Page 99 of 114 FirstFirst ... 49899596979899100101102103109 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,970 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Speaking of CB, I enjoyed this thread on Utah's dline thoroughly.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=17705416

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was interesting to learn that Sitake built our current D-line. Too bad guys like Kruger, Pouha, Solai, and Misi couldn't have been coached by them. Who knows how good they could've been.

I love the "not a good cultural fit" references you see there often. It is usually a "they would have wanted to play at BYU but..."

Then to keep themselves in check they'll note the high academic standards of their football players. Cmon. BYU has no shortage of guys who can barely spell their name.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I love the "not a good cultural fit" references you see there often. It is usually a "they would have wanted to play at BYU but..."

Then to keep themselves in check they'll note the high academic standards of their football players. Cmon. BYU has no shortage of guys who can barely spell their name.

There are no academic standards for athletes. But let's not forget that any worthy LDS athlete's first choice is always BYU. As Bronco used to say, athletes recruit BYU, not the other way around. Bronco also liked to say the Cougars have academic standards of Stanford.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    There are no academic standards for athletes. But let's not forget that any worthy LDS athlete's first choice is always BYU. As Bronco used to say, athletes recruit BYU, not the other way around. Bronco also liked to say the Cougars have academic standards of Stanford.

And the academic requirements for regular students aren't as lofty as they would have you believe either.

It had not occurred to me to check how BYU players did in the NFL draft but a Facebook friends posted these:

BYU_Drafted_1995_2000.jpg

BYU_Drafted_2005_2017.jpg

Lest we get carried away in our gloating, we still beat them only by a single point and needed to win on the final play of the game.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 05-01-2017 at 02:39 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

It had not occurred to me to check how BYU players did in the NFL draft but a Facebook friends posted these:

Lest we get carried away in our gloating, we still beat them only by a single point and needed to win on the final play of the game.
    Win is win and they all count

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Win is win and they all count

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Sure. Just saying NFL talent doesn't necessarily translate into wins.

--Yeats

Big deal. Oregon didn't have any players drafted this year and beat us. This whole chest-thumping by BYU because they lost to us by a single point is really small change.

We were up 7 at the end of the third quarter vs BYU. Then, we went on an 11 minute drive and they didn't get the ball back until there was 2 mins left in the game. Yeah, we only won by one point. BUT, we had six TO's in the first three quarters. Once again, when we needed to win, we pushed them around and closed the door on the game.

There is a massive talent discrepancy vs BYU. BUT, at the OC position, we had a massive talent...or lack of talent, at the helm. If you go back and look at the games since the PAC-12, most of the BYU/Utah games have been over at the end of the third quarter (two score lead). Credit to BYU for not quitting. Credit to them for fighting until the end.

But at the same time, the games are never close until Utah lets up at the end. If Utah can have any sort of success offensively, then the games will become even more lopsided.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

BYU ends rivalry once and for all by purchasing University of Utah

http://www.ldsinkslinger.com/top-sto...ersity-of-utah

--Yeats

BYU ends rivalry once and for all by purchasing University of Utah

http://www.ldsinkslinger.com/top-sto...ersity-of-utah
    Oh that sweet Summer Child.

More2Life & the Harlem Jets — 2017 - Link below in the event the video won't play when embedded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZqm...layer_embedded

The Deseret News did a 10 paragraph article on Jimmer running in the Pioneer Day 5k.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...oneer-Day.html

--Yeats

Is this a thing then?

just when you thought the BYU Hype machine might take a season off

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=45083381&nid...yu-keep-sitake

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    just when you thought the BYU Hype machine might take a season off

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=45083381&nid...yu-keep-sitake

Nope
    I posted this in another thread, but talking to some coaches I know close to Kalani, he will leave at the first good P5 opportunity because he knows the ceiling, does not like Holmoe acting like a GM and hiring guys without his input and does not have the budget to pay top flight assistants.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Is this a thing then?

Exacting what are they trying to be?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I posted this in another thread, but talking to some coaches I know close to Kalani, he will leave at the first good P5 opportunity because he knows the ceiling, does not like Holmoe acting like a GM and hiring guys without his input and does not have the budget to pay top flight assistants.
    my bad, I looked to see if it was posted elsewhere and clearly I didn't look hard enough .... lazy

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    my bad, I looked to see if it was posted elsewhere and clearly I didn't look hard enough .... lazy
    I didn't post the KSL story. I posted what I wrote.

Some interesting drama between BYU and USU may be brewing over East High Grad and recently returned missionary Joe Tukuafu. Sounds like Joe committed to USU before his mission and now has had a 'might change of heart' and wants to go to the Y, but Wells is standing in the way. He has insisted that he has not signed anything with USU after his mission. Something to keep an eye on. I kind of feel like Wells is taking a stand against missionary poaching.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Some interesting drama between BYU and USU may be brewing over East High Grad and recently returned missionary Joe Tukuafu. Sounds like Joe committed to USU before his mission and now has had a 'might change of heart' and wants to go to the Y, but Wells is standing in the way. He has insisted that he has not signed anything with USU after his mission. Something to keep an eye on. I kind of feel like Wells is taking a stand against missionary poaching.
    I listened to a discussion about this on the radio this morning. His mother posted a long facebook post yesterday trying to shame wells into doing the right thing. Apparently he has already enrolled at the Y, but can't get a scholie because Wells wont release him. Kurt Kragthorpe was saying that USU is very concerned about becoming a farm system for the Y and, to a lesser extent, the U, because of the mission rule. BYU did not offer him out of high school, but have now decided they can use him. I can see Wells' point--the missionary thing makes this different; it is hard to invest in recruiting these kids, then they get a free change of heart after the mission.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I listened to a discussion about this on the radio this morning. His mother posted a long facebook post yesterday trying to shame wells into doing the right thing. Apparently he has already enrolled at the Y, but can't get a scholie because Wells wont release him. Kurt Kragthorpe was saying that USU is very concerned about becoming a farm system for the Y and, to a lesser extent, the U, because of the mission rule. BYU did not offer him out of high school, but have now decided they can use him. I can see Wells' point--the missionary thing makes this different; it is hard to invest in recruiting these kids, then they get a free change of heart after the mission.
    Thanks for the clarification on his enrollment/financial aid situation. I will be interested to see how this shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on his enrollment/financial aid situation. I will be interested to see how this shakes out.

I just saw an update. He returned from his mission in Dec. 2016. According to Wells, he renewed his commitment to USU then. Tukuafu denies it, sort of. He enrolled at the Y in January. I assume it is the renewed commitment in Dec. 2016 that gives Wells the ability not to release him.

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

This is really is abusive and inappropriate. BYU needs to understand the PR damage it causes them and simply stop it. Maybe the Board of Trustees will finally step in and tell them to stop embarrassing the church.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Everything I have heard is that right now he, the kid DT who transferred from Oregon and the OL from Notre Dame are not eligible. They are appealing the Notre Dame kid under some hardship deal.

I don't think the Well's releasing him changes his eligibility. It would allow him to be on scholarship.

The Y's talking points - particularly Sitake's have been: "if a player doesn't want to be there then why would you force them" and "I would never make a player stay who didn't want to be at the Y." Sitake's also stated that they don't recruit players while on missions. It's the latter piece that rankles Utah and I'm sure USU. Even though Whittingham and Scalley, in particular, maintain a good relationship with Sitake, they are troubled that he actively writes a few of Utah's players on missions. They've called him out on it and his reply is that if he has a relationship with them he's going to write them and offer support while they're on their mission. Utah's policy is the exact opposite. If a BYU player who they recruited and know goes on a mission they are not written or communicated with. Whittingham views writing missionaries as a recruiting/stewarding activity. The U isn't above discussing a change with players who go on missions but it's following the mission service.