Page 8 of 53 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Todd Christensen passed away today. I know some of my Utes brethren weren't too happy with some of his work on The Mtn., but he got a pass from me because he did color for NBC for the Greatest Comeback in NFL history. He also was ahead of the curve in predicting our fortunes for 2008.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...56343320,d.cGE
    By all accounts he was a good man who lived a big, good life. RIP.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Todd Christensen passed away today. I know some of my Utes brethren weren't too happy with some of his work on The Mtn., but he got a pass from me because he did color for NBC for the Greatest Comeback in NFL history. He also was ahead of the curve in predicting our fortunes for 2008.
    RIP Todd. He was a very good man, with a big heart. I saw him on TV a few years ago and it was apparent he was having some health issues.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    RIP Todd. He was a very good man, with a big heart. I saw him on TV a few years ago and it was apparent he was having some health issues.
    I think he was waiting for a getting a liver transplant. The radio report was that he was actually on the operating table getting the transplant when he died. Maybe he just ran out of time.

A good reminder to all of us: Be an organ donor.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think he was waiting for a getting a liver transplant. The radio report was that he was actually on the operating table getting the transplant when he died. Maybe he just ran out of time.

A good reminder to all of us: Be an organ donor.
    Deseret News reported he died shortly after the transplant

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Yeah, I regret those posts. I would never speak that way in person.
    We're all about redemption and second chances here. I think I'm on my 5th or 6th second chance myself. Don't tell anyone though. Math is not their strong suit.
    Last edited by U-Ute; 11-14-2013 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    We're all about redemption and second chances here. I think I'm on my 5th or 6th second chance myself. Don't tell anyone though. Math is not their strong suit.
    Sorry, but I'm going to have to report this. !@?##!! sneaky engineers.

--Yeats

Thanks to Senioritis, my first thought when seeing this news item on KSL was of Nate Cooper. Kind of like your mind would immediately go to Craig James if you heard that 5 hookers had been killed.

Ghonorrhea cases on the rise

The thing that ripped cougaruteforum apart was the Utes getting into the Pac 12. The Pac 12 invited Utah and the next day we wake up and our friends hate us. They are throwing stones at us, breaking our windows and setting our homes on fire. We had to flee to this promised land. For BYU fans at least, this rivalry runs deeper than religion. Take it from me, because they never hated me for my unbelief. And we Ute fans didn't even do anything. We didn't put Utah in the Pac 12 or in any way cause it. I'm glad Chris Hill and Whit and others are trying to kill the rivalry, because it's ugly. I say kill it.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The thing that ripped cougaruteforum apart was the Utes getting into the Pac 12. The Pac 12 invited Utah and the next day we wake up and our friends hate us. They are throwing stones at us, breaking our windows and setting our homes on fire. We had to flee to this promised land. For BYU fans at least, this rivalry runs deeper than religion. Take it from me, because they never hated me for my unbelief. And we Ute fans didn't even do anything. We didn't put Utah in the Pac 12 or in any way cause it. I'm glad Chris Hill and Whit and others are trying to kill the rivalry, because it's ugly. I say kill it.
    It was poor form to build a community around the concept of cohabitation and then abruptly change the name and then de facto invite your cohabitants to leave. I wasn't a part of CG and what little I've seen of Waters makes me both respect his blogging ability as well as think he is likely a total basket case in real life (whereas most of us play basket cases online but are real life normal people), so I'm not sure I blame them for ditching CG.

JL and others certainly can't believe their identities are unknown (just as most of us here...it would take even the most casual observer all of a Google search to discover my name, yours, etc) so perhaps they felt some zoobie/bubble peer pressure to cast out the non-zoob, non-bubble inhabitants. I have no idea.

It is a helluva lot more interesting to peruse for random news than CB and I have to believe JL is a really first class guy in real life but it was certainly kind of impish.

I go back and forth about the rivalry. I'd mainly like to stop it because I am tired of losing to Utah and to Whit.

As an aside, there is one guy there who has become a cherished member who is clearly a dupe account playing nice. I think it is Robin's last ditch attempt to be allowed into the uber dork club, or whatever they call the secret post section of the forum. Who knows, maybe he's already succeeded?
    Last edited by Viking; 11-15-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Not Roger Waters?
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Hey look at that ... I am able to watch the Utes on tv this week. So, I am watching two back-up QB's play, BYU has already pulled Hill and taken the foot off the gas pedal before the end of the first half and it appears Utah has no choice but to play the former walk-on.

Oh, and who designed Utah's uniforms ... Lululemon?

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Hey look at that ... I am able to watch the Utes on tv this week. So, I am watching two back-up QB's play, BYU has already pulled Hill and taken the foot off the gas pedal before the end of the first half and it appears Utah has no choice but to play the former walk-on.

Poor timing. Maybe you could wait a day or two, and also perhaps try another hobby horse besides TV broadcast availability? This is more reminiscent of cougjunkie than tooblue.

--Yeats

Get the eff out.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Just saw this post by tooblue. You can call us drunks or any other insult you like, but the moment you wanna say something about our unis..... well do like hostile says and GTFO!

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    Get the eff out.

Only a zoob could find superiority in seeing byu beat up one of the worst teams in the country (my high school team, the mighty Jesuit Rangers, could beat ISU) while a PAC12 member Utah loses to one of the best teams in the country.

Don't embarrass us.

This entire thread should be one word: scoreboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Only a zoob could find superiority in seeing byu beat up one of the worst teams in the country (my high school team, the mighty Jesuit Rangers, could beat ISU) while a PAC12 member Utah loses to one of the best teams in the country.

