Page 57 of 114 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

I told you I wasn't going to click on this thread anymore and then you pull me right back in. This is the last time.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I told you I wasn't going to click on this thread anymore and then you pull me right back in. This is the last time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I will enjoy this thread forever.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/byu...%3A1%3ADefault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

That story seems to be a violation of Poe's Law. It is too lifelike. And I wouldn't put it past that fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikibot
    Poe's law, named after its author Nathan Poe, is a literary adage which stipulates that without a clear indicator of an author's intended sarcasm it becomes impossible to tell the difference between an expression of sincere extremism and a parody of extremism.

P.S. Bravo on the home cooking, Tom Holmoe. Being on the NCAA Selection Committee certainly paid off this year.

P.P.S. that link was humorous. The Onion skewers byu and Mormons far more than one would expect.
    Some of the stuff they posted during the Romney campaign was brutal.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 03-16-2015 at 12:11 AM.

The curse of Jeff Lebowski strikes again. What a dickhead move.

That's the first I've watched of the Mighty Cougs since the Utes beat them. What a remarkable layup drill. The inevitable outcome of Jimmermania.

I will say that the game was a joy to watch, and not just for the outcome. It was like watching real life NBA Jam.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    The inevitable outcome of Jimmermania.
    Remember when Mike Leach started at Texas Tech, and some QB put up amazing numbers? Everyone was drooling all over this guy, putting him on Heisman watch lists. Then he left and did nothing in the NFL while his replacement at TTech put more insane numbers. Pretty soon, everyone just accepted that Leach QBs would get crazy numbers but wouldn't actually be anything special.

Is that what is happening at BYU? Tyler Haws passed Jimmer up in scoring. Next year, surely someone on that team will average 20 ppg. Are these guys just system QBs?

This is me watching that epic second half. http://youtu.be/fyEThSM4JnI

The curse of Jeff Lebowski strikes again. What a dickhead move.

That's the first I've watched of the Mighty Cougs since the Utes beat them. What a remarkable layup drill. The inevitable outcome of Jimmermania.
    What did Geoffrey do?

I was busy and just caught the last 1:30 of it. Looks like it would have been a fun game.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    What did Geoffrey do?
    I believe he's referring to the name change and the attempted exorcism of all Utes.

Even with Ole Miss shooting 60 percent in the second half, they still only shot 45 percent for the game and were outshot by BYU, both from 2 and especially from 3.

Where BYU lost this game should sound familiar -- Ole Miss had 16 offensive rebounds to BYU's 6 (outscored BYU 16-4 on second chance points). Coupled with a 15-7 edge in turnovers (25-0 Ole Miss edge here), Ole Miss put up 22 more shots than BYU. The idea that a sieve-like defense lost BYU this game is how you identify not-so-smart basketball fans. What lost BYU the game was that it didn't value possession and that Collinsworth had to have had one of his five worst games of the year (1-7 FG, 5 turnovers, only 26 minutes played)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I believe he's referring to the name change and the attempted exorcism of all Utes.
    Yeah, nothing new, just being small and petty and clinging to old grievances.

In that respect, Lebowski is like the BYU Message Board Nate Cooper. A pretty good comparison, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Even with Ole Miss shooting 60 percent in the second half, they still only shot 45 percent for the game and were outshot by BYU, both from 2 and especially from 3.

Where BYU lost this game should sound familiar -- Ole Miss had 16 offensive rebounds to BYU's 6 (outscored BYU 16-4 on second chance points). Coupled with a 15-7 edge in turnovers (25-0 Ole Miss edge here), Ole Miss put up 22 more shots than BYU. The idea that a sieve-like defense lost BYU this game is how you identify not-so-smart basketball fans. What lost BYU the game was that it didn't value possession and that Collinsworth had to have had one of his five worst games of the year (1-7 FG, 5 turnovers, only 26 minutes played)
    BYU gave up 50 points in a little over 14 minutes. At that rate, they'd give up 142 points in a 40 minute game. Regardless of whether that's due to piss poor rebouding (check), ridiculous shot selection (check), coughing it up like Doc Holliday (check), or whatever else, BYU's sieve-like defense was a major part of the loss. They gave up 50 points in 14 minutes. That's got something to do with defense.

