Page 92 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4282888990919293949596102 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,760 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Something makes me think that Detmer/Hill had the Utah-USC game in mind when he went for the win from 30 yards out instead of still chipping away like they had all game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    Except that it doesnt, really. This thread is just a symptom of what applejack posted earlier. The BYU obsession bleeds into so many other threads like the religious ones and big 12 expansion, etc.
    I get your concerns but every time I start to think about agreeing with you my mind rebels against the idea that we should impose some kind of code of silence about our rival. We dislike our rival. That's what rivals do. BYU fans dislike Utah. Both sides want to express that sometimes. UCLA fans feel free to bag on USC all the time. Why should we feel bad about doing the same thing about BYU? Seems kind of ridiculous.

EDIT: I noticed that on the Tapatalk feed for CS they're running a GIF of Jackson's kickoff runback against Utah. Why not? It makes them happy. Stuff like that makes rivalries fun.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-24-2016 at 10:50 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I get your concerns but every time I start to think about agreeing with you my mind rebels against the idea that we should impose some kind of code of silence about our rival. We dislike our rival. That's what rivals do. BYU fans dislike Utah. Both sides want to express that sometimes. UCLA fans feel free to bag on USC all the time. Why should we feel bad about doing the same thing about BYU? Seems kind of ridiculous.

EDIT: I noticed that on the Tapatalk feed for CS they're running a GIF of Jackson's kickoff runback against Utah. Why not? It makes them happy. Stuff like that makes rivalries fun.
    Lame. Rationalize away. UCLA and USC? Really? USC and UCLA are not small time Provo. Let it go man. Let it go Idina.
    Last edited by Devildog; 09-25-2016 at 02:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    Lame. Rationalize away. UCLA and USC? Really? USC and UCLA are not small time Provo. Let it go man. Let it go Idina.
    Sorry DD. Your crew will never be able to let it go. We own U.

You get the uninvite from the Dude, create your own site, and then by nearly 2.7 to 1, your utes make this the most popular thread on this football portion of this site.

Holy shit. I mean that's ridiculous. Have some self respect, utes. Sheesh
    Last edited by Viking; 09-25-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
    There is no rationalizing going on. Come on. BYU is our rival. No, they are not UCLA or USC, but like it or not, they have been our rival for over 100 years and with all that history, especially the last 40 years or so, it isn't going to change during your lifetime or mine. College sports fans like to talk about their rival. Stanford fans do it to Cal, Michigan fans do it to Ohio State, Arizona does it to ASU. And yes, BYU fans do it to Utah.

Senioritis set this thread up to be a dumping ground for all BYU-related thoughts so that we don't have to run across them and other threads. That is why this thread looks big -- but it still represents only about 3% of the posts on this board. Having said that, if the majority of people who post here want this thread to go away, and the board's directors agree, we can certainly accomplish that. I'm kind of sick of it myself, and I am tired of arguing about it. Speak up, everyone.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I have always found complaints about threads to be strange. Don't like a topic? Cool. Don't post in it. There's some areas of this forum that I don't think I've visited because they aren't of interest to me.

UCLA and USC are both P5 teams, and in the same P5 conference.

Also, this thread would appear to demonstrate that need of some to express their dislike of BYU happens a lot more often than sometimes.

If Utah fans can't shut up about a 1-3 Independent mid-major, why should the look media talk more about a 4-0 P5, Pac-12 South contender?

There is no rationalizing going on. Come on. BYU is our rival. No, they are not UCLA or USC, but like it or not, they have been our rival for over 100 years and with all that history, especially the last 40 years or so, it isn't going to change during your lifetime or mine. College sports fans like to talk about their rival. Stanford fans do it to Cal, Michigan fans do it to Ohio State, Arizona does it to ASU. And yes, BYU fans do it to Utah.
    All of these teams you reference are P5 teams in the same conference. Okay, yes, we have plenty of history with BYU, and I understand that old habits die hard, but as Paul wrote "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things." Things have changed dramatically in the last 6 years, but many Utah fans have been struggling to keep pace with that change.
    Last edited by USS Utah; 09-25-2016 at 12:15 PM.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

It is certainly a valid point that if one does not like this thread one does not have to read it.

