Page 11 of 114 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post
    I think you make a really good point. If the byu charged more tuition, it would require less money from Church HQ.
    Why was I such a jerk in my response? I don't know. Thanks for the nice response and for yet another reminder to be less of a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    In sincerity I wish all the best for today. I hope there are no injuries or strange incidents and that there is a healthy level of respect between the opposing players on the field. When Utah joined the PAC I felt that this game should no longer be played. My reasoning was that Utah and BYU respectively should see it as an opportunity for a fresh start. That the Utes should be blessed to chart their own course without the comparison baggage of their instate rival in tow. And that the break would allow BYU to chart it's own course as an independent and begin to address the issues that have hampered it's football success over the past several years.

Most importantly, though, the vitriol between the fan bases is unhealthy. At the heart of the issue is a type of self-loathing, disdain and even an irrational hate for the Mormon religion and the culture it fosters. Though, from my vantage point, the culture in question isn't so much universally Mormon as it is a type of warped American Mormonism. This is evident in equal parts among Mormon, non Mormon, active and faithful or the just-doing-something-different-for-a-little-while crowd among each fan base. For that reason it is unlike any other rivalry. For that reason I am grateful for the break, regardless of how it came about.

I'm not a prediction kinda guy so I'll just say: go BYU, beat Utah!
    So LA Ute et al is a self loathing Mormon and a self loathing Ute fan, according to SoCalPat? He cant win. He needs some professional help, apparently. I wonder where that leaves your brothers.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-21-2013 at 09:58 AM.

In sincerity I wish all the best for today. I hope there are no injuries or strange incidents and that there is a healthy level of respect between the opposing players on the field. When Utah joined the PAC I felt that this game should no longer be played. My reasoning was that Utah and BYU respectively should see it as an opportunity for a fresh start. That the Utes should be blessed to chart their own course without the comparison baggage of their instate rival in tow. And that the break would allow BYU to chart it's own course as an independent and begin to address the issues that have hampered it's football success over the past several years.

Most importantly, though, the vitriol between the fan bases is unhealthy. At the heart of the issue is a type of self-loathing, disdain and even an irrational hate for the Mormon religion and the culture it fosters. Though, from my vantage point, the culture in question isn't so much universally Mormon as it is a type of warped American Mormonism. This is evident in equal parts among Mormon, non Mormon, active and faithful or the just-doing-something-different-for-a-little-while crowd among each fan base. For that reason it is unlike any other rivalry. For that reason I am grateful for the break, regardless of how it came about.

I'm not a prediction kinda guy so I'll just say: go BYU, beat Utah!
    Not for the first time, but I have no idea what you are saying.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    So LA Ute et al is a self loathing Mormon and a self loathing Ute fan, according to SoCalPat? He cant win. He needs some professional help, apparently. I wonder where that leaves your brothers.
    I will spend the day today in deep introspection.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by concerned
    Ok, wait? Who said anything about SoCalPat?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I will spend the day today in deep introspection.
    As will I LA, as will I. But I'm sure someone will be along to tell me how stoopid I am.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Not for the first time, but I have no idea what you are saying.

]

As will I LA, as will I. But I'm sure someone will be along to tell me how stoopid I am.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

My eyes! My eyes!!

--Yeats

"It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Banned
    Did any of you tour the new Utes Football Facility with the Crimson Club today?

I was kinda surprised that they scheduled it for today, but I'm glad they did. That facility is large and nice. Walking around it got me all fired up for this game tonight. Damn Nice facility.

Ok, wait? Who said anything about SoCalPat?
    It's from another thread, or maybe buried back in this thread.

Clarification: I made zero judgments on L.A. Ute regarding his church standing.

I will not be watching the game today, although I suspect I will check in periodically on my phone.

I've been unfortunate enough to avoid almost all of this week's rivalry ugliness because of an earth-shattering tragedy within my inner circle of friends. This event happened the day before the OSU game, and I used that game as an escape from all the emptiness and guilt I had felt. I will spend tonight with my wife eating fine food and enjoying a good dueling pianos show.

