Page 105 of 114 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I agree that it was way overdue. But better late than never and maybe there is a glimmer of hope that his sense of entitlement is being tamped by maturity.

BTW, I still think he's a punk. But I have to give him credit for owning up to what he did.
    I am just glad to see some growth. It takes some men longer than others. I know 60+ year-old men who still haven't grown up. In 20 years Nick will just be a guy who used to play basketball. If he can't learn to control his temper he'll also be a guy with lots of problems in his life.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I am just glad to see some growth. It takes some men longer than others. I know 60+ year-old men who still haven't grown up. In 20 years Nick will just be a guy who used to play basketball. If he can't learn to control his temper he'll also be a guy with lots of problems in his life.
    this subtle animosity between you and Seattle needs to stop

Good for him. He'll have a happier life if he can find a way to have a longer fuse.

This is my single greatest worry about my girls finding the right guy. Bad tempers, especially those with a short fuse to go along with it, scare me to death. I can accept a long list of shortcomings as nobody is perfect (heaven knows I have many), but, a bad temper (along with infidelity) is not one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    The fact that it took him that long to apologize is ridiculous. I really have some big time issues with him and Haws and the way they behave on the court.....

I don't get it. Why not accept the apology until he proves otherwise? Those offended did.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    this subtle animosity between you and Seattle needs to stop
    Seattle is all grown up. He's kind of a stick in the mud, to tell the truth.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    This is my single greatest worry about my girls finding the right guy. Bad tempers, especially those with a short fuse to go along with it, scare me to death. I can accept a long list of shortcomings as nobody is perfect (heaven knows I have many), but, a bad temper (along with infidelity) is not one of them.

I don't get it. Why not accept the apology until he proves otherwise? Those offended did.
    I believe in my last paragraph I suggested that it appears he is starting to get it together and good for him. I accept it (if I can since it doesn't involve me).

I still hate the way he and Haws play basketball though.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Probably explains why he didn't throw any punches last year and played out of his game.
    He was not the explosive (pun intended) player last year as he's been in the past.

I watched parts of the Boise St v BYU game last night and I’ll say BYU’s defense is pretty good but seems to be out on the field a lot.

Their offense is horrendous, as bad as I’ve ever seen. Ty Detmer should probably be let go right now.

I’ll admit that it is kind of hard to see.

One more game until they can stage their miraculous turnaround which legend will have began with a private player meeting where the team recommitted to winning etc.

Life as Sitake has to be pretty bleak right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

I’ll admit that it is kind of hard to see.

I also watched bits and pieces of the game. I think people, including myself, way overestimated Magnums ability. The interception before halftime was a terrible decision. Boise has two deep safeties and he throws a ball down the seam. Two things need to happen when they see cover 2, the QB needs to know he can't throw a seam route and the guy running the seam route has to know that he has to take whatever his other option is, which is usually something between the safeties. I also believe Detmer is way over his head. In the early 4th quarter, down 24-7, BYU has the ball near mid-field and have a nice completion called back due to a holding penalty. They are 1st and 20 and gain 17 on a check down to the RB. It has to be 4 down territory and instead of pounding the ball for the 3 yards, they throw incomplete on 2nd down (Mangum was rushed and threw it away), had a 2 1/2 yard completion on 3rd down and throw an incomplete bomb on 4th down. The look on Kalani's face after that series was bewilderment and anger mixed together.

The big problem Kalani faces is I don't think he can fire Detmer, Mahe, Cahoon or Empey. None of them are very good coaches. He didn't hire any of them, Holmoe did.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I also watched bits and pieces of the game. I think people, including myself, way overestimated Magnums ability. The interception before halftime was a terrible decision. Boise has two deep safeties and he throws a ball down the seam. Two things need to happen when they see cover 2, the QB needs to know he can't throw a seam route and the guy running the seam route has to know that he has to take whatever his other option is, which is usually something between the safeties. I also believe Detmer is way over his head. In the early 4th quarter, down 24-7, BYU has the ball near mid-field and have a nice completion called back due to a holding penalty. They are 1st and 20 and gain 17 on a check down to the RB. It has to be 4 down territory and instead of pounding the ball for the 3 yards, they throw incomplete on 2nd down (Mangum was rushed and threw it away), had a 2 1/2 yard completion on 3rd down and throw an incomplete bomb on 4th down. The look on Kalani's face after that series was bewilderment and anger mixed together.

The big problem Kalani faces is I don't think he can fire Detmer, Mahe, Cahoon or Empey. None of them are very good coaches. He didn't hire any of them, Holmoe did.
    I watched parts too. I see BYU fans posts complaining that Detmer has ruined Mangum--that he was much better in Anae's offense. He was hobbling last night, and couldnt put full pressure on his left leg, but he misses a lot of reads. But his receivers did him no favors at all. On that 4th an 1, it was a bewildering call, but might have been brilliant. They were down 3 scores and needed to score quickly. Trinnaman could have caught it--it went right through his hands although he was reaching for it, and he got turned around the wrong way. You dont have to be Carrington to make that catch. There was another play at the pylon on the next drive. The receiver (cant remember who, but not Bushman, Simon, or Trinnaman) was covered but the ball bounced off his hands and helmet. You dont have to be Carrington to get that TD either.

Does the fact that they pulled Critchlow's red shirt mean they have giving up on Mangum or dont expect Hoge to play again? If you are Tanner Mckee how could you ever commit to playing there and not thinking it will ruin your college and professional career.

And where do they go from here? Who are their skill players next year? Tolutau may be better next year, but who else? And their o line cant get any push off the line.

I am happy to see that good old ARod magic working on their offense.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I am happy to see that good old ARod magic working on their offense.
    What are you talking about? He isn't doing anything. He was going to provide an analysis of the oppositions defensive scene and personnel, but decided to not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Three things... I think Sitake is a good dude and this is career ender sort of stuff, and the sort of sadness that a once decent to strong program is on a downward spiral trajectory. Plus, feeling pity for tooblue makes me feel icky inside.

Three things... I think Sitake is a good dude and this is career ender sort of stuff, and the sort of sadness that a once decent to strong program is on a downward spiral trajectory. Plus, feeling pity for tooblue makes me feel icky inside.
    Sitake will be fine. If he's fired at BYU, he (1) is already rich and (2) will land as an assistant somewhere. There is no response but rejoicing at the current state of BYU football.

Toolblue is fine. He hasn't seen a byu loss in years. Plus he loves having detmer back, regardless of results.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    What are you talking about? He isn't doing anything. He was going to provide an analysis of the oppositions defensive scene and personnel, but decided to not do it.
    Relax, it's a joke.

And even byu doesn't look quite that inept yet.

Prediction: Detmer resigns at year end, replaced by Arod.

I don't really pay attention to BYU football, but read today in the Trib a short blurb that Detmer basically said he does not know what he is doing----installing a new offense in the middle of the season & he does not even understand the offense.

Appreciate his honesty------ but that is embarrassing. Hard enough or bad enough to have a head coach with no experience, but then add this guy as the O coordinator?

Right down the toilet.

Offensive coordinator Ty Detmer acknowledged Tuesday that BYU’s offense is “a lot different” than the one he envisioned when he got the job 21 months ago. It is more of a spread attack out of the shotgun formation. The pro-style system that Detmer prefers has mostly been scrapped because Mangum and the other four QBs who have played like the shotgun better.

“So I am learning a ton, on the fly here, as far as some of the other nuances to a spread offense and zone read and bubbles and [run-pass-options] and all those things that I am not as familiar with, and [I am] not afraid to admit it,” Detmer said.

“So, we are learning a lot this year about different schemes and different things,” he continued. “It will be good for the future. But right now we are taking our lumps trying to figure it out. It is a work in progress.”
    Wow.

--Yeats

A $100 bet against BYU in its opener, and letting it ride each week, would have netted you $5890 to this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    A $100 bet against BYU in its opener, and letting it ride each week, would have netted you $5890 to this point.
    How about a parlay every week with BYU against the spread and Utah to covet the spread?

A $100 2-team parlay would pay off $260. But there is one major flaw in your scenario, and that both teams have had bye weeks. Plus, BYU has an additional game under its belt in which Utah hadn't even started its season yet. Although BYU has played 7 games and Utah 6, there have been only five weeks in which you could've made a 2-team parlay involving both teams.

Assuming you were one of likely many to get Utah better than +3 against Stanford, and assuming the team you bet on is a -110 payoff in all games (once in a while, you can make a bet ATS and get even money), you could've placed five such two-team parlays. These numbers are not 100 percent accurate, but close enough for discussion's sake.

After Week 1, you'd have $260

After Week 2, you'd have $698

After Week 3, you'd have $1,845

After Week 4, you'd have $4,879

Today, you'd have $12,903

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    A $100 2-team parlay would pay off $260. But there is one major flaw in your scenario, and that both teams have had bye weeks. Plus, BYU has an additional game under its belt in which Utah hadn't even started its season yet. Although BYU has played 7 games and Utah 6, there have been only five weeks in which you could've made a 2-team parlay involving both teams.

Assuming you were one of likely many to get Utah better than +3 against Stanford, and assuming the team you bet on is a -110 payoff in all games (once in a while, you can make a bet ATS and get even money), you could've placed five such two-team parlays. These numbers are not 100 percent accurate, but close enough for discussion's sake.

After Week 1, you'd have $260

After Week 2, you'd have $698

After Week 3, you'd have $1,845

After Week 4, you'd have $4,879

Today, you'd have $12,903
    Thanks.

2. B-Why?-U (1-6)

All due respect to Tennessee, Nebraska, whatever brand-name program you want to name, no team has been a bigger blue bummer than BYU. You may not be aware of this, but the BYU fan base is one of college football's most passionate. Ask any sportswriter who has dared criticize the Cougs. But this year's team is so bad that fan base has poured that same passion into its #Bottom10Lobbying efforts. It's the same sort of passion that went into putting together BYU's 2017 schedule, a cross-country campaign designed to grab the attention of the College Football Playoff selection committee and perhaps even a Power 5 conference. Instead, it suddenly looks custom-made to win a Bottom 10 title. What in the world do I speak of? Read ahead.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ougars-slip-up

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    2. B-Why?-U (1-6)

All due respect to Tennessee, Nebraska, whatever brand-name program you want to name, no team has been a bigger blue bummer than BYU. You may not be aware of this, but the BYU fan base is one of college football's most passionate. Ask any sportswriter who has dared criticize the Cougs. But this year's team is so bad that fan base has poured that same passion into its #Bottom10Lobbying efforts. It's the same sort of passion that went into putting together BYU's 2017 schedule, a cross-country campaign designed to grab the attention of the College Football Playoff selection committee and perhaps even a Power 5 conference. Instead, it suddenly looks custom-made to win a Bottom 10 title. What in the world do I speak of? Read ahead.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ougars-slip-up
    Wow. Thing is, only one of the losses was unexpected coming into the season. BYU should lose to Utah, LSU, Wisc, BSU, and Miss St. What's surprising is just how lopsided it's all been (except, of course, for the Utah game).

This is fixable for BYU - they have to schedule down a bit further. Go for 1-2 P5 games per year like other mid-majors.

Wow.
    BYU needs a gimmicky offense. They don't have the horses and athletes to run a pro style offense. Remember, Holmoe hired Detmer, not Sitake. I'm sure that is a conflict between the two. I'm sure Sitake wants his guy. Hiring Detmer was dumb. Yet, for whatever reasons, Holmoe never gets attacked. Can you imagine Chris Hill hiring the Offensive Coordinator?

Yet, for whatever reasons, Holmoe never gets attacked.
    We were trying to list his successes a few months ago. Slim pickings.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Thing is, only one of the losses was unexpected coming into the season. BYU should lose to Utah, LSU, Wisc, BSU, and Miss St.
    While that is true, before the season started I would have expected them to pull off a win in one of those 5 games, even though they would be the dog in all of them. I thought 3-4 was reasonable, given the two expected gimme games (USU and Portland State). 1-6 is just glorious, especially considering how they've gotten there.

Holmoe never gets attacked.
    This is starting to change. Not as much as it should, but it's starting.