Page 52 of 114 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662102 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,560 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I didn't start it, I merely counterpunched in a failing effort to help you break through the compartmentalization obscuring and defeating your rational and cognitive abilities in this area.
    From Mitt Romney smack to I'm smart and you're dumb smack. Brilliant. And the thread about a team nobody cares about or wants to play in the future goes on ... I'm sorry I never fully appreciated the existential threat Mitt Romney obviously represents to you. I'll be more sensitive of it in the future. But the pox on Utah's 2015 tournament fate is on you. Somebody's gotta play Kentucky.

Utah: at best the new Oregon State. At worst, the new Wazzu!

I see you are completely ignoring the Kai Nacua Sucker Punch and the No Decent Conference Wants You smack. I look forward to the announcement of games against Sacred Heart, Robert Morris (careful, they might beat you), and Sisters of the Holy Hand Grenade.

But that is unkind of me. Even the Oral Roberts 'University' of the West deserves fans, and I am glad that you oblige.

I see you are completely ignoring the Kai Nacua Sucker Punch and the No Decent Conference Wants You smack. I look forward to the announcement of games against Sacred Heart, Robert Morris (careful, they might beat you), and Sisters of the Holy Hand Grenade.

But that is unkind of me. Even the Oral Roberts 'University' of the West deserves fans, and I am glad that you oblige.
    That's more like it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/753531#i0,p0,d2

Utah: the new zombeavers!

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Utah: at best the new Oregon State. At worst, the new Wazzu!
    OSU and WSU are the same team. There are only 5 teams in college football:

Alabama (Michigan, ND, FSU, etc fit here)
    Oregon State (WSU, Utah, Wisconsin, South Carolina, etc fit here)
    Boise St (alone)
    San Diego State (BYU, Colorado State, Tulane, etc fit here)
    Troy (the Sun Belt goes here)

That's more like it.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/753531#i0,p0,d2

Utah: the new zombeavers!
    Our new friends are more fun than our old geographically-assigned friends from the old ward paradigm. The sooner Utah fans recognize and agree to this the better (assuming the media will allow it to happen).

I will accept that this thread title is unfortunate, but I want to keep it open because the taste of schadenfreude is umami. And we need that to balance the sweet, the bitter, the salty, and the sour.

See I don't know that BYU is really so much a 'has-been' rival as it is more of an ex-wife. We have a semi-amicable and semi-putrid relationship and our kids keep forcing us to interact at times. We both think of each other regularly, we remember the good times but can't get past the bad times, yes there is still pain. We are still going to have to attend various recitals and parent/teacher conferences together for the foreseeable future, and we are still going to think about each other a lot. But there is no going back.

BYU, the jilted lover, is going to go it alone occasionally flirting and attempting to date someone new, but finding again and again they aren't in a truly equal relationship with their beau and in most cases can be considered a slump-buster at best. Moving from denial, to rage, to resignation and back again, they'll blame Utah for their current state while also noting that they are starting to sag in critical areas. Moral victories are all they have left, so they'll cling to those wherever they can. Utah found the trophy wife with the personality, money, beauty and brains that also requires us to take off our overalls and wear slacks to parties every once in a while. Some may think we've out punted our coverage, but what good man hasn't? None of our common friends will want to declare a winner in the situation, although it is quite clear who it is.

Some of our friends will also wonder what ever happened and why we can't get back together again, but we both know why, and frankly so do they. But that isn't going to stop us from cracking jokes about our ex at every chance we get.
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 02-20-2015 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    OSU and WSU are the same team. There are only 5 teams in college football:

Alabama (Michigan, ND, FSU, etc fit here)
    Oregon State (WSU, Utah, Wisconsin, South Carolina, etc fit here)
    Boise St (alone)
    San Diego State (BYU, Colorado State, Tulane, etc fit here)
    Troy (the Sun Belt goes here)
    This is interesting. I'd put the categories like this:

The top: Ohio St, Alabama, USC, Michigan, Texas, Oklahoma, Florida St. They're just better.

The pseudo top: Florida, LSU, Penn St, Auburn, Notre Dame, Nebraska, Miami, Georgia. These teams aren't quite the top, and some have recently fallen out of the top (ND, Nebraska).

Fighting up: Oregon, UCLA, Texas A&M, Mich St, Wisconsin, TCU. These teams have the foundation to be the top (location, facilities, etc) but need history to get there. Wisconsin and Nebraska are funny teams. Due to their location, in 10 years I'd bet they would both fall to the next group (also, Oregon and Michigan St could easily fall as well):

The overcomes: these teams "could" win a national title, but their location (ie, lack of local recruits) make that less of a reality. Again, Nebraska, Wisonsin, Michigan St and Oregon are closer to this than the top. Other teams: Tenn, Missouri, South Carolina, Arkansas, Mississippi Schools, Washington, ASU, Arizona, Utah, Cal, Stanford, Colorado, Baylor, West Virginia, Ok State, Clemson, NC State.