BYU gave up 50 points in a little over 14 minutes. At that rate, they'd give up 142 points in a 40 minute game. Regardless of whether that's due to piss poor rebouding (check), ridiculous shot selection (check), coughing it up like Doc Holliday (check), or whatever else, BYU's sieve-like defense was a major part of the loss. They gave up 50 points in 14 minutes. That's got something to do with defense.
    We're talking about 2-3 fewer turnovers and 1-2 more offensive rebounds and BYU likely wins. And Ole Miss wasn't afraid to run with BYU. I saw a dozen shots over the timeframe you mentioned that you'd never see a lot of teams take (Utah included) -- mostly perimeter shots early in the shot clock. People are acting if BYU was Loyola Marymount reincarnated last night. Not even close.

We're talking about 2-3 fewer turnovers and 1-2 more offensive rebounds and BYU likely wins. And Ole Miss wasn't afraid to run with BYU. I saw a dozen shots over the timeframe you mentioned that you'd never see a lot of teams take (Utah included) -- mostly perimeter shots early in the shot clock. People are acting if BYU was Loyola Marymount reincarnated last night. Not even close.
    I'm not sure what you mean here, but I'm glad BYU missed the dance. BYU was given a gift of a draw - a play-in vs a bad team and then a game against one of the most overseeded teams in the field. Even on one of their better nights, they weren't good enough.

That BYU game was like our WSU game last year. You have a good OL, you have Booker, run the damn clock out!

Indeed. Last time I checked, getting rebounds while on defense was part of defense.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Indeed. Last time I checked, getting rebounds while on defense was part of defense.
    You obviously are a not-so-smart basketball fan. SoCal played (sort of) with Christian Laettner (on the same court). Why must you hate Christian Laettner so badly? Christian Laettner!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    You obviously are a not-so-smart basketball fan. SoCal played (sort of) with Christian Laettner (on the same court). Why must you hate Christian Laettner so badly? Christian Laettner!
    I think Pat was saying it wasn't a lack of defense, which is the typical BYU-hater mantra when criticizing their team. From the little I saw of the second half, turnovers were a big part of the problem too. It seemed for a while that BYU forgot what color jerseys they were wearing, because they kept throwing the ball got he other team. Turnovers happen while on offense, which is why defense only can't be blamed.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I think Pat was saying it wasn't a lack of defense, which is the typical BYU-hater mantra when criticizing their team. From the little I saw of the second half, turnovers were a big part of the problem too. It seemed for a while that BYU forgot what color jerseys they were wearing, because they kept throwing the ball got he other team. Turnovers happen while on offense, which is why defense only can't be blamed.
    Yep. BYU had one brief stretch in which it was outscored 7-0 by Ole Miss as a result of three straight turnovers. Defense played a very small role in that run. It's no different than football where turnovers in bad spots on the field can result in a boatload of points, but also situations in which you're compromising your defense so badly, nothing can save it.

The primary objective on defense is to get your opponents to work hard for shots and to miss more than they make. BYU did enough of that to win the game. Notice, I'm not saying they were on par with Jordan's Bulls when they got Ole Miss to shoot 30 percent in the first half. Their defense was probably not as good in the first half as the numbers suggest, but it wasn't as bad in the second half as many are saying. The collective vision of college basketball fans has been dumbed down by seeing games end 38-36 (Sun Belt final) and 45-41 (MWC final) that when they see a game like last night's, they conclude that no to little defense was being played.

It was a joke.

Also, LMU rebounded like crazy. Hank Gathers scored like crazy (and said that anybody could score like that if it was their only focus), but he was really proud of his rebounding prowess. He had 29 rebounds in one of the games just before he died, and had >20 rebounds in at least 5 games in his career. He had nearly 11 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 block per game to go along with his 29 point average.

Granted, most of this was against WCC teams and teams like U.S. International, so...

The second half of the game last night proved that playing out of control Ward Ball-style won't work against an athletic team that can also run.

It was a joke.

Also, LMU rebounded like crazy. Hank Gathers scored like crazy (and said that anybody could score like that if it was their only focus), but he was really proud of his rebounding prowess. He had 29 rebounds in one of the games just before he died, and had >20 rebounds in at least 5 games in his career. He had nearly 11 rebounds, 2 assists, and 1 block per game to go along with his 29 point average.

Granted, most of this was against WCC teams and teams like U.S. International, so...
    Don't worry, I got the joke. My response was more to the board at large.

Don't worry, I got the joke. My response was more to the board at large.
    I know you would. I was tweaking LA more than anything else.

The box score tells a tale.

BYU averaged almost 8 steals a game this year. They got 0 in this game.

They were only 3 turnovers above their season average (although that doesn't account for the circumstances around the turnover)

Rebounding obviously was their biggest issue on the night. Ole Miss had 44 missed field goals and got 16 offensive boards.

I know you would. I was tweaking LA more than anything else.
    Fortunately for you I am not a vengeful person. So when I do exact my revenge, it will be very sportsmanlike and not unbearably painful for you.

Fact is, I did not see the BYU-Ole Miss game, only the last 5:00 or so (after I heard Ole MIss was making a game of it), and yes, I did assume that BYU's defense was poor -- a season-long problem and always a hallmerk of Dave Rose teams -- and was the cause of the 62-point second half for its opponents. Sounds like it was more complicated than that. So I am not in any position to argue much. I still think that in order to be considered playing defense, the team on defense needs to box out the offensive team, and in the 5:00 I watched the Cougs were not doing much of that.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Fortunately for you I am not a vengeful person. So when I do exact my revenge, it will be very sportsmanlike and not unbearably painful for you.

Fact is, I did not see the BYU-Ole Miss game, only the last 5:00 or so (after I heard Ole MIss was making a game of it), and yes, I did assume that BYU's defense was poor -- a season-long problem and always a hallmerk of Dave Rose teams -- and was the cause of the 62-point second half for its opponents. Sounds like it was more complicated than that. So I am not in any position to argue much. I still think that in order to be considered playing defense, the team on defense needs to box out the offensive team, and in the 5:00 I watched the Cougs were not doing much of that.
    I watched the whole second half. Their defense was atrocious, to put it mildly. You don't give up 50 points in 14 minutes without other factors, but their defense was totally sucky in every respect. Couldn't guard the perimeter, couldn't guard the post, couldn't create turnovers, couldn't stay in front of anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by utefan View Post
    They're not a P5 team, so the playoff committee won't give us any credit for beating them. And it doesn't matter if the ACC or even the Pac 12 says they're a P5 team. Until the SEC says they are, then the playoff committee will continue to treat them as a G5 team.
    Our P5 scheduling woes are now over. SEC to recognize games against all independents (Army, ND, BYU) as satisfying the P5 requirement for the league. With as many games BYU has against the Pac-12, I strongly suspect the Pac-12 will follow suit and grant BYU P5 honors for purposes of non-conference scheduling. With nine league games, it would allow the Pac-12 to remain a step ahead of the SEC in terms of SOS considerations by the CFP selection committee.

Our P5 scheduling woes are now over. SEC to recognize games against all independents (Army, ND, BYU) as satisfying the P5 requirement for the league. With as many games BYU has against the Pac-12, I strongly suspect the Pac-12 will follow suit and grant BYU P5 honors for purposes of non-conference scheduling. With nine league games, it would allow the Pac-12 to remain a step ahead of the SEC in terms of SOS considerations by the CFP selection committee.
    So, basically the SEC is continuing to do what I've been saying Utah should do all along:

Schedule down.

Dumb up the OOC.

Schedule only home games OOC.

Guarantee 7 home games every year.

This isn't good news for BYU. All it means is more road games and one and done. It isn't good news for the rivalry, because if BYU will take more and more one and dones, why should Utah schedule a home and home, when we could get a 2 for 1 with a MWC team? Utah would be smart to take the 2 for 1.