Don't embarrass us.
    My comment was merely an observation and more of a lament than anything else. One that BYU was playing a stink pit of a game against Idaho State and two that Utah is the new old Utah. What's more, I'm neither zoob or zoot. I am a huge college football fan first, and though my allegiances are with BYU I watch Utah as much as I can, which isn't often despite the fact they play in the vaunted PAC12. I grew up at RES. It's hard to break a bad habit. I was sending my brother text updates of the game as he was elsewhere watching another family member play D1 basketball in person.

And seriously Viking, drop the butt kissing schtick. Just be yourself. This is a different group. Not as much self-loathing going on here.
    Last edited by tooblue; 11-17-2013 at 03:34 PM.

I thought you couldn't get Fox sports 1?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I thought you couldn't get Fox sports 1?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    I upgraded my programming package. My desire to watch games won out.

I hate our all white look in football. It's like we're the groom in a cheesy 70's wedding

All the matters with uniforms is that Utah does what the players want and what has the potential to bring in recruits. It isn't about what fans think of the uniforms.

Oregon shouldn't be a criticism, they should be held up as an example of the right thing to do for their players and recruits.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    All the matters with uniforms is that Utah does what the players want and what has the potential to bring in recruits. It isn't about what fans think of the uniforms.

Oregon shouldn't be a criticism, they should be held up as an example of the right thing to do for their players and recruits.
    The criticism isn't what Oregon is doing with uniforms, but the degree to which they are doing it.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Harrumph!

--Yeats

I'm not familiar with the nuances of recruiting, but are uniform options really a tipping point for a potential recruit? I don't doubt the kids like them, but I always feel like this is a line fed to us to get us to buy more merchandise.

And in that case I think they are forgetting the important 'Rocker Ute' segment. You know, the one that doesn't really give a sh**.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    See this is where we see things differently. Supposing both teams have banner years, I don't see a way, unless one of them wins the NC that the season doesn't end on a note of comparison between them. Assume Utah (in our wildest dreams) finishes 9-3 and BYU 11-1, cougs will claime superior record, Utes will claim superior SOS and the debate will rage as to which team is best in state. Take that to the bank. In fact, the only scenario for avoiding this conflict is for BYU to suck and Utah to shine, because if BYU sucks against a "lesser" schedule, the logical hoops to jump through to claim superiority over a good P12 Utah team become nigh-impossible.

Utah and BYU, both sons of Brigham Young, are entrenched in a vigorous sibling rivalry. sibling rivalry is never truly subverted no matter what state of inner rivalry nirvana the siblings think they have achieved. For evidence of this, see practically every one-on-one basketball game played by adult brothers. The fact that each institution is so different with respect to mission, culture, areas of academic emphasis, only distances the siblings enough regarding empathy for one another to allow for true loathing to exist. By the way, the institutions are separated by a mere 40 miles and compete for the adulation of the locals constantly, and in every way. Even if you live outside the epicenter of this conflict, you are subject to it when you interact with family in Utah or when you monitor the performance of your alma mater. This conflict catches easier than influenza.
    Wally is exactly right. Think of how insufferable byu fans are this year claiming they are a superior team, despite the noteworthy fact that we beat them handily (in their stadium). Can you imagine what will happen when it is just a what-if discussion? No thanks, let's just beat them every year so I don't have to hear any more about masseyratings.com.

You know I think there may be a really different view of this rivalry depending on your religious leanings.

While they're our rival, and I never like to see them do well, not playing them is fine with me. Because I don't have that built in church connection where it will constantly be brought up even if we don't play.

I have co workers who are BYU fans...we rarely even discuss it except during game weeks. Once that week is over, it's over. Seems that isn't the case with many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    You know I think there may be a really different view of this rivalry depending on your religious leanings.

While they're our rival, and I never like to see them do well, not playing them is fine with me. Because I don't have that built in church connection where it will constantly be brought up even if we don't play.

I have co workers who are BYU fans...we rarely even discuss it except during game weeks. Once that week is over, it's over. Seems that isn't the case with many others.
    You could be right, because if you are a non-lds ute fan, byu fan will pull back on smack talk significantly in hopes of baptizing you. Then when you are baptized, they will lay into you with the rivalry junk. It is all part of what the lds call "correlation."

I don't understand why we are still talking about BYU. I guess I understand why they care what we are saying though there are several boards for talking about BYU. This is a Utah board.
    “The world is so exquisite with so much love and moral depth, that there is no reason to deceive ourselves with pretty stories for which there's little good evidence. Far better it seems to me, in our vulnerability, is to look death in the eye and to be grateful every day for the brief but magnificent opportunity that life provides.”
    Carl Sagan

Quote Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
    I don't understand why we are still talking about BYU. I guess I understand why they care what we are saying though there are several boards for talking about BYU. This is a Utah board.
    Find Wally's post somewhere below. He nails the answer to your question.

--Yeats

This ought to be interesting for BYU fans...

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The Fight Hunger Bowl will make history with two female officials this year.

The game between BYU and Washington on Dec. 27 in San Francisco will be called by a crew from Conference USA that includes Sarah Thomas as line judge and Maia Chaka as head linesman.

NCAA national coordinator of officials Rogers Redding says it is the first time two female officials have worked the same FBS game.

Thomas became the first female official in major college football in 2007 and the first to work a bowl game in 2009 at the Little Caesars Bowl.

A Division II game earlier this year between Miles College and Lane had four female officials. That was billed as the first NCAA game with a majority-female officiating crew.