The other P5: these teams are P5 and technically could win it all but probably won't. These are the teams that dream of bowl games and 8 win seasons: every other P5 school including Oregon State and Washington St.

The Pretenders: these guys think they can win it all, but actually have zero chance. TCU and Utah used to be here: BYU, Boise St, East Carolina.

The irrelevance: the rest of football.

What think ye?

Rocker makes a good analogy with the jilted ex-wife comparison, but it goes a few steps further.

Utah not only got rid of the old dead wood and picked up a hot new partner, but Utah also got the former partner's dream job and thirty-fold salary increase and a new group of friends, the weakest of whom is still better than the old partner on nearly any given day.

Interesting:

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/2203391...-to-be-working

Now y'all can continue to profess how much you don't want the Utes to play BYU, and still feed your fragile psyches by watching the Utes play BYU. It's like having your cake and eating it too. Basically, sports heaven.

Rocker, that was pure poetry, brother. Pretty damn funny stuff. And too true.

After one year of detoxing from playing BYU in football, I'm thinking things would be perfectly fine if we never played them again. That marriage really was the "bad old days".

Maybe an occasional series is OK, but if Hill and Holmoe can't get something worked out, I'll be more upset with Hill about not fixing leaks in the swimming pool.

The toxicity in our lives as sports fans has dropped immensely, THANK YOU AGAIN LARRY SCOTT.

I don't think I could even name all the teams in the WCC, but I do know BYU has dropped some games they thought they'd win, in the process stirring up animosity from conference mates who are pushing back against BYU's superiority complex.

The fans in both the PAC and the WCC would likely agree the BYU-Utah dysfunctional relationship was more about BYU and less about Utah. BYU scores much higher on the hate scale in their new league than Utah does in the PAC, and that's with Utah having done much better, ie, providing a reason for PAC teams to not like us, so much.

To fans all over the WCC: "I can name that tune in ONE NOTE!!!"

When you think about, it's a pretty remarkable talent to not do so well in competition, and still have people resent you even more, even more so when you lose.

Teams all over the west, in the old WAC, in the MWC, completely know what WCC fans are going through.

Interesting:

Now y'all can continue to profess how much you don't want the Utes to play BYU, and still feed your fragile psyches by watching the Utes play BYU. It's like having your cake and eating it too. Basically, sports heaven.
    Unrelated, but I swear my home teachers always ask me if they can visit when they know I'm going to be out of town. I suspect it is so they can say, "We made a good faith effort."

Interesting:

In a way it would be nice to have one more guaranteed win and one more home game on the schedule every year.

Interesting:

The word is that the first game will be in slc, the second in Vegas, the third in slc then the fourth in provo.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Oh and the fourth has a cheap buyout
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Oh and the fourth has a cheap buyout
    So in other words, it is identical the Notre Dame contract.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Rocker, that was pure poetry, brother. Pretty damn funny stuff. And too true.

After one year of detoxing from playing BYU in football, I'm thinking things would be perfectly fine if we never played them again. That marriage really was the "bad old days".

Maybe an occasional series is OK, but if Hill and Holmoe can't get something worked out, I'll be more upset with Hill about not fixing leaks in the swimming pool.

The toxicity in our lives as sports fans has dropped immensely, THANK YOU AGAIN LARRY SCOTT.

I don't think I could even name all the teams in the WCC, but I do know BYU has dropped some games they thought they'd win, in the process stirring up animosity from conference mates who are pushing back against BYU's superiority complex.

The fans in both the PAC and the WCC would likely agree the BYU-Utah dysfunctional relationship was more about BYU and less about Utah. BYU scores much higher on the hate scale in their new league than Utah does in the PAC, and that's with Utah having done much better, ie, providing a reason for PAC teams to not like us, so much.

To fans all over the WCC: "I can name that tune in ONE NOTE!!!"

When you think about, it's a pretty remarkable talent to not do so well in competition, and still have people resent you even more, even more so when you lose.

Teams all over the west, in the old WAC, in the MWC, completely know what WCC fans are going through.
    lol ... OK, wait. You don't know the names of the schools in the WCC but you somehow know BYU is stirring up animosity from conference mates? Do you write for Mother Jones, or are you UB5's Brain Williams?