I am curious, though, is there a thread here dedicated to Colorado? There is some history with the Buffs, though there was also a 40+ year break in that rivalry.

While the Buffs have been down since joining the Pac, they look to be rather good this year, if their win over Oregon yesterday is any indication.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

There's a little bit of "fan police" activity going on here. Are certain topics not allowed to be of interest? Are we all supposed to say now that because BYU is not in a P5 conference, "Neener-neener, you are not worthy of our attention," and anyone who sees the situation differently must be suffering from some type of emotional weakness?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-25-2016 at 01:07 PM.

--Yeats

There's a little bit of "fan police" activity going on here. Are certain topics not allowed to be of interest? Are we all supposed to say now that because BYU is not in a P5 conference, "Neener-neener, you are not worthy of our attention," and anyone who sees the situation differently must be suffering from some type of emotional weakness?
    Aren't you among the people that never wants to schedule BYU in any sport ever again?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Aren't you among the people that never wants to schedule BYU in any sport ever again?
    Nope. I have never said that. I have said that I am ambivalent about scheduling them in football, and I still am -- but only as to frequency of the game. Apart from that I love the basketball game, and think we should play them in all other sports.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-25-2016 at 01:45 PM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    It is certainly a valid point that if one does not like this thread one does not have to read it.

I am curious, though, is there a thread here dedicated to Colorado? There is some history with the Buffs, though there was also a 40+ year break in that rivalry.

While the Buffs have been down since joining the Pac, they look to be rather good this year, if their win over Oregon yesterday is any indication.
    Great idea! Start a thread about your rivalry with Colorado! I mean you only had a "40+" year break with them

# couldn'tgetin #webothappliedtobyuyetimtheonewithabyudegree
    Last edited by Viking; 09-25-2016 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Great idea! Start a thread about your rivalry with Colorado! I mean you only had a "40+" year break with them

How was the game this weekend?

I thought it was a great preview of BYU in the B12, fighting until the end. #shithappens

Best thing about being a BYU grad is we are proud of our guys no matter what. Meanwhile, SU has a brother who named not one, but two, airlines on not one, but two, continents, after BYU's primary color.

Best thing about being a BYU grad is we are proud of our guys no matter what. Meanwhile, SU has a brother who named not one, but two, airlines on not one, but two, continents, after BYU's primary color.
    Admittedly, "JetRed" and "Vermelho" are pretty terrible names

For the record, I love this thread, and the rivalry. I post in this thread to remind the uppity Ute fans who we really are and where we come from, lest we forget our roots.

Or after the color of the sky. Or after USU where his brother played football.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Proud is right. If you weren't so proud, you'd stayed in the MWC, you'd still be getting recruiting classes in the 30's, you'd be winning 10-11 games a year, you'd be going to BCS Bowls, and you'd be Houston this year.

But, your pride got in the way of intelligence, you made a kneejerk reaction and went Indy, and now you have a coaching staff that lost you the game yesterday and you are fighting vs Toledo...not for a spot in a big bowl, but for bowl eligibility.

Your pride has completely screwed you over, and I'm loving it.

This post confuses me. I acknowledged the break while simply asking if there was a thread dedicated to Colorado.

The hashtags are ever more confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    This post confuses me. I acknowledged the break while simply asking if there was a thread dedicated to Colorado.

The hashtags are ever more confusing.
    It was a troll job.

Viking knows that byu wasn't exactly an academic juggernaut back when he attended.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    It was a troll job.

Viking knows that byu wasn't exactly an academic juggernaut back when he attended.

Yes. SU didn't bite. He knows better. USS Utah, my hashtags are intentionally stupid and predictable and my trolls are even worse.

BYU is one of the few degrees in the US that accretes meaningfully in value over time. When I was there, it seemed the quality of the faculty had not yet caught up with the incoming student quality. Rex Lee announced at freshman orientation that the avg ACT score was the highest ever (27) and average GPA was 3.5. Yet, the faculty generally was more reflective of my parent's generation, which was obviously an era when the competition for acceptance was much lower.

