Page 42 of 114 FirstFirst ... 323839404142434445465292 ... LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,260 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

I didn't even know BYU was playing yesterday and this morning I wake up to a wonderful story on ESPN.com about how a bad Utah State team wiped the floor with them in Provo. It's too bad about Hill's injury - I hate football injuries.

Knowing nothing about BYU's backup, should't they still win 9 games? Cal on the road might be a challenge, but I still contend that Cal is not back and they are about to get pummeled for 7 straight games leading up to BYU. Why do BYU fans keep talking like UCF is some great powerhouse? They are 2-2 with wins over Bethune-Cookman and a squeaker against Houston. BYU should win that one. Nevada is probably the best team they have left and that one is at home.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Knowing nothing about BYU's backup, should't they still win 9 games? Cal on the road might be a challenge, but I still contend that Cal is not back and they are about to get pummeled for 7 straight games leading up to BYU. Why do BYU fans keep talking like UCF is some great powerhouse? They are 2-2 with wins over Bethune-Cookman and a squeaker against Houston. BYU should win that one. Nevada is probably the best team they have left and that one is at home.
    Yes, none of those teams are good, but neither is BYU. A bunch of toss up games, and odds are they lose at least some of the. Boise is usually tough on the smurf turf, too.

I can see Cal dropping 60 points on byu. Their defense is scary bad.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I can see Cal dropping 60 points on byu. Their defense is scary bad.
    Won't happen. Bronco will throw his new DC under the bus and fire him like he did with Jaime Hill, and take the reigns back himself before it gets that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I didn't even know BYU was playing yesterday and this morning I wake up to a wonderful story on ESPN.com about how a bad Utah State team wiped the floor with them in Provo. It's too bad about Hill's injury - I hate football injuries.

BYU has rarely been in a should-win mode when traveling back east. They'll be underdogs in that one without Hill.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    BYU has rarely been in a should-win mode when traveling back east. They'll be underdogs in that one without Hill.
    They'll have a short-ish week in which they have to adapt to life without their heart and would and travel across country. I know nothing of UCF but that looks like a toss up at best.

You guys clearly don't understand the sheer magnitude of the BYU roller coaster.

Within a matter of days Greg Wrubell will be talking about the great QBs that emerged when their number was called, Bronco will suggest it was the U who destroyed their motivation, not USU, and Coug fans will mount a hate mail campaign when Hans Olsen insists that a one-defeat college team will never be invited to the NFL playoffs, no matter how compelling their story.

The BYU-coaster will be climbing skyward in just a few days, pulling about 5 Gs.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    The BYU-coaster will be climbing skyward in just a few days, pulling about 5 Gs.
    It isn't so much a roller coaster as a rocket booster from ACME. In true Wile E Coyote style, they will not see the errors in their ways even after plummeting back to earth in spectacular flaming style.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It isn't so much a roller coaster as a rocket booster from ACME. In true Wile E Coyote style, they will not see the errors in their ways even after plummeting back to earth in spectacular flaming style.
    If I could find a "prolonged chuckling" smiley I'd insert it here.

coyote-06.jpg
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-05-2014 at 11:30 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If I could find a "prolonged chuckling" smiley I'd insert it here.
    I think I've made up my mind that God really does exist. He definitely smote CougarNation with His wrath over the weekend.
    Poor bastards, I really thought that this would be a special year for them. They'll be alright, but I feel bad for Hill. He's a special athlete.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

BYU will do well to win 8 games this year. Total. And MTSU will have seen tougher competition than BYU before they host the Cougars. If BYU doesn't get healthy quick, things could quickly head south for that team. Cuz UCF was horrible tonight ... And still beat BYU while leaving points on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    BYU will do well to win 8 games this year. Total. And MTSU will have seen tougher competition than BYU before they host the Cougars. If BYU doesn't get healthy quick, things could quickly head south for that team. Cuz UCF was horrible tonight ... And still beat BYU while leaving points on the field.
    Ucf was really bad tonight. Their qb was awful.

You mean as bad as Michigan was (I was there in person), or as bad as UCLA was? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    You mean as bad as Michigan was (I was there in person), or as bad as UCLA was? Just curious.
    Good thing Utah won those games. Both were against much better teams than UCF too. And one of them was done with Utah's second during QB. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    Good thing Utah won those games. Both were against much better teams than UCF too. And one of them was done with Utah's second during QB. Go figure.
    Granted, maybe UCLA. Who, of course, beat Texas with some last minute heroics from their back-up QB. Michigan isn't going to beat many teams this year though. Not really a marque win. UCF did beat Baylor last year in the Fiesta bowl. And Wazoo ...? Interesting how relative it all is.