Do you write for Mother Jones, or are you UB5's Brain Williams?
    Brain Williams

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424561782.663659.jpg

lol ... OK, wait. You don't know the names of the schools in the WCC but you somehow know BYU is stirring up animosity from conference mates? Do you write for Mother Jones, or are you UB5's Brain Williams?
    Them's fightin' words. You attack Ma'ake, you attack us all. Prepare yourself for battle, sir. (You might start by getting out from under that bridge.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This is like saying "if you can't name all the schools in the SEC in 20 seconds, anything you say about the SEC lacks merit". For the sake of your family - who presumably depend on your cognitive skills to put bread on the table - I hope you've got a stronger mental game at your day job.

I spend a lot more time watching what happens in the PAC than I do the WCC, but that I found in 5 minutes of casual browsing multiple angry opinions from WCC fans about BYU is notable... and easily predicted, in 2010.

As the tables have turned, and especially as Utah does well, BYU fans get quickly irritated and a sense of desperation seeps in, the sense of being left behind... an attitude that has unintended consequences.

If BYU beats any given team in the WCC (except Gonzaga and St. Marys), it's expected, the feat is not highly regarded. If they get beat by one of those other WCC teams, it's proof everything is horrible, the conference's gymnasiums are criticized, BYU's situation is undeserved, the coach might need to be replaced, etc.

BYU in the WCC is like the wife of a wall street crook who goes to prison for insider trading and she's forced to live among "the commoners". While you try to be nice, you can't help but criticize the yards in the new neighborhood, and complain that life is just unbearable having to drive a Toyota, that you really deserve a Bentley, and life is so hard without hired help.

Normally when a school loses, its fans take a lower profile and hope for better outcomes in the future. When BYU fans lose, they become more offensive, in a condescending way.

Look, nobody would expect *you* to understand this phenomenon, but if I were speaking in front of a wide cross section of fans from teams in the West, I'd be getting a lot of nods, and "yeah, no doubt!"s
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 02-21-2015 at 07:01 PM.

Only tangentially related: one of my co-workers is a Gonzaga fan. He desperately wants to see the Zags join the MWC because there are so many more good programs there. Would that make sense for Gonzaga and/or the MWC financially? It would be a pretty strong basketball conference with UNLV, Gonzaga, UNM, SDSU, Boise, USU, and CSU.

This is like saying "if you can't name all the schools in the SEC in 20 seconds, anything you say about the SEC lacks merit". For the sake of your family - who presumably depend on your cognitive skills to put bread on the table - I hope you've got a stronger mental game at your day job.

I spend a lot more time watching what happens in the PAC than I do the WCC, but that I found in 5 minutes of casual browsing multiple angry opinions from WCC fans about BYU is notable... and easily predicted, in 2010.

As the tables have turned, and especially as Utah does well, BYU fans get quickly irritated and a sense of desperation seeps in, the sense of being left behind... an attitude that has unintended consequences.

If BYU beats any given team in the WCC (except Gonzaga and St. Marys), it's expected, the feat is not highly regarded. If they get beat by one of those other WCC teams, it's proof everything is horrible, the conference's gymnasiums are criticized, BYU's situation is undeserved, the coach might need to be replaced, etc.

BYU in the WCC is like the wife of a wall street crook who goes to prison for insider trading and she's forced to live among "the commoners". While you try to be nice, you can't help but criticize the yards in the new neighborhood, and complain that life is just unbearable having to drive a Toyota, that you really deserve a Bentley, and life is so hard without hired help.

Normally when a school loses, its fans take a lower profile and hope for better outcomes in the future. When BYU fans lose, they become more offensive, in a condescending way.

Look, nobody would expect *you* to understand this phenomenon, but if I were speaking in front of a wide cross section of fans from teams in the West, I'd be getting a lot of nods, and "yeah, no doubt!"s
    Great post, and so true.

Funny thing that is completely true... Earlier this season when BYU was playing some team, I can't remember who, I happened to be flipping through the channels and noticed BYU on TV, losing at the time. So before I changed it to something else, I thought to myself, "I doubt there are very many people who aren't fans of a WCC team and know all the team nicknames in that conference."

You took it a step further and you're absolutely right. I can't even name all the schools in that conference, let alone all the nicknames.

Everyone knows UCLA is the Bruins, Washington is the Huskies, etc. Can anyone say the same about Pepperdine or the rest of the WCC?

Even the MWC has more name recognition than the WCC.
    Last edited by utefan; 02-21-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    You took it a step further and you're absolutely right. I can't even name all the schools in that conference, let alone all the nicknames.
    I bet I can do it. Gonzaga Bulldogs, St Mary's Gaels, BYU Provos, Pepperdine Wave?, San Francisco Dons, Santa Clara Mustangs, Loyola Marymount ?????, Portland Pilots?, San Diego Toreros,

Nope, I couldn't do it. I can't believe I can't remember what Loyola is? Some kind of big cat probably. And I'm certain I'll feel dumb when I look it up to see which team I am forgetting.

Even the MWC has more name recognition than the WCC.
    I should hope so, the MWC is a far better conference.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    And I'm certain I'll feel dumb when I look it up to see which team I am forgetting.
    Pacific. Duh. I would not have remembered that they are the Tigers.

I've heard that they exist, but I've never met a BYU fan who is proud of the WCC. Everyone I meet is honest and admits that BYU threw basketball under the bus in order to go indy in football.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Them's fightin' words. You attack Ma'ake, you attack us all. Prepare yourself for battle, sir. (You might start by getting out from under that bridge.)
    You don't understand the rules, only BYU fans are allowed to attack, you know, because they're so much better than us.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

I think I hit the right buttons ;-)

And to be clear, I grew up among Utah's east side "Bently" fan base. So, believe me, I know what insufferable is: it flows north from the "Country Club" along Foothill Blvd. and stops at the south end of the Einer Nelson Field House. Where the best fair-weather fans in the nation adopt other teams traditions, while pretending their football program hasn't peaked ... and who believe getting into the PAC is something more than renting a condo in Newport beach. The reality is you're just fodder, there to pay other peoples mortgages.
    Last edited by tooblue; 02-21-2015 at 09:26 PM.

Your problem with the Country Club crowd is your own fault for choosing to attend Highland. You always make the wrong choices in schools. Too bad you weren't as enlightened as the rest of the family (including in-laws) and instead chose Olympus.

Sancho, it is the Loyola Marymount Gatherses, after Hank Gathers, the greatest player in the past, present, and future of the West Coast Church Conference. (Actually it is the Lions). FWIW, try to watch the game between Loyola Marymount and Louisiana State from ~1990. Awesome game. Hank Gathers and Bo Kimble vs Shaquille O'Neal and Chris Jackson (Mahmoud Abdul Raouf). One of the all-time greatest games in NCAA history.

I think I hit the right buttons ;-)

And to be clear, I grew up among Utah's east side "Bently" fan base. So, believe me, I know what insufferable is: it flows north from the "Country Club" along Foothill Blvd. and stops at the south end of the Einer Nelson Field House. Where the best fair-weather fans in the nation adopt other teams traditions, while pretending their football program hasn't peaked ... and who believe getting into the PAC is something more than renting a condo in Newport beach. The reality is you're just fodder, there to pay other peoples mortgages.
    Aw, shucks. Here we Utes are, one of only five schools with teams ranked in both football and basketball; challenging for the PAC-12 basketball title and a Final Four dark horse; a glossy 9-3 footbsll record with wins over USC, UCLA and Stanford; and you're ruining all that by reminding us that we're mere fodder. Curse you!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

does the WCC even realize they are that great and abominable whore conference that fills the entire earth

Last edited by Scorcho; 02-21-2015 at 10:04 PM.

While pretending their football program hasn't peaked ... and who believe getting into the PAC is something more than renting a condo in Newport beach. The reality is you're just fodder, there to pay other peoples mortgages.
    BwahahahahahahahahahahahHahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahaha!

I love these lines, coming from a school that has been in steady decline the last 20 years, and who is basically everyone's body bag game, willing to travel anywhere on any day because "you are partners with ESPN."

Classic.

Enjoy.

Here's BYU's P5 as an Indy:

@Ole Miss
    @Texas
    Utah
    @Oregon St
    @TCU
    Wash St
    @Utah
    Oregon State
    @ND
    @GT
    @Virginia
    Texas
    GT
    @Wisc
    @ND
    @UConn
    @Texas
    Virginia
    @Cal
    @Neb
    @UCLA
    @Michigan
    @Missouri

17 away games. 6 home games. *snicker* That schedule screams...Wyoming. He he.

"Program has peaked" and your "paying other people's mortgages". Classic. May be your best line yet. This will keep me laughing all through the winter. Might even carry me to the fall, when you've convinced yourself that you can 1- to undefeated (yeah, right), and 2- make the playoff in a system that guarantees you have no shot at the playoff. Priceless.

*que the "next year we will ___________ better than Utah. Next year..."*

Ha ha.

Your problem with the Country Club crowd is your own fault for choosing to attend Highland. You always make the wrong choices in schools. Too bad you weren't as enlightened as the rest of the family (including in-laws) and instead chose Olympus.
    Eh tu, Brute?!