More importantly, I will remember what it means to prioritize the people I love in my life and making them feel important -- something if I had done a better job of sooner, perhaps the aforementioned tragedy might have been avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I will not be watching the game today, although I suspect I will check in periodically on my phone.

I've been unfortunate enough to avoid almost all of this week's rivalry ugliness because of an earth-shattering tragedy within my inner circle of friends. This event happened the day before the OSU game, and I used that game as an escape from all the emptiness and guilt I had felt. I will spend tonight with my wife eating fine food and enjoying a good dueling pianos show.

More importantly, I will remember what it means to prioritize the people I love in my life and making them feel important -- something if I had done a better job of sooner, perhaps the aforementioned tragedy might have been avoided.
    Sorry to hear about your loss, SCP.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    It's from another thread, or maybe buried back in this thread.

Clarification: I made zero judgments on L.A. Ute regarding his church standing.
    I've got news for concerned. The self-loathing fans I refer to are not typically fans of the University of Utah. Why do you think I prefer to spend my time here and not on a BYU centric sports message board? Y'all are better company and in general mentally more stable. If I want to engage a hoard of paranoid narcissists I'll head over to the forum that gave birth to this place.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Sorry to hear about your loss, SCP.
    Thank you. I miss my friend, but I'm determined to make something good come out of this for me.

I've got news for concerned. The self-loathing fans I refer to are not typically fans of the University of Utah. Why do you think I prefer to spend my time here and not on a BYU centric sports message board? Y'all are better company and in general mentally more stable. If I want to engage a hoard of paranoid narcissists I'll head over to the forum that gave birth to this place.
    Too blue, I like having you around. You provide an alternative point of view on a host of issues. I may not agree with them but I appreciate your posts.

I guess I am in the minority in that I don't have any problem with this week. But maybe I juat haven't been around any angry Cougar fans.

Sorry for your loss, Pat. I think you did the right thing, in that sometimes we just have to take a step back and recognize what is truly important in life. God bless.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

This is not acceptable. You must live up to the preconceived caricature I have of Cougar fans.
    This sane rationality is not acceptable.

Both Utah and BYU expected to have their toughest schedule ever this year. How does that look now 1/4 of the way in?

Utah's schedule seems to be at least as tough as anticipated. CU and Wazzu are exceeding expectations, and USC is worse than predicted. It would be surprising if fewer than 3 teams on Utah's schedule finish in the top 25.

BYU's schedule might be easier than expected. Texas has struggled, Notre Dame has dodged bullets against two bad teams, and Boise State is having its worst season in a decade. Wisconsin seems like the only team sure to finish in the top 25.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    BYU's schedule might be easier than expected. Texas has struggled, Notre Dame has dodged bullets against two bad teams, and Boise State is having its worst season in a decade. Wisconsin seems like the only team sure to finish in the top 25.
    Georgia Tech is 3-0. I think they'll beat Va. Tech this week at home. If they can get past Miami and BYU on the road, their Nov. 14 game against Clemson very well could be a BCS elimination game.

BYU is good enough to finish with 8-9 wins, but I suspect they will enter the season finale against Nevada playing for their 6th win and bowl eligibility.

There is a GIGANTIC connection between attending the byu, and lifelong active membership in the LDS church. Could be correlation. Maybe a little bit of causation. Who knows? But this is an important reason for LDS leaders to keep the byu going strong.

The byu is a fine school and offers a first-rate education to its students. There are issues with Academic freedom, the Honor Code, and other things, but less so than at other religious schools, and more so than at some. It's just not a big deal to outsiders, and if it is a big deal to insiders, they should look at working at/attending a different school. The folks that run the byu do a good job with the school, even if they did spend a lot of money on an HD truck to televise their sports.

