Page 49 of 114 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,470 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    That's epic. Please tell me you live in Utah. (I think you do, but need confirmation as to the geographic origin of this story.)
    In Utah. Truthfully he chose a terrible neighborhood to move into given his neurosis. I'd say the neighborhood in general is 95% Ute and I can see the mighty flashing U from my front porch.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Attachment 1348 Just goes to show...you think you know someone, and then....
    No man knows my political history.

I was listening to the Monty show podcast this morning.
    He mentioned that the TDS 2015 recruiting class is calling themselves "The Chosen Ones"

Not surprised, but disappointed.

ok, not really.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    He mentioned that the TDS 2015 recruiting class is calling themselves "The Chosen Ones"

ok, not really.
    You'll find this interesting too then. From Jay Drew's article about Memphis punishing 12 players for the brawl comes this gem. BYU recruiting coordinator Geoff Martzen said:

"Any time you lose a big game, especially a bowl game, it is not going to help," Martzen said. "It definitely didn't give us an extra boost going into these last few months. I think the brawl was seen in a couple different lights. Obviously it is not what the university wanted, in terms of exposure, or the [Mormon] church wanted. Some of our recruits expressed that they liked seeing the energy and the passion. But as a university, it was not what we wanted to see, and probably in the long run it isn't going to help us."

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2080809...zes-12-players

ok, not really.
    I'm disappointed. Can't they come up with something better than that? How about "The Righteous Branch," or "The Elect?"

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I'm disappointed. Can't they come up with something better than that? How about "The Righteous Branch," or "The Elect?"
    Ours can be "unrighteous dominion."

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Ours can be "unrighteous dominion."
    With "dominion" in bold or capital letters. Or maybe "Unrighteous Domination" as a little play on words.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

ok, not really.
    Chosen Ones were usually designated for sacrifice.

Just sayin'
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

You know it was just a matter of time...

Y fans (understandably) angry about being just 5-4 in the WCC, in the process being angry about being in that league to begin with - the high school gyms, miniscule crowds, etc - and the inevitable pushback from WCC fans about BYU's perceived arrogance and general superiority complex.

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/mes...ml?id=13624856

PACmas will forever be remembered as a lottery event for us, and inevitably, the measuring stick by which everything BYU does - or doesn't do - just not being comparable, a perception coming from their own fans, in the process alienating even their new "friends".

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

Just sayin'
    Chosen to be irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

Just sayin'
    Now that I think about it, this seems wrong. Bronco says recruits choose BYU, not the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

I haven't listened to this yet but I will:

http://kfanav.s3.amazonaws.com/20150...n-Buck-WEB.mp3

Jason Buck doesn't like Bronco one little bit. Ouch!

--Yeats

The Buck interview is funny in some ways. He gives all the credit for our success to the presence of former BYU players on the Utah coaching staff.. They know how to win, of course..

--Yeats

The Buck interview is funny in some ways. He gives all the credit for our success to the presence of former BYU players on the Utah coaching staff.. They know how to win, of course..

Lol, that dude is a delusional zoob in every sense of the word. It's like he blames Bronco for Utah being better than BYU.

Yeah, like it's Bronco's fault Colorado took BYU's Pac 12 invite. There's no chance BYU, as an independent, can compete with a Utah in the Pac 12.

Nice to hear him tearing Bronco apart though. Let them fire him so they can get a dose of reality with their next coach. They're ready for another Crowton.

I caught some response to Buck during my lunch break yesterday by Jake and Tony. They basically said that the Utah football program was a joke when Buck was at BYU -- and let's face it, it was. During the 70s and 80s, when the athletic department basically didn't care about football, BYU dominated the state and the WAC. Then Arnie Ferrin retired and was succeeded by Chris Hill. Hill fired Fassell and hired McBride. Mac changed the culture from offensive to defensive and brought in first Fred Whittingham and then Kyle. Mac started beating BYU with some regularity and became a victim of his own success, so that beating BYU in his final season was not enough to save his job. Enter Urban Meyer who takes Utah to the next level, making the Utes the first BCS Buster. Urban leaves for Florida, Kyle becomes the head coach and busts the BCS for a second time. The Pac extends the invite, Utah becomes a P5 program, and, after some initial struggles, goes 9-4,5-4 this past season.

