Page 101 of 114 FirstFirst ... 5191979899100101102103104105111 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,030 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What I have personally seen happen is that members who are BYU alums, fans, even former players, talk to the missionaries and put them in touch with the coaches. This is especially effective when the person doing the encouraging is a high-level ecclesiastical officer. The missionaries reach out to the BYU coaches, who happily take their calls and stay in touch with them. It's probably totally legal. It just bugs me, which, as I noted above, is my constitutional right.
    I am always going to side with the players in these types of issues. The coaches can change schools without consequences. Why can't the players? If this kid was some kind of chemistry whiz and wanted to transfer to a school with a better chemistry program, people would cheer his ambition, including the chemistry faculty at the "losing" school.

Good programs wish players well when they leave for a better situation (or more playing-time, or whatever). When fans and coaches and administrators get upset over these kinds of decisions, it just shows that a program has bad self-esteem. If byu wants to recruit missionaries, I'm fine with it. That's their thing - as long as the kid is making the decision. Coaches or administrators who prevent transfers (invoking APR concerns or "development investment") are not prioritizing the well-being of the athlete.

P.S. I will vouch for tooblue's family and the loving use of the term "d*p-sh*t. The first time I ever met his mother, she was swearing like a sailor at a malfunctioning toaster.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Please ... no one is letting anything happen, implying they are complicit in wrong doing. There is no wrong doing. It's the athlete on a mission who initiates the contact.
    LOL, and you accuse us of misrepresentations. I'm sure there are probably instances where this is true, and the athlete initiated contact, but I also know there are instances where Bronco and Kalani initiated contact with missionaries with whom they had no preexisting relationship. I've seen the emails, and they were to 2 players who had zero interest in BYU and who certainly did not initiate contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    LOL, and you accuse us of misrepresentations. I'm sure there are probably instances where this is true, and the athlete initiated contact, but I also know there are instances where Bronco and Kalani initiated contact with missionaries with whom they had no preexisting relationship. I've seen the emails, and they were to 2 players who had zero interest in BYU and who certainly did not initiate contact.
    Ya ya, and I bet your wife was the one to make the first move ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I am always going to side with the players in these types of issues. The coaches can change schools without consequences. Why can't the players? If this kid was some kind of chemistry whiz and wanted to transfer to a school with a better chemistry program, people would cheer his ambition, including the chemistry faculty at the "losing" school.

Good programs wish players well when they leave for a better situation (or more playing-time, or whatever). When fans and coaches and administrators get upset over these kinds of decisions, it just shows that a program has bad self-esteem. If byu wants to recruit missionaries, I'm fine with it. That's their thing - as long as the kid is making the decision. Coaches or administrators who prevent transfers (invoking APR concerns or "development investment") are not prioritizing the well-being of the athlete.

P.S. I will vouch for tooblue's family and the loving use of the term "d*p-sh*t. The first time I ever met his mother, she was swearing like a sailor at a malfunctioning toaster.
    Calling Mormon Red Death a malfunctioning toaster is just mean and hurtful. Uncalled for Solon!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Ah, couldn't get in?
    Dude, low blow!!
    A bag of rocks can get accepted to the BYU-I.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    Solon is right as usual. Where ya been?

Again, I would only add that a student should have to sit out a year after a transfer, and no one should be allowed to transfer to a future opponent. This is not chemistry, and there needs to be ways to keep some structure in the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    Dude, low blow!!
    A bag of rocks can get accepted to the BYU-I.
    A bag of rocks and any East High grad, is what you meant to say, right Brian?

I do love how defensive BYU fans get about this subject. Even so, I'm ready to move on. I need to remind myself, as Bronco always said, that BYU doesn't recruit players; players recruit BYU.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I do love how defensive BYU fans get about this subject. Even so, I'm ready to move on. I need to remind myself, as Bronco always said, that BYU doesn't recruit players; players recruit BYU.
    This and the fact that having returned missionaries can be a benefit are the two topics guaranteed to get a strong reaction out of Provo fans.

"BYU doesn't recruit missionaries. They outsource that to mission presidents and local priesthood leaders..."

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    My boys listened to the Prophet's counsel to study close to home. I went to art school ... I wanted to draw nude models that were actually nude
    The prophet is telling people to go to art school now? Man, things have changed.

We are not ready for Mo Langi.

TL;DW;

Did he eventually get to the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    TL;DW;

Did he eventually get to the ball?
    Is he in the two deep or is he a "project?"
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

If he's in the two deep BYU might not go bowling.

He's a sideshow. I don't even know if he is project level yet.

Bernard wants to come to Utah, but says BYU won't let him.

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/byu-cou...-wont-let-him/
    Weird story. Funny how they all got indignant about Wells and the USU TE that wants to transfer to BYU. I'm sure they'll have plenty of justification on how this situation is different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Weird story. Funny how they all got indignant about Wells and the USU TE that wants to transfer to BYU. I'm sure they'll have plenty of justification on how this situation is different.

Sitake is on record saying he won't block a transfer.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...54&itype=CMSID

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Sitake is on record saying he won't block a transfer.

http://archive.sltrib.com/article.ph...54&itype=CMSID

I'm well aware of the quote, which is what makes the whole situation and comparison extra interesting.

I don't know the details of the story, but apparently his brother post to Twitter yesterday about the system being rigged and it seemed to get positive support from several current players. Does Kalani have the beginnings of a mutiny on his hands?!

is Francis Bernard any good? I have no idea. I've heard his name, but that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    is Francis Bernard any good? I have no idea. I've heard his name, but that's about it.
    The consensus seems to be that he's pretty good. I'm not intimately familiar with much of BYU's roster but I believe he started for them last year and I know he made a pretty athletic INT against Utah last year. I bet this whole thing blows over and he stays at BYU but if fortune did have him end up at Utah I'd think he could compete for a starting job after he sitting out a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    He wouldn't start for us this year, but he'd compete next year for playing time.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    He wouldn't start for us this year, but he'd compete next year for playing time.
    Compete for playing time next year? He'd be the best we have returning at lb, and it's not close.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Compete for playing time next year? He'd be the best we have returning at lb, and it's not close.
    I really don't watch BYU enough to know much about him. I know he has good stats, but is he an athletic linebacker or a run stuffer?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I really don't watch BYU enough to know much about him. I know he has good stats, but is he an athletic linebacker or a run stuffer?
    I know nothing about him, but I welcome all linebackers. I'd take safeties this year, too.

Harmon wrote a column about him that had he laughing. He pumped him up to the point that you would think he's LT reincarnated. Then he's like...."well, his run support isn't great and his pass coverage needs work but....."

Any updates on Bernard's decision? A few days ago it sounded like a done deal but now I'm starting to think he may stay at byu.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    Any updates on Bernard's decision? A few days ago it sounded like a done deal but now I'm starting to think he may stay at byu.
    Word on the street is that Holmoe blocked the transfer and is forcing him to stay at BYU or pay his way at Utah. Holmoe is playing bad cop so that Sitake can claim he was cool with it.

Word on the street is that Holmoe blocked the transfer and is forcing him to stay at BYU or pay his way at Utah. Holmoe is playing bad cop so that Sitake can claim he was cool with it.
    Usually, once this type of thing gets public, everyone in the media starts shaming the blocking institution until it caves. Of course, it has to start local, and I'm not sure anyone in the local press is comfortable going against BYU.

Even though it would benefit us here, I still think transfers should be free anywhere except to a team on a future schedule.