Page 98 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4888949596979899100101102108 ... LastLast
Results 2,911 to 2,940 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This stuff writes itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think Nick Emery wrote that.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This stuff writes itself.

What he meant to say is that we punch them in the back of the head.

Wow, just. . . Wow! Crazy that they beat the Zags in so many ways.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Give the Cougs their due, that's quite a win.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Give the Cougs their due, that's quite a win.

The church really is true!!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Alright. I'll go to church tomorrow, just for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Alright. I'll go to church tomorrow, just for you.

Good. I don't want you denying signs and wonders.

--Yeats

Shots fired.

Shots fired.

Last night was the first full BYU game I've seen this season. Mika looks good to me. I wonder if he will consider declaring. He went on a mission, so he's old. It would be hard for him to improve his draft stock as an old guy in a league that drafts on potential. He didn't look very athletic. I wonder if he would be drafted.

The media is doubling down on Gonzaga as a final four team even after the loss. We'll see. What if Gonzaga became a true power? What if they won a few titles, and regularly made it to the final four? In that situation, would the Pac-12 try to add them? At that point, they would be a money maker for the conference, and the conference would hate having a western mid-major showing it up.

Mika had a block on a dunk last night in the final minutes that was tremendous, and led to three TOs in a row by Gonzaga.

I was happy to see a no-call on that play, because it absolutely would have been called a foul on Collette or Kuzma. I was almost jealous of the WCC refs after that game...

(For reference, the last 1:48 of the Utah-CU game took almost 19 minutes to play due to fouls/commercials).

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Mika had a block on a dunk last night in the final minutes that was tremendous, and led to three TOs in a row by Gonzaga.

I was happy to see a no-call on that play, because it absolutely would have been called a foul on Collette or Kuzma. I was almost jealous of the WCC refs after that game...

(For reference, the last 1:48 of the Utah-CU game took almost 19 minutes to play due to fouls/commercials).
    I remember it.

Collette leads the nation in borderline foul calls. He's in foul trouble every game, but he's not a hacker at all. Nearly every one of the calls is an "I guess" kinda call.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The media is doubling down on Gonzaga as a final four team even after the loss. We'll see. What if Gonzaga became a true power? What if they won a few titles, and regularly made it to the final four? In that situation, would the Pac-12 try to add them? At that point, they would be a money maker for the conference, and the conference would hate having a western mid-major showing it up.
    Nope. They don't play football.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post

PAC 12 and WCC refs come from the same pool.

http://pac-12.com/article/2015/08/04...ating-alliance
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Nope. They don't play football.
    I figure that's what makes it work.

CB never changes.

CB never changes.

I'm pretty sure that guy was being facetious. It can be hard to tell on cougarboard, though.

Sports Illustrated with the troll.

I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That's an amazingly perceptive statement about BYU. He's going to be "hated" in Provo now, but he's dead on.
    NCAA Tournament Sunday Gonzaga Press Conference ...

Question: I was wondering if you could, for oblivious eastern people, if there are any, could you give a tour of your league, like a brief tour, what it's like to play it. And maybe what are a few of the hard spots to go and why they're tough?

Mark Few: “Certainly. And I think, well, first of all, let's start with, I don't know how many places out east, the center of the universe, have a place like BYU. There's 20,000 people that roll in there, and they're as dedicated to the cause of cheering for their Cougars as any place I've ever been. And we've been fortunate enough to basically be everywhere."

http://www.scout.com/college/north-c...day-gonzaga-pc
    Last edited by tooblue; 04-02-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post

Question: I was wondering if you could, for oblivious eastern people, if there are any, could you give a tour of your league, like a brief tour, what it's like to play it. And maybe what are a few of the hard spots to go and why they're tough?

Mark Few: “Certainly. And I think, well, first of all, let's start with, I don't know how many places out east, the center of the universe, have a place like BYU. There's 20,000 people that roll in there, and they're as dedicated to the cause of cheering for their Cougars as any place I've ever been. And we've been fortunate enough to basically be everywhere."

Congratulations on having the most intimidating environment in the WCC (excluding Gonzaga).

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Congratulations on having the most intimidating environment in the WCC (excluding Gonzaga).
    I can say from first-hand experience when they handed out those light up glow sticks when Utah played there last time the place was intimidating. Of course that all got undermined when they asked for everyone to give them back.

I think I told you guys about that. It was the single funniest thing I think I've seen with the crowd at a college basketball game. After the game started the cheerleaders went through the crowd with those big Tupperware storage bins and collected them all back up.

I guess I was glad to see my tithing money being used wisely.

pretty comical that you felt the need to post that here

Loss to BYU, out of nowhere, sets stage for Gonzaga's title run

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lina/99961272/

Loss to BYU, out of nowhere, sets stage for Gonzaga's title run

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...lina/99961272/
    condolences to BYU, you almost did it.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 04-03-2017 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    condolences to BYU, you almost did it.
    Ditto UVU.

Bronco keeps on being Bronco. This time it's his assistants he throws under the bus, not his players. He's "disappointed," you see.

College football: Virginia admits 32 recruiting violations under Bronco Mendenhall

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5153243...-32-recruiting

--Yeats

Bronco keeps on being Bronco. This time it's his assistants he throws under the bus, not his players. He's "disappointed," you see.

College football: Virginia admits 32 recruiting violations under Bronco Mendenhall

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/5153243...-32-recruiting
    This happens on such a frequent basis that the rule is laughable. The problem the assistants had was that they allowed their photographs to be taken with the recruits.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    This happens on such a frequent basis that the rule is laughable. The problem the assistants had was that they allowed their photographs to be taken with the recruits.
    Good point. I just always find it funny when Bronco refuses to take full responsibility for things that happen on his watch.

--Yeats

Good point. I just always find it funny when Bronco refuses to take full responsibility for things that happen on his watch.
    A valuable skill he learned at his time at BYU.

I'll just leave this right here. (Hint: Cougarboard is a star of this article.)

Rolly: Thus saith BYU fan board: Thou shalt not praise Tribune’s Pulitzer

--Yeats