Its not just that Bronco isn't LaVell, its that the sleeping giant finally awoke and BYU hasn't had its way like it used to.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I caught some response to Buck during my lunch break yesterday by Jake and Tony. They basically said that the Utah football program was a joke when Buck was at BYU -- and let's face it, it was. During the 70s and 80s, when the athletic department basically didn't care about football, BYU dominated the state and the WAC. Then Arnie Ferrin retired and was succeeded by Chris Hill. Hill fired Fassell and hired McBride. Mac changed the culture from offensive to defensive and brought in first Fred Whittingham and then Kyle. Mac started beating BYU with some regularity and became a victim of his own success, so that beating BYU in his final season was not enough to save his job. Enter Urban Meyer who takes Utah to the next level, making the Utes the first BCS Buster. Urban leaves for Florida, Kyle becomes the head coach and busts the BCS for a second time. The Pac extends the invite, Utah becomes a P5 program, and, after some initial struggles, goes 9-4,5-4 this past season.

Its not just that Bronco isn't LaVell, its that the sleeping giant finally awoke and BYU hasn't had its way like it used to.
    Well said. And they don't like it!

--Yeats

Well said. And they don't like it!

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

It is kind of interesting that of the 5 Mormons involved in the Super Bowl, none are BYU products. Times really have changed.

http://m.deseretnews.com/article/865...m.facebook.com

--Yeats

So BYU signs a 6'7" 410 pound lineman....then reveals a while later that he's never played football and doesn't even understand the rules......

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    So BYU signs a 6'7" 410 pound lineman....then reveals a while later that he's never played football and doesn't even understand the rules......
    apparently he's currently in the MTC and will be going to the Phoenix mission.

I have texted my BIL who lives in Tempe: "DO NOT sign up to feed the missionaries, and you may want to consider reinforcing any Ikea furniture. I'll explain later."

That's pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    apparently he's currently in the MTC and will be going to the Phoenix mission.

I have texted my BIL who lives in Tempe: "DO NOT sign up to feed the missionaries, and you may want to consider reinforcing any Ikea furniture. I'll explain later."

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    That's pretty funny.
    And according to Jay Drew he's LOST weight. Claims he was playing pickup basketball at a bigger weight.

I gotten a chuckle out of their fans wondering how they kept him a secret....uhh he doesn't actually play football guys.

This is the look you get if you take the last piece of cake.

Motekiai_snarl.jpg

Who knows if he'll be a bust or not, but he is a giant human. For perspective, that scrawny guy next to him in the second photo is Bronson Kaufusi.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This is the look you get if you take the last piece of cake.

Motekiai_snarl.jpg
    Langi and BYU definitely won the Internet yesterday. This guy was all over my Twitter feed, and not just from Utah media types.

You've got to think you could put him in goal-line situations as soon as he gets off his mission. You've got to wonder if he'll ever be able to do more than that.

Langi and BYU definitely won the Internet yesterday. This guy was all over my Twitter feed, and not just from Utah media types.

You've got to think you could put him in goal-line situations as soon as he gets off his mission. You've got to wonder if he'll ever be able to do more than that.
    It all depends on what his squat max is. I am guessing that he has never weight-trained in his life. Maybe weight training will turn him into a beast, maybe it will expose limitations, BYU will find out in 2 years loooonnnggg after the hype they got out of his signing. Savvy PR move by BYU, they win the internet with this guy and if he busts, no one will notice. If he booms, then it will just snowball into a great story like Ziggy Ansah, and turn into a savvy PR AND recruiting move.

I have got to hand it to BYU this recruiting cycle. They have really made a production out of it, which is great for fans. Sometimes I wish Utah did the same thing. I know that it doesn't win games, which is the best thing to do for fans, but it would still be fun. The Vine videos were better than nothing, I suppose.

He could be the next Paul Solai... or the next Aiona Key.

BYU wins a lot of Signing Days.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    He could be the next Paul Solai... or the next Aiona Key.
    He can't be the next Aiona Key because expectations were high for Key. This guy is a freebie. If he does well, it's a happy surprise for them. If not, it's not like he had people's hopes up.

It's always even-Steven. We have our problems, they have theirs. No one is ahead in the overall game. Yep.

Doug Robinson: BYU, Utah face opposite challenges in recruiting game

--Yeats

It's always even-Steven. We have our problems, they have theirs. No one is ahead in the overall game. Yep.

Doug Robinson: BYU, Utah face opposite challenges in recruiting game
    I disagree. Our recent record against The BYU-P (no BIG losses since 1996, 11-6 since then, including 4 straight) would indicate exactly where our programs are in relation to each other.

The local media takes a ling time to catch up.