Page 3 of 114 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't know. Plenty of other people have done it without being at all like Bronco.
    That's true, but I think in the post-Crowton era the, uh, bar has been raised.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That's true, but I think in the post-Crowton era the, uh, bar has been raised.
    Coach Rose is a post-Crowton era coach. Reid was pre-Crowton. The "Crowton line" is imaginary.

I don't think Bronco is the way he is in response to instructions he's getting from higher ups. He either does it because that's just who he is or because he sees it as necessary for recruiting.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Coach Rose is a post-Crowton era coach. Reid was pre-Crowton. The "Crowton line" is imaginary.

I don't think Bronco is the way he is in response to instructions he's getting from higher ups. He either does it because that's just who he is or because he sees it as necessary for recruiting.
    I suspect you and I agree on this more than we disagree. I think marching orders were given, but a different coach could execute those orders more skillfully, without all the sanctimony. That part is all Bronco's ineptitude, IMO.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Banned
    In my opinion, there is far too little contempt and scorn in this thread.

Abhorrence not appeasement.... come on people, damn.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    In my opinion, there is far too little contempt and scorn in this thread.

Abhorrence not appeasement.... come on people, damn.
    Shhhh....the trap is being set.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

--Yeats

Oh my. This thread is pure comedy gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Oh my. This thread is pure comedy gold.
    SNAP! goes the trap!

--Yeats

Message Board Vagabond UteBeliever aka Port's Avatar
    I wish more of you knew how to quit them, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Portland Ute View Post
    I wish more of you knew how to quit them, too.
    I really don't understand why you say that. Are we supposed to pretend that the rival our school has had for over 100 years does not exist, or that it is not fun to make fun of that rival - especially this one? BYU fans get upset when we point out the foibles of their fans, teams and coach because they know those foibles are real and hate it when the spotlight is shined on them. That's why they resort to calling us obsessed or pathetic or "comedy gold" or whatever. We should not fall into the same kind of thinking. There's no shame in having good clean fun at a rival's expense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-26-2013 at 09:09 PM.

--Yeats

I really don't understand why you say that. Are we supposed to pretend that the rival our school has had for over 100 years does not exist, or that it is not fun to make fun of that rival - especially this one? BYU fans get upset when we point out the foibles of their fans, team and coach because they know those foibles are real and hate it when the spotlight is shined on them. That's why they resort to calling us obsessed or pathetic or "comedy gold" or whatever. We should not fall into the same kind of thinking. There's no shame in having good clean fun at a rival's expense.

Mormon Red Death's children arrived at my home this afternoon. Time for a little good natured indoctrination. First, after they watch their favourite show we will force them to watch my older boys play FIFA futbol on the PS3. At some point we will take them up north for a heavy dose of Canadiana—time at the lake, swimming, kayaking, canoeing, catching frogs, snakes and fish. They will have so much fun it won't even register that there is a Utah game this week. It's not like we could watch it any ways. And if I hear them utter MRD's favourite taunt: "BYU stinks like poo," I will forget to pick up doughnuts on my way home from work and consider making them sleep in the treehouse!
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-26-2013 at 06:37 PM.

I really don't understand why you say that. Are we supposed to pretend that the rival our school has had for over 100 years does not exist, or that it is not fun to make fun of that rival - especially this one? BYU fans get upset when we point out the foibles of their fans, team and coach because they know those foibles are real and hate it when the spotlight is shined on them. That's why they resort to calling us obsessed or pathetic or "comedy gold" or whatever. We should not fall into the same kind of thinking. There's no shame in having good clean fun at a rival's expense.

a) It hasn't been 100 years. The series dates from 1922 -- plus six games played in the 1890s that one school refuses to count, despite them being split 3-3.
    b) Just because Utah played them every year, that does not make them a rival. Until 1972, Utah consistently beat them.
    c) The earliest any actual rivalry may have started was 1972 when the series completely flipped with them beating Utah consistently.
    d) At best for them, the series became truly competitive starting in 1993. At worst, it flipped back to Utah as they have won 13 of the last 20.

For me, the series stopped being fun in 2009. I don't care if Utah never plays them again.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    a) It hasn't been 100 years. The series dates from 1922 -- plus six games played in the 1890s that one school refuses to count, despite them being split 3-3.
    b) Just because Utah played them every year, that does not make them a rival. Until 1972, Utah consistently beat them.
    c) The earliest any actual rivalry may have started was 1972 when the series completely flipped with them beating Utah consistently.
    d) At best for them, the series became truly competitive starting in 1993. At worst, it flipped back to Utah as they have won 13 of the last 20.

For me, the series stopped being fun in 2009. I don't care if Utah never plays them again.
    I won't quibble with the relevance of your dates to whether there was a rivalry, except to say that during my lifetime and that of most people now living, there has been an intense rivalry between BYU and Utah. Also, the overall rivalry encompasses more than football. My 100 year figure included basketball, which has been competitive forever.

I would not weep if we never played them again either, but we can't erase the last umpteen years, whether the figure is 100 or 40.

And that's what I have to say about that! After all, we are talking about young men playing a game. It should be fun.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-26-2013 at 08:23 PM.

--Yeats

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyCalzone1 View Post
    This is either ironic, or PU is the resident expert on "quitting"
    Or... if by "quitting" he means post on their board 18,000+ times.

It's a process... apparently.

The BYU/Utah rivalry is this:

Pre LaVell - Utah won almost 70% of the time.

LaVell - BYU won almost 100% of the time.

Post Detmer - Utah is a couple of wins away from beating BYU 70% of the time (actually, Utah has won exactly 70% of the time in Provo the last 20 years).

BYU had a nice run. It ended over 20 years ago. Since then, this series has returned to its normalcy, with Utah winning 70% of the time.

If anyone is "due" for a win, it's Utah. When they win the next three, it will bring them back to their historical win percentage of just under 70%.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    The BYU/Utah rivalry is this:

Pre LaVell - Utah won almost 70% of the time.

LaVell - BYU won almost 100% of the time.

Post Detmer - Utah is a couple of wins away from beating BYU 70% of the time (actually, Utah has won exactly 70% of the time in Provo the last 20 years).

BYU had a nice run. It ended over 20 years ago. Since then, this series has returned to its normalcy, with Utah winning 70% of the time.

If anyone is "due" for a win, it's Utah. When they win the next three, it will bring them back to their historical win percentage of just under 70%.
    We are going to kill you this year in football. Kill you.

We'll kill you worse.

--Yeats

Or... if by "quitting" he means post on their board 18,000+ times.

It's a process... apparently.
    Yeah. Go count my posts over on Cougarboard since the PAC12 announcement that come outside of the week prior and following the Utah/BYU game.

You can probably count them on all your appendages.

This is the biggest dumb**** post I have ever read. Buy a clue.
    Last edited by UteBeliever aka Port; 08-26-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Is there a broken record in here? I've been hearing that for 20 years. Other than the odd miracle win by BYU...

Good luck. Everything says the opposite is true.

Well, that's like your opinion man.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

I would not weep if we never played them again either, but we can't erase the last umpteen years, whether the figure is 100 or 40.
    It's easy if you try.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Do you have southern speed?

Banned
    Yeah. Go count my posts over on Cougarboard since the PAC12 announcement that come outside of the week prior and following the Utah/BYU game.

You can probably count them on all your appendages.

This is the biggest dumb**** post I have ever read. Buy a clue.
    Jeez PU... slightly sensitive are ya?

I simply thought it was humorous that you wished others could quit them... and then the new guy (could have been Moose for all I know) posted the screen-shot that you had 18,000+ posts on Cougarboard. That sorta indicates to me that you may have had a bigger issue than most of us have ever had.

So therefore, I'm happy for you on your recovery.

Also, if you thought that was the biggest dumbsh!t post you've ever read... You've obviously not kept current with my other posts.
    Last edited by Devildog; 08-27-2013 at 12:07 AM.

This thread should be entitled "The Official self-trolling thread of Utah Utes fans."

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    This thread should be entitled "The Official self-trolling thread of Utah Utes fans."
    How can you be so cavalier about this? A BYU fan and prominent message board proprietor just threatened to kill our football team!

--Yeats

How can you be so cavalier about this? A BYU fan and prominent message board proprietor just threatened to kill our football team!
    Lebowski is a smart dude. Didn't he go fishing last year to avoid watching the game? I'm sure his schedule will fill up quickly this year as well.

Does this mean we need to start a 2013 Utah Football Death Watch thread?

Jeez PU... slightly sensitive are ya?

I simply thought it was humorous that you wished others could quit them... and then the new guy (could have been Moose for all I know) posted the screen-shot that you had 18,000+ posts on Cougarboard. That sorta indicates to me that you may have had a bigger issue than most of us have ever had.

So therefore, I'm happy for you on your recovery.

Also, if you thought that was the biggest dumbsh!t post you've ever read... You've obviously not kept current with my other posts.
    18K posts in 12 years-ish years? 1500/year. 4 posts/day? I guess I don't think it's all that much when a large portion of those posts were in non-rivalry/non-football related topics such as religion/popular culture/soccer/etc. prior to the appearance of message boards such as this and CougarUteForum.

Regardless, I think a good portion of our fanbase needs to put this habit of making the BYU such a large topic of conversation behind it. Leave it to the times we actually play them or butt heads in recruiting or something.

BYU is so much a part of some Ute fans' minds that they've set up camp and are starting to build homes.

I admit, I was very much part of that group. I've evicted them but allow them to visit on occasion. I wish we could do that as a fanbase.

It's somewhat embarrassing that the most active thread on this board is the one about BYU.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

18K posts in 12 years-ish years? 1500/year. 4 posts/day? I guess I don't think it's all that much when a large portion of those posts were in non-rivalry/non-football related topics such as religion/popular culture/soccer/etc. prior to the appearance of message boards such as this and CougarUteForum.

Regardless, I think a good portion of our fanbase needs to put this habit of making the BYU such a large topic of conversation behind it. Leave it to the times we actually play them or butt heads in recruiting or something.

BYU is so much a part of some Ute fans' minds that they've set up camp and are starting to build homes.

I admit, I was very much part of that group. I've evicted them but allow them to visit on occasion. I wish we could do that as a fanbase.

It's somewhat embarrassing that the most active thread on this board is the one about BYU.
    Don't be embarrassed. We are just having fun with aspects of BYU that are embarrassing to BYU fans. You know this: If you go on a BYU board and poke fun at the embarrassing stuff coming out of their program (Max Hall's rant, Broncoisms, Crowton RUTS) they will attack you furiously. Tells you everything you need to know about how they feel about their own program.

EDIT: By the way, if you look at Senioritis' first post and this thread's title, its tongue-in-cheek nature is pretty clear. We need to have more fun with the rivalry. I envy USC and UCLA fans, who do have fun with their rivalry, probably because it's not laden with the religious baggage that makes so many people take the BYU-Utah rivalry so doggone seriously.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-27-2013 at 11:36 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Lebowski is a smart dude. Didn't he go fishing last year to avoid watching the game? I'm sure his schedule will fill up quickly this year as well.
    lol. And I sat on a rock on a ridge above the canyon at Lake Powell and listened to the game on my iPhone.

The fishing was fantastic, btw.