Page 25 of 114 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    It tickles me that this is still your #1 thread over here.
    Your board needs supervision. Don't you realize what is going on over there? For heaven's sake, man, get back there and take care of matters before something terrible happens!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    The thread was started by a Ute. But I won't accuse Senioritis of having herpes.
    I wouldn't consider it an accusation anyway. More like a badge of honor.

This thread is serving its intended purpose perfectly. All of the obsession in one tidy little place. The rest of this glorious board remains uncluttered from tired honor code jokes, the ubershmarm of Captain Bronconi, and the smooth country stylings of the pug nosed Dave Rose.

And Nate Cooper can die of gonorrhea and roast in hell.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not very good with numbers, but I would guess there are 20-30 posts here on other threads for every 1 post on this one.

I would also guess that you BYU fans are among the top posters on this thread. I suppose I could figure out where your board is, go there, post every day in a thread about herpes,and then point out that the herpes thread is your #1.
    Sancho, you seem really tightly wound. You are becoming one of my favorites here.

Sancho, you seem really tightly wound. You are becoming one of my favorites here.
    Our BYU brethren will always be hovering nearby to keep us in check. I personally think it is derived from a Home Teaching guilt complex. I do have to say Brother Lebowski, if you are going to stop by, don't you think you should share a message and ask us if you can do anything for us?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Our BYU brethren will always be hovering nearby to keep us in check. I personally think it is derived from a Home Teaching guilt complex. I do have to say Brother Lebowski, if you are going to stop by, don't you think you should share a message and ask us if you can do anything for us?
    He could at least bring us some Epic brews.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He could at least bring us some Epic brews.
    It would be the polite thing to do.

I am going to wait until the end of the month.

I don't understand why we are still talking about BYU. I guess I understand why they care what we are saying though there are several boards for talking about BYU. This is a Utah board.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    I don't understand why we are still talking about BYU. I guess I understand why they care what we are saying though there are several boards for talking about BYU. This is a Utah board.
    Find Wally's post somewhere below. He nails the answer to your question.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

This ought to be interesting for BYU fans...

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Fight Hunger Bowl will make history with two female officials this year.

The game between BYU and Washington on Dec. 27 in San Francisco will be called by a crew from Conference USA that includes Sarah Thomas as line judge and Maia Chaka as head linesman.

NCAA national coordinator of officials Rogers Redding says it is the first time two female officials have worked the same FBS game.

Thomas became the first female official in major college football in 2007 and the first to work a bowl game in 2009 at the Little Caesars Bowl.

A Division II game earlier this year between Miles College and Lane had four female officials. That was billed as the first NCAA game with a majority-female officiating crew.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    It tickles me that the big 12 expansion thread is #1 on cuf
    Your post made me curious so I checked. The #1 thread (in terms of # of replies) is the Utah Jazz thread, not the B12 thread. The Lakers thread isn't even in the top 10 anymore (phew).

Your post made me curious so I checked. The #1 thread (in terms of # of replies) is the Utah Jazz thread, not the B12 thread. The Lakers thread isn't even in the top 10 anymore (phew).
    What place is the b12 thread?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    What place is the b12 thread?
    Second I believe. The Romney vs Obama thread is right up there. As is the photo thread in the private forum.

Assume Utah (in our wildest dreams) finishes 9-3 and BYU 11-1, cougs will claime superior record, Utes will claim superior SOS and the debate will rage as to which team is best in state.
    But we have a choice on whether to participate in the debate or not. Sure, zoobs will claim superiority, but they do that no matter what the facts are. We don't have to listen or engage them in discussion. And talking to zoobs is usually a waste of time, anyway So why bother? Now, if you want to chat with some non-zoob BYU fans, that's something else, but being non-zoobs, they should be able to accept the facts, including SOS and head to head. Nonetheless, we get to decide how we feel about Utah's season, not anyone else, not the local media, not cb or cuf.

Think of how insufferable byu fans are this year claiming they are a superior team, despite the noteworthy fact that we beat them handily (in their stadium).
    If they are insufferable, it is because we allow them to be by engaging them in discussion. Zoobs are just like conspiracy nuts who will believe what they want to believe regardless of the facts. "Oh, you're one of those." you say, "moving on."

A wise man once said "It takes emotion to hate and emotion to love, but no emotion is required to be indifferent." Zoobs aren't worth any emotion at all.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Find Wally's post somewhere below. He nails the answer to your question.
    Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    See this is where we see things differently. Supposing both teams have banner years, I don't see a way, unless one of them wins the NC that the season doesn't end on a note of comparison between them. Assume Utah (in our wildest dreams) finishes 9-3 and BYU 11-1, cougs will claime superior record, Utes will claim superior SOS and the debate will rage as to which team is best in state. Take that to the bank. In fact, the only scenario for avoiding this conflict is for BYU to suck and Utah to shine, because if BYU sucks against a "lesser" schedule, the logical hoops to jump through to claim superiority over a good P12 Utah team become nigh-impossible.