Engineering, accounting, economics and the mathematics departments in my time had good faculty members (I majored in economics, minor in math).

What's happened in the 25 years since I enrolled (wow) is that the first wave of more qualified students (roughly starting in the early/mid 1980s, coincident with the mormon baby boomer's having college-aged children) who decided to go into academia created a major upgrade to the faculty at BYU when they returned. Only a handful of my professors from my BYU days are still teaching and I keep in touch with several of them, and have used one econ prof recently on some consulting work. He told me that the younger faculty are off the charts in comparison with the faculty in my era.

The largest expansion in quality relative to the past is likely behind us, but each year, acceptance to BYU will be harder. I am pretty sure if I were an applying student, I'd be accepted on the basis of scores/academics but I only attended one year of seminary and that would probably kill my chances and I would have ended up going to UT Austin.

I was on campus recently in Provo and the coed, er, quality has certainly gone down, in correlation with the increase in academic profile. I had thought UofU coeds hadn't seen much of a drop off in recent years. And then I saw this from boney fuller's twitter. What's wrong with you people??
    uoucoed.jpg
    Last edited by Viking; 09-26-2016 at 05:24 AM.

I think BYU fans make up about 3% of the site, so we try to make things interesting for them.

BYU is the new Bob Jones U.

BYU and BJU. Twins.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Funny piece about another rivalry:

The Michigan Wolverines Are Back. Ugh.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mich...03687?mod=e2fb

--Yeats

Funny piece about another rivalry:

The Michigan Wolverines Are Back. Ugh.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/the-mich...03687?mod=e2fb
    It's true. The biggest non-Pac game of the week is this one. C'mon Badgers!

Bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post

In many ways, we are inseparably linked to The BYU, and always will be. We come from many different levels of interest/obsession regarding our jorts wearing, socially awkward brothers to the south, but I believe we are all somewhere in the process of remission. With how severely Lavell Edwards treated many of our childhoods, and the fervor by which many us hated BYU with the white hot fire of a thousand suns, discussion of BYU is inevitable. We wish we knew how to quit them, but we can't.

However, I think it would be lovely if we had one thread for all things BYU, and this category seems the best spot for it seeing as how their high point in basketball over the last 35 years was making it clear to the Sweet Sixteen one time. The purpose of this thread is so we don't have to be embarrassed by our obsession, but we can keep it well organized in one place. That way, we can keep discussion of the zealot Captain Bronconi, the pug nosed Dave Rose, and the Worst Canadian Since Anne Murray (Greg Wrubell) mostly in this thread, and not scattered all over the board like a chimpanzee's well-flung poo.

So, this is the thread. Don't be afraid to let your hatred show. If you need to binge, binge. If you need to purge, then by all means, purge.

Just a few things to remember:

1. Use of the word Zoob is appropriate, when necessary.
    2. Lighthearted is always better than super bitter.
    3. If you wear white suspenders to football games, feel free to have a big glass of shut the hell up.

--Yeats

Dallas Morning News: BYU is "radioactive"

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...g-12-expansion

“Sources indicated that Borens's favorite inexpansion was BYU, which is now viewed as radioactive because of its stance on LGBT and Title IX issues pending any changes in the school's honor code.”
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Dallas Morning News: BYU is "radioactive"

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/coll...g-12-expansion

“Sources indicated that Borens's favorite inexpansion was BYU, which is now viewed as radioactive because of its stance on LGBT and Title IX issues pending any changes in the school's honor code.”
    Since Imagine Dragons has Utah County roots maybe BYU can use their "Radioactive" as their new fight song.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm really surprised that nobody is talking about the byu's super-duper-expensive HD truck. Is that no longer a major factor in the byu's appeal to the B12?
    I mean, c'mon. The thing has gold-plated toilets, a working flux capacitor, and a time-capsule from ancient Sumeria inside.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.