Page 8 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Creepy

causing an unpleasant feeling of fear or unease.
    "the creepy feelings one often gets in a strange house"
    synonyms: frightening, eerie, disturbing, sinister, weird, hair-raising, menacing, threatening, eldritch; Moreinformalspooky, scary, freaky
    "the old apple trees look creepy"
    "All your commitments are belong to us." -- Bronco

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm just playing with you both. I love to hate BYU just as much as the rest, but Utah fans can be funny - isn't the BYU thread one of the longest ones on this board?

Toolblue is great. I love having BYU fans around (that's why I liked CUF so much). My favorite argument of his is that Utah fans don't know football and are just bandwagoners. That one kills me, coming from a BYU fan. Just really good stuff in there.
    To be fair, several posters in this thread went off on a tangent about Stanford.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Guys, guys, this is a snipe hunt. You are arguing about cable subscriptions with a guy who believes that BYU fans are knowledgeable about the game of football; if you've ever been to Lavell's House, you know that the flirting to game-watching ratio is off the charts.

Toolblue is a national treasure, but I think our time is better spent compiling a list of famous Weber State alumni.
    Great trolling seems to involve recycling old smack. In this case it dates back to 2011.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Great trolling seems to involve recycling old smack. In this case it dates back to 2011.
    Eccentric uncles who live in the attic often forget what they've talked about in prior visits.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

To be fair, several posters in this thread went off on a tangent about Stanford.
    Perfect, I hate Stanford too.

Referencing topics that got some play circa 2011 seems a whole lot better than still living in 2009
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-06-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Perfect, I hate Stanford too.
    I am soooooo over Stanford. I don't get why recruits make such a big deal over Stanford's academics. Graduating with a degree in sociology form Stanford is still graduating with a crappy degree. A little reality here, please.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Referencing topics that got some play circa 2011 seems a whole lot better than still living in 2009
    You're getting very choose to....

jump_the_shark1.jpg

--Yeats

An argument that would have some validity if there were in inordinate amount of Sugar Bowl references here daily. As there have not been, it has no validity.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I am soooooo over Stanford. I don't get why recruits make such a big deal over Stanford's academics. Graduating with a degree in sociology form Stanford is still graduating with a crappy degree. A little reality here, please.
    I love Stanford. I always enjoyed spending time on campus when I was assigned to Palo Alto on my mission. I could lose track of time in the Rodin sculpture garden.

I love Stanford. I always enjoyed spending time on campus when I was assigned to Palo Alto on my mission. I could lose track of time in the Rodin sculpture garden.
    Since they brainwashed you as a missionary, you are allowed to like them. But the fact that there is a Rodin sculpture garden is enough reason to dislike them.

Since they brainwashed you as a missionary, you are allowed to like them. But the fact that there is a Rodin sculpture garden is enough reason to dislike them.
    You have something against Rodin?

You have something against Rodin?
    If there's anything I hate as much as BYU and Stanford, it's Rodin.

An argument that would have some validity if there were in inordinate amount of Sugar Bowl references here daily. As there have not been, it has no validity.
    Firstly, if I remember correctly the rivalry died for you in 2009. Maybe I am mistaken? Secondly, having been there with regards to my own BYU fandom, in retrospect, I recognize how hard it is to step back and recognize the moment when the program and team you cheer for week in and week out may have plateaued or peaked during a specific era. As a reasonably objective observer who has watched the Utes his entire life and with a part of him that still cheers for the Utes every other week that they don't play BYU, it's reasonable for me to assert that many here on this board, my siblings included, are still living in 2009. Not only is my argument valid but it is astute.

As an aside, I love Rodin.
    Last edited by tooblue; 09-07-2013 at 08:39 AM.

Firstly, if I remember correctly the rivalry died for you in 2009. Maybe I am mistaken? Secondly, having been there with regards to my own BYU fandom, in retrospect, I recognize how hard it is to step back and recognize the moment when the program and team you cheer for week in and week out may have plateaued or peaked during a specific era. As a reasonably objective observer who has watched the Utes his entire life and with a part of him that still cheers for the Utes every other week that they don't play BYU, it's reasonable for me to assert that many here on this board, my siblings included, are still living in 2009. Not only is my argument valid but it is astute.