Utah and BYU, both sons of Brigham Young, are entrenched in a vigorous sibling rivalry. sibling rivalry is never truly subverted no matter what state of inner rivalry nirvana the siblings think they have achieved. For evidence of this, see practically every one-on-one basketball game played by adult brothers. The fact that each institution is so different with respect to mission, culture, areas of academic emphasis, only distances the siblings enough regarding empathy for one another to allow for true loathing to exist. By the way, the institutions are separated by a mere 40 miles and compete for the adulation of the locals constantly, and in every way. Even if you live outside the epicenter of this conflict, you are subject to it when you interact with family in Utah or when you monitor the performance of your alma mater. This conflict catches easier than influenza.
    A can't even believe I wrote this. Makes me nervous that I am unknowingly sharing my login with some other dude who is erroneously giving people around here the impression that "wally makes sense."

I am going to print this page off and put it on the fridge next to my kids' homework assignments. My wife will probably throw it in the trash, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    I wouldn't consider it an accusation anyway. More like a badge of honor.

This thread is serving its intended purpose perfectly. All of the obsession in one tidy little place. The rest of this glorious board remains uncluttered from tired honor code jokes, the ubershmarm of Captain Bronconi, and the smooth country stylings of the pug nosed Dave Rose.

And Nate Cooper can die of gonorrhea and roast in hell.
    I for one am happy that Senioritis threw himself on this grenade by having the stones to start this thread. People may tease about phased shaving and the like, but while many consider him to simply be a Consigliere, Senioritis is in fact not afraid to get his hands dirty, and nothing he does is without its strategy. I for one, thank you, sir.

Wait, you went to check? I'll accept being tightly wound if you accept being high strung. Or insecure. Your choice.

Wait, you went to check? I'll accept being tightly wound if you accept being high strung. Or insecure. Your choice.
    Thanks for doubling down. I rest my case.

MRD is a good friend. I was genuinely curious if the B12 thread was still at #1. I assumed it was. Had no idea the Jazz thread had that many posts.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    A can't even believe I wrote this. Makes me nervous that I am unknowingly sharing my login with some other dude who is erroneously giving people around here the impression that "wally makes sense."

I am going to print this page off and put it on the fridge next to my kids' homework assignments. My wife will probably throw it in the trash, though.
    You nailed it, wally. lol @ UtahDan.

MRD is a good friend. I was genuinely curious if the B12 thread was still at #1. I assumed it was. Had no idea the Jazz thread had that many posts.
    I can say with 100% certainty, and without fear of being exposed as a liar, that I don't care a bit about the Jazz.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-19-2013 at 04:10 PM.

--Yeats

I feel like you're that guy on Seinfeld that always has a comeback. I can't beat you. Anyway, the jerk store just called, and they're running out of you.

I feel like you're that guy on Seinfeld that always has a comeback. I can't beat you. Anyway, the jerk store just called, and they're running out of you.
    I have tried but I can't come up with a comeback to this.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I have tried but I can't come up with a comeback to this.
    Nor can I. Can't stop laughing.

You nailed it, wally. lol @ UtahDan.
    There really is a place where Ute fans go to have BYU fans act like dicks to them. Seemingly they enjoy it. It's just not here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

There really is a place where Ute fans go to have BYU fans act like dicks to them. Seemingly they enjoy it. It's just not here.
    Yeah. Some would call that place "church".

Nor can I. Can't stop laughing.
    The Lebowski posting in this thread isn't the one I've known. What's up with this?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Yeah. Some would call that place "church".
    You just won the internet. *deep bow*

Carl Sagan

Geez, lighten up Francis. I was teasing you about your ongoing insistence that the rivalry no longer exists.

Our BYU brethren will always be hovering nearby to keep us in check.
    They will but I don't feel the need for this. Most Ute fans that have a tendency to be zoobish get over it quickly when they realize the Utes are not as good as we thought they were in the PAC. The converse does not seem to apply; even when we were in the same conference a large contingency of TDS fans could never admit that Utah had bested them. This is probably the main reason that I'm cooling on the rivalry; what's the point of defeating someone when they can't recognize that they're beaten? 54-10 was the height of zoob delusion- by the end of that season, that game was a "fluke" and TDS would have destroyed Utah if they'd played again. Zoobs are the pathetically taunting Black Knight and Ute fans are King Arthur riding off in disbelief that the idiots can't recognize the bloodbath that is 4 in a row and 9 of 12, etc.

No zoob will ever welcome a Ute in the interest of helping them maintain perspective; other Cougs administer the reality checks for them. I feel like we do the same and police ourselves pretty well. When a zoob gloats over the Utes struggling in the PAC, scoreboard smack should shut them up, but they aren't rational. Have you heard Brady Poppinga insisting that results on the field aren't indicative of the relative states of the two programs? I'd think he was severely brain damaged except that I hear the same pretzel logic from too many zoobs that insist BYU has a better football program right now than the U.