I heard that Langi apparently played yesterday and contributed a costly facemask penalty.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Granted, maybe UCLA. Who, of course, beat Texas with some last minute heroics from their back-up QB. Michigan isn't going to beat many teams this year though. Not really a marque win. UCF did beat Baylor last year in the Fiesta bowl. And Wazoo ...? Interesting how relative it all is.
    You have some reasonable points, but you may want to drop 2013 UCF from any of your arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I heard that Langi apparently played yesterday and contributed a costly facemask penalty.
    We all know you watched the game. Denying it is like SeattleUte denying that he watched conference this past weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    You have some reasonable points, but you may want to drop 2013 UCF from any of your arguments.
    Why? We're arm-chair qb'ing here aren't we? Recent past success should never be factored into an evaluation of the present? Good to know, I guess. Utah's bowl wins are all irrelevant ... of course, so is their recent bowl drought ... check.

We all know you watched the game. Denying it is like SeattleUte denying that he watched conference this past weekend.
    I watched the last 2:00, but didn't know Harvey had played. The fact is that I just don't watch BYU football. I barely watch anything other than the Dodger and the Utes, at least in terms of complete games.

--Yeats

Why? We're arm-chair qb'ing here aren't we? Recent past success should never be factored into an evaluation of the present? Good to know, I guess. Utah's bowl wins are all irrelevant ... of course, so is their recent bowl drought ... check.
    Relax....everyone's just saying that UCF is terrible team. Byu just lost to a terrible team.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

UCLA, who was at home, undefeated, and ranked in the top 10, will certainly go to a bowl game this year.

UCF last year? Hahaha! Fresno State was pretty good last year too, so I guess when we smashed them this year it was a pretty big win?

Washington State would smash Utah State.

I'm fine with factoring in recent past success, but in this case UCF's recent past success is about as inconsequential as it can be, given the moderately significant turnover at QB (and elsewhere; their 2013 RB Storm Johnson is in the NFL, too).

UCLA, who was at home, undefeated, and ranked in the top 10, will certainly go to a bowl game this year.

UCF last year? Hahaha! Fresno State was pretty good last year too, so I guess when we smashed them this year it was a pretty big win?

Washington State would smash Utah State.
    The Washington State win was against Utah at home, therefore it was the more impressive win. The Fresno St game was a big win ... as big as Michigan and Idaho St. They are all on par.

The Washington State win was against Utah at home, therefore it was the more impressive win. The Fresno St game was a big win ... as big as Michigan and Idaho St. They are all on par.
    The Fresno State win was on par with Michigan, and so was the Idaho State win? Hmmm, I guess I can go along with that. Then we'd also have to say beating Fresno State was on par with beating Texas.

Losing to Washington State by 1 point at home is not as bad as losing to Utah State by 15 at home.

We do have that UCLA win though. That was a huge win. A P5 team, on their own home field, who will finish the season ranked in the top 25. And not to jump ahead of ourselves, but I think we'll see more big wins before the season ends.
    Last edited by utefan; 10-10-2014 at 03:03 PM.

The Fresno State win was on par with Michigan, and so was the Idaho State win? Hmmm, I guess I can go along with that. Then we'd also have to say beating Fresno State was on par with beating Texas.

Losing to Washington State by 1 point at home is not as bad as losing to Utah State by 15 at home.

We do have that UCLA win though. That was a huge win. A P5 team, on their own home field, who will finish the season ranked in the top 25. And not to jump ahead of ourselves, but I think we'll see more big wins before the season ends.
    So you say—you are certainly entitled to that opinion. Of course you all are the one's making these comparisons in a thread on a Ute message board about BYU. Good gravy, LA Ute doesn't watch BYU games and yet can find the energy to post ... Why is that?

So you say—you are certainly entitled to that opinion. Of course you all are the one's making these comparisons in a thread on a Ute message board about BYU. Good gravy, LA Ute doesn't watch BYU games and yet can find the energy to post ... Why is that?
    And you're the BYU fan on a Ute message board, so what?

We're in a bye week. Last night BYU put the final nail in their season's coffin. What else should we be talking about?

And you're the BYU fan on a Ute message board, so what?

We're in a bye week. Last night BYU put the final nail in their season's coffin. What else should we be talking about?
    From the sounds of it, though I am a BYU fan, I'm likely a better Ute fan than you and half the posters here. I go to games and watch them on TV (when they are on a channel 90% of Americans can get) and I don't get all giddy when they lose. And they have lost a lot over the past few years despite the supposed superior trajectory they are on.

It's an interesting dynamic.

From the sounds of it, though I am a BYU fan, I'm likely a better Ute fan than you and half the posters here. I go to games and watch them on TV (when they are on a channel 90% of Americans can get) and I don't get all giddy when they lose. And they have lost a lot over the past few years despite the supposed superior trajectory they are on.

I guess I can't blame you for watching Utah play. Even in a losing effort is a better quality football game than anything BYU will play for the rest of the year.

Your posts are tiresome, illogical, and ,more importantly, extremely laughable.

Shoo fly shoo.
    "This isn't a gentlemen's sport. This isn't tennis. This isn't an old-fashioned duel. This is football, it's a physical game." - Tony Bergstrom

I watch every Ute game. I don't know what made you think otherwise. And I have the Pac 12 Network. It's easy to get. Just call Comcast, tell them you want the Pac 12 Network, and bam, you have it.

Speaking of losing the last few years, yes, Utah was still good enough to beat BYU. Utah would be undefeated if they only played BYU. If only...