There are plenty of reasons to bang on the byu this week because of the upcoming game, but questioning its existence is over the top IMO.
    More education is pretty much always a good thing.
    BYU won't go anywhere in a long time. BYU sports...that's something entirely different. I think the brethren see the good BYU sports brings, but they also see all the bad. There is a reason why the other BYU's have dropped sports, and why there have been two talks recently about sportsmanship. The council of the 12 don't care about Utah Ute fans. They care about BYU fans. Those people represent the LDS church. When they boo hometown boys, throw things at refs, when they hate a whole fanbase over a game...those aren't good things. Those are the types of things that will make BYU sports disappear.

BYU fans are stuck between a rock and a hard place. They see Utah having all kinds of success and moving up...and they want that. BUT, they also have a glass ceiling on their recruits and are losing some of "their" kids to Utah (Hansen and Langi recently). Toss in the fact that BYU can't compete with BCS teams week in week out because they can't get enough recruits to live the HC. Then, throw in that they probably were a little too panicky with their Independence and they are losing their 10 "guaranteed" wins every year. BYU cannot have the same success they have had the last 20 years because they don't have the depth or the weak schedule to do so (same for Utah. You can't expect 10 win seasons every year. It is too hard).

So, they can accept their new reality, and realize that BYU will quickly become irrelevant because they can't recruit enough talent to beat Utah, Texas, Virginia, GT, ND, USU, and Boise ALL in the same year. You can't stay healthy against that schedule, and they have zero depth. OR, they go crawling back to the MWC.

Neither option is satisfactory in BYU fans eyes, especially if Utah can pull together a 10 win season in the next two years. Their hatred and frustration will grow, and their behavior will continue to get worse. At that point, the brethren will either 1 - shut down sports completely or 2 - drop them down to a lower division.

It won't be BYU sports that will fail. It will be their fans, and when that happens, the Church won't allow those fans to represent their church.

Ahhh...I see the Y is still resting nicely on the mountain...

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We are going to kill you this year in football. Kill you.
    We are going to kill you this year in basketball. KILL you.

But there's a bear in the woods.

Krysko.jpg

--Yeats

Good bump, Lebowski. I hope you were able to catch the Utah-BYU game at some beautiful location like Powell or Arches.

Since it is still rivalry week for us, here is one last reason why the decision not to play BYU for three years is stupid: we will be a better team over those years.

Next year we have our starting QB (Wilson), RB (Poole), 2 best WRs (Anderson & Scott), 3 starting OL (Poutasi, Jr Salt Jr, and Aiono), and Jake HOF Murphy coming back on offense. We need to replace our C and LG and we lose Denham and Fitzy (but get Scott back). That's most of the offense coming back.

On defense, we have more serious losses: most of our DLine is gone (except for Orchard) and we lose McGill and Michael Sky Walker (and maybe Blechen if he comes back). But, as we all know, Whittingham is a witch when it comes to replenishing the Dline.

I don't know as much about BYU, but nearly every player that impressed me on Saturday is gone next year: Van Noy, Manumanumanu, Hoffman, [Sorenson, Daniel], and Skye Povey (KIDDING). The only thing of value they have coming back is J. Williams and Craig Bills. Throw in the fact that Apo probably declares early for the NFL and you have a pretty decimated bunch.

I'd love to get another shot at them next year. As it is, only the freshmen on this team will ever get to play BYU again. On the bright side, that means that BYU will have to deal with our lockdown corners, our long snapper, our punter, and 2016 Pac-12 player of the Year Andy Phillips.*

* Andy is married to a former Cougarette President (pictued below). Utah football is a missionary tool!

Wrong forum. Moran.

You deserve this.

moron.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Wrong forum. Moran.

You deserve this.
    He was poking fun at himself.
    Brother Lebowski is always welcome here.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

He was poking fun at himself.
    Brother Lebowski is always welcome here.
    I know. I was just playing along.

Many apologies to The Dude if he took it otherwise.

Of course, given his aptitude to chill, I'm sure he was not adversely affected.