led to nothing. So yeah, 1984 ain't so bad in the long run.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-01-2015 at 12:44 PM.

It led to the BCS system, which led to Utah entering the Pac12, which led to BYU going independent, which led to Bronco and Holmoe begging the Big12 for admission, which led to nothing. So yeah, 1984 ain't so bad in the long run.
    When you put it that way, 1984 was awesome! That was the gift that keeps on giving for time and for all eternity.

I see the hand of Providence at work.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I see the hand of Providence at work.
    It’s remarkable in contrasts: what one program can accomplish, in changing the very landscape and nature of a sports culture. As compared to another program, which can only ever hope to reap the benefits of that culture, through no fault of their own.

And I guess it’s even more significant if you consider the place it holds in your collective Psyches. Truth be told, I’ve moved on. But if ya’ll can’t let it go, then have at it.

Utah, the new Alabama (or the baby boomers of College football)!

It’s remarkable in contrasts: what one program can accomplish, in changing the very landscape and nature of a sports culture. As compared to another program, which can only ever hope to reap the benefits of that culture, through no fault of their own.

And I guess it’s even more significant if you consider the place it holds in your collective Psyches. Truth be told, I’ve moved on. But if ya’ll can’t let it go, then have at it.

What BYU fans are going through is a lot more intense than the normal college fan roller coaster.

The pressure that has come to bear on BYU, expectations to impress the CFB world by slaying P5 opponents and stand out on the national stage, combined with stagnation/mediocrity in the football product, is resulting in really thoughtful, seasoned fans jumping off the ship, in public ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    What BYU fans are going through is a lot more intense than the normal college fan roller coaster.

The pressure that has come to bear on BYU, expectations to impress the CFB world by slaying P5 opponents and stand out on the national stage, combined with stagnation/mediocrity in the football product, is resulting in really thoughtful, seasoned fans jumping off the ship, in public ways.
    I'm not certain you are directing this at me, but I haven't jumped ship. I am looking forward to this season and watching BYU. In contrast, I'm somewhat indifferent about Utah's upcoming season. I think they should do better than finish 5th in their division. But, maybe not.

I'm not certain you are directing this at me, but I haven't jumped ship. I am looking forward to this season and watching BYU. In contrast, I'm somewhat indifferent about Utah's upcoming season. I think they should do better than finish 5th in their division. But, maybe not.
    Meh. 5th in the South last year (with a #21 finish in the season-ending polls, mind you) would have been good enough for #2 in the North.

Meanwhile your team might have finished just behind CSU in the MWC and, well, you know how overmatched the Rams were in the Veg Bowl.

Good hell. Your team can't even win the post-game brawls they start.

In fact you should be thrilled you live outside* of Utah. The BYU of Provo isn't doing much of anything to help out the home crowd. I mean, seriously, playing Wagner late in the season? The Provo crowd has to be pissed off. Those who travel to Lincoln and Ann Arbor will be treated to two of the greatest game-day environments in all of sports.

*speaking seriously for a moment, Toronto is one of the great cities of the world. That would be a fantastic place to live.

When you reference Alabama, is that in a the 'marry your 14 year-old cousin' sense? Because the National Brand of Brigham Young would seem to be more appropriate in that sense...

There is a rumor going around that someone hacked Holmoe's Twitter account and tweeted that BYU was in the Big12. I have a screen pic, but it isn't dated and just has a "5h" time stamp.

Did that actually happen? Think of all of the ruined ankle socks.

Yes, the lord uses the small and simple things to bring forth his great work.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    When you reference Alabama, is that in a the 'marry your 14 year-old cousin' sense? Because the National Brand of Brigham Young would seem to be more appropriate in that sense...
    Pleas be respectful. It's not Brigham young, it's division one football team.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where the argument for a team getting in to that 4th spot over another ends up being "but they beat BYU."
    It's not that. It's that the argument will be "but they played BYU and not a FCS team ..."

I think it's a little early to start digging the grave for the psyche of the BYU fan. The Nebraska game is winnable, and Boise State was run wild on by Air Force and UNM's option attacks. What do you think Taysom Hill will do to that defense?

The schedule says they'll finish 6-6, but if they can beat Nebraska, a 9- or 10-win season becomes their new ceiling. And we all know BYU is a leading contender in the Frontrunner Top 25 Poll every year.

The Y was an Elias for us. A noble role.

As for you, my friend, I'm glad you've moved on. That makes it all the more touching that you, who no longer care about the rivalry, still care enough about us to come here and chat about these things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Pleas be respectful. It's not Brigham young, it's division one football team.
    DOFT for short.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    There is a rumor going around that someone hacked Holmoe's Twitter account and tweeted that BYU was in the Big12. I have a screen pic, but it isn't dated and just has a "5h" time stamp.

Did that actually happen? Think of all of the ruined ankle socks.
    It looked like a marginal photoshop job to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Yes, the lord uses the small and simple things to bring forth his great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    DOFT for short.
    :high five:

Last edited by tooblue; 08-02-2015 at 07:14 PM.

good for him. Here's a kid who knows that there is life after football

Sounds like he is learning the Mormon gospel of wealth very well.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I just got a text that Jamaal Williams is leaving BYU.

That's going to hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I just got a text that Jamaal Williams is leaving BYU.

That's going to hurt.
    Nah, king Taysom will just be jumping over lines of scrimmage anyways. Just one less person to get in the way ��
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

ByuTV had a replay of the Harline game yesterday. Man, we were bad that year on offense that year.

Its amazing how close we are to having won the rivalry game every year since 96!