Still living in 2009? Um. Please show me where posters on this board are proclaiming BCS Bowls and natties (as your people would say). Please do.

Unlike your fanbase. Wrubell was still saying BYU could go to a BCS bowl after last week's loss. That right there, that the voice of your team is so stupid as to proclaim BYU was on the same level as N Ill, that they would qualify for a BCS bowl with one loss, shows how stupid your fanbase/program is.

If there's anything I hate as much as BYU and Stanford, it's Rodin.
    I have no response to that.

Reasonably objective? Ha! That's freaking hilarious.

As for 2009, I merely stated that this was when the rivalry stopped being fun. Too many people were taking something so inherently meaningless in the grand scheme of things far too seriously. So I moved on. This can hardly be said to be living in 2009. So, nice try, but, it was neither valid nor astute.

I'm not even gonna lie.

BYU looked damn good tonight.

Yep, and now they have two weeks to prepare for us while we have a test next week with Oregon State.

Ill be honest, Out of the two, I want the win against Oregon St. more.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Yep, and now they have two weeks to prepare for us while we have a test next week with Oregon State.

Ill be honest, Out of the two, I want the win against Oregon St. more.
    I think the bye may hurt them. If I was them, i would want to try to figure out how to keep this momentum going
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I think the bye may hurt them. If I was them, i would want to try to figure out how to keep this momentum going
    My thinking as well. Get some rust on. Now we have some film to study. They have little passing game. The running they did on Texas tonight was impressive but I cannot see it being a routine game. Tonight was a special night for byu. Not a usual night.

Lets take care or OSU and then get going on the cougs. While we do, they can practice against each other.

Their defense is impressive. Our OLine better be ready to be pressured and tested.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
    My thinking as well. Get some rust on. Now we have some film to study. They have little passing game. The running they did on Texas tonight was impressive but I cannot see it being a routine game. Tonight was a special night for byu. Not a usual night.

Lets take care or OSU and then get going on the cougs. While we do, they can practice against each other.

Their defense is impressive. Our OLine better be ready to be pressured and tested.
    We actually need the OSU game in order to get better.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-08-2013 at 12:57 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
    I'm not even gonna lie.

BYU looked damn good tonight.
    Texas was thrown off their game by the rain delay.

Apparently, our own Mighty Alaskan Ute was the huge call of the day on the Jim Rome Show. Topic: Ripping Bronco Mendenhall to shreds.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Apparently, our own Mighty Alaskan Ute was the huge call of the day on the Jim Rome Show. Topic: Ripping Bronco Mendenhall to shreds.
    Is there a podcast? Rome is not available in Los Angeles, oddly enough.

"It's men in shorts."

-- Rick Majerus

--Yeats

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I heard that live today. It was funny. Rome played it again to close the show.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Is there a podcast? Rome is not available in Los Angeles, oddly enough.
    Podcast can be found here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...51773540,d.aWc

I'm guessing it is the call in hour three at 27:20 from Jake. Best take was that Tim Tebow cries about Taysom Hills completion percentage.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-11-2013 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Podcast can be found here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...51773540,d.aWc

I'm guessing it is the call in hour three at 27:20 from Jake. Best take was that Tim Tebow cries about Taysom Hills completion percentage.
    Thanks for link! Awesome interview. 9:30 a brief segment and last 10 or 15 mins are all good stuff! Zoob arguments were predictable Heisman and national championship. We got some good comments in through. Was surprised that nobody mentioned #1 drafts in football and basketball. More players in NFL, or that thanks to loss to Virginia TDS will NEVER get a BCS appearance.

I just checked in and saw that the two most active threads are about BYU and Mitt Romney. This place really is just becoming LAU's blog.

Quote Originally Posted by yohio View Post
    I just checked in and saw that the two most active threads are about BYU and Mitt Romney. This place really is just becoming LAU's blog.
    kissy-kissy-smiley.gif

--Yeats