I remember the 80s and 90s; I remember hating BYU but begrudgingly admitting that we were beaten and they were better. I remember after certain victories, knowing we'd pulled a fast one- we had been the better team THAT day, but overall- they were better; and I could acknowledge it to their faces, painful as that was. I see very few zoobs being that honest now that the tables have turned. Fine, screw them. Reading this, it sounds like they really live in my head, and they do, a little, but this is more about purging and the fact that I'm just tired of them. If it's no fun to beat them, and you get so little credit for defeating them, what's the point? I will be perfectly happy to see the Utes play them every couple or three years, or every year. The results will be the same- a win most years and a clear message to local recruits about which program is dominant.

Personally, I feel like I'm ready to begin my 2 year break with their fanbase. Their zoobishness has become intolerable to me; I've reached my threshold of smug self-righteous a-holery and delusions of superiority and being on the cusp of contending for a MNC. I'm tired of pointing to the scoreboard and hearing excuses and logic more tortured than an Al-Queda leader in Camp X-ray.

Exactly, so I guess it's time to stop contributing to this thread if I'm as done with the d-bags as I think I am. Enjoy you're Poppinga victories Cougars; try not to think about how long it's been since you had an undefeated season, or that you're first, inevitable defeat each season ends your quest for a major bowl; ignore those two-and-ones that everyone knows are really just two one-and-dones. Keep imagining that Sunday play is what's keeping you out of the Big Boy conferences. Bask in the anti-gonzo weirdness that is Bronco Mendenhall and keep telling yourself that he routinely declines offers to coach top-ten programs, and that no one could possibly be a better coach for BYU (except maybe the guy they tried to hire before approaching Bronco). Ignore all those Utes marauding the fields of NFL highlights while a handful of Cougars languish on the sidelines. Gear up for the next Heisman campaign for the best darn mid-major player no one outside of Provo has heard of. I could go on, but I think that got most of it out of my system.

I eagerly look forward to your rationales for the Kraft Hunger Bowl loss; wait, no I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Crimson View Post
    They will but I don't feel the need for this. Most Ute fans that have a tendency to be zoobish get over it quickly when they realize the Utes are not as good as we thought they were in the PAC. The converse does not seem to apply; even when we were in the same conference a large contingency of TDS fans could never admit that Utah had bested them. This is probably the main reason that I'm cooling on the rivalry; what's the point of defeating someone when they can't recognize that they're beaten? 54-10 was the height of zoob delusion- by the end of that season, that game was a "fluke" and TDS would have destroyed Utah if they'd played again. Zoobs are the pathetically taunting Black Knight and Ute fans are King Arthur riding off in disbelief that the idiots can't recognize the bloodbath that is 4 in a row and 9 of 12, etc.

No zoob will ever welcome a Ute in the interest of helping them maintain perspective; other Cougs administer the reality checks for them. I feel like we do the same and police ourselves pretty well. When a zoob gloats over the Utes struggling in the PAC, scoreboard smack should shut them up, but they aren't rational. Have you heard Brady Poppinga insisting that results on the field aren't indicative of the relative states of the two programs? I'd think he was severely brain damaged except that I hear the same pretzel logic from too many zoobs that insist BYU has a better football program right now than the U.

I remember the 80s and 90s; I remember hating BYU but begrudgingly admitting that we were beaten and they were better. I remember after certain victories, knowing we'd pulled a fast one- we had been the better team THAT day, but overall- they were better; and I could acknowledge it to their faces, painful as that was. I see very few zoobs being that honest now that the tables have turned. Fine, screw them. Reading this, it sounds like they really live in my head, and they do, a little, but this is more about purging and the fact that I'm just tired of them. If it's no fun to beat them, and you get so little credit for defeating them, what's the point? I will be perfectly happy to see the Utes play them every couple or three years, or every year. The results will be the same- a win most years and a clear message to local recruits about which program is dominant.

Personally, I feel like I'm ready to begin my 2 year break with their fanbase. Their zoobishness has become intolerable to me; I've reached my threshold of smug self-righteous a-holery and delusions of superiority and being on the cusp of contending for a MNC. I'm tired of pointing to the scoreboard and hearing excuses and logic more tortured than an Al-Queda leader in Camp X-ray.

Exactly, so I guess it's time to stop contributing to this thread if I'm as done with the d-bags as I think I am. Enjoy you're Poppinga victories Cougars; try not to think about how long it's been since you had an undefeated season, or that you're first, inevitable defeat each season ends your quest for a major bowl; ignore those two-and-ones that everyone knows are really just two one-and-dones. Keep imagining that Sunday play is what's keeping you out of the Big Boy conferences. Bask in the anti-gonzo weirdness that is Bronco Mendenhall and keep telling yourself that he routinely declines offers to coach top-ten programs, and that no one could possibly be a better coach for BYU (except maybe the guy they tried to hire before approaching Bronco). Ignore all those Utes marauding the fields of NFL highlights while a handful of Cougars languish on the sidelines. Gear up for the next Heisman campaign for the best darn mid-major player no one outside of Provo has heard of. I could go on, but I think that got most of it out of my system.

I eagerly look forward to your rationales for the Kraft Hunger Bowl loss; wait, no I don't.
    Oh the piety and condescension. LOL this is priceless.
    Last edited by tooblue; 12-20-2013 at 07:42 AM.