Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I listened to a discussion about this on the radio this morning. His mother posted a long facebook post yesterday trying to shame wells into doing the right thing. Apparently he has already enrolled at the Y, but can't get a scholie because Wells wont release him. Kurt Kragthorpe was saying that USU is very concerned about becoming a farm system for the Y and, to a lesser extent, the U, because of the mission rule. BYU did not offer him out of high school, but have now decided they can use him. I can see Wells' point--the missionary thing makes this different; it is hard to invest in recruiting these kids, then they get a free change of heart after the mission.
    Thanks for the clarification on his enrollment/financial aid situation. I will be interested to see how this shakes out.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Thanks for the clarification on his enrollment/financial aid situation. I will be interested to see how this shakes out.

I just saw an update. He returned from his mission in Dec. 2016. According to Wells, he renewed his commitment to USU then. Tukuafu denies it, sort of. He enrolled at the Y in January. I assume it is the renewed commitment in Dec. 2016 that gives Wells the ability not to release him.

“Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Everything I have heard is that right now he, the kid DT who transferred from Oregon and the OL from Notre Dame are not eligible. They are appealing the Notre Dame kid under some hardship deal.

I don't think the Well's releasing him changes his eligibility. It would allow him to be on scholarship.