Page 94 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104 ... LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

I have to think the U is doing this to appease the Legislature.

this has been rumored for a while. I wonder if they waited to make the announcement until BYU knew its Big XII fate.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I have to think the U is doing this to appease the Legislature.
    Probably (infuriatingly) true.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The timing of this announcement is a little interesting. Note that BYU just announced a H-H with Minnesota yesterday, too, after not having entered any game contracts for a very long time. This tells me that BYU probably put a moratorium on scheduling new games while B12 expansion was still a question. It also tells me that BYU was taking the position that it didn't necessarily want to play Utah if it were in the B12. Keep in mind that if BYU were in the B12, it may only have 8 conference games and the desirability of the Utah game for them would be much more appealing for them (2 P5 teams playing a H-H) than it currently is for us (a P5 playing a H-H against a non-ND independent). In other words, it's incredibly insincere for BYU fans to criticize Utah for not being hyped up about playing this game when BYU was apparently in the exact same position when the B12 just looked like a possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    The timing of this announcement is a little interesting. Note that BYU just announced a H-H with Minnesota yesterday, too, after not having entered any game contracts for a very long time. This tells me that BYU probably put a moratorium on scheduling new games while B12 expansion was still a question. It also tells me that BYU was taking the position that it didn't necessarily want to play Utah if it were in the B12. Keep in mind that if BYU were in the B12, it may only have 8 conference games and the desirability of the Utah game for them would be much more appealing for them (2 P5 teams playing a H-H) than it currently is for us (a P5 playing a H-H against a non-ND independent). In other words, it's incredibly insincere for BYU fans to criticize Utah for not being hyped up about playing this game when BYU was apparently in the exact same position when the B12 just looked like a possibility.
    I was thinking the same thing--that if BYU played in the Big XII, its desire to play Utah would go down dramatically. BYU might even have less desire to play us than we have to play them. Given their desire to be a missionary tool nationwide, they have at least as much incentive to use its non-conference games out of state.

The difference between Holmoe's and Hill's comments is telling--Holmoe "its a greeat rivalry", Hill "its hard to schedule." If BYU had gotten into the Big XII, Holmoe's comments would have been a lot more like Hill's, if the game was scheduled at all (which I doubt).

Chris Hill tells Goon the U will likely look to schedule more P5 games as the trend is switching towards more P5 vs P5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Straight fire..

LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    LOL.

Sounds like the byu ticket office knows their clientele.

Strikes me as waaaayyyy strange beyond the "BYU fans are cheap" thing.

Would you let someone in your house just because they are a fan? As a school I wouldn't be recommending that in the slightest, seems like a massive liability, from minor damage to sexual assault.

The zoo is a funky place.

Dear byu,

please never stop being byu.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Strikes me as waaaayyyy strange beyond the "BYU fans are cheap" thing.

Would you let someone in your house just because they are a fan? As a school I wouldn't be recommending that in the slightest, seems like a massive liability, from minor damage to sexual assault.

The zoo is a funky place.
    When we were in NOLA, the fighting Jimmers came to town for an NCAA tournament game. My bishop got a call the day of the game:

"Hey, just wanted to let you know that we are on route to LA for the game tonight. We're from Missouri, but we're in Arkansas now. We have two little kids with us, and we'd like to drop them off at a member's house while we go to the game. Could you please call us back and let us know where we should leave them?"

They did not offer to pay for the babysitting service. They figured it was just included in the benefit package of being BYU fans.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    When we were in NOLA, the fighting Jimmers came to town for an NCAA tournament game. My bishop got a call the day of the game:

"Hey, just wanted to let you know that we are on route to LA for the game tonight. We're from Missouri, but we're in Arkansas now. We have two little kids with us, and we'd like to drop them off at a member's house while we go to the game. Could you please call us back and let us know where we should leave them?"

They did not offer to pay for the babysitting service. They figured it was just included in the benefit package of being BYU fans.

Its your calling/duty. It's like the EQ helping people move. or maybe fast offering.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

If I got calls like that I'd set up an phone system that went something like this:

"Hello, you've reached Bishop <name> please listen carefully to the menu options as they have recently changed...

If you are wondering what time the Christmas Party is, press 1
    If you need help with food, rent or utilities, press 2
    If you are sad about something and need to talk, press 3
    If someone has offended you, press 4
    If I have offended you, press 5
    If you are a BYU fan looking for room and board or otherwise preying on the goodwill of people, press 6..."

(Person presses 6)

"Your status as a church member is currently being reviewed. Please hold..."

(30 seconds)

"You status as a church member has now been updated! You are now (different computer voice) EXCOMMUNICATED. (Normal voice again) Good bye."

(Phone hangs up).
    Last edited by Rocker Ute; 12-01-2016 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    If I got calls like that I'd set up an phone system that went something like this:

"Hello, you've reached Bishop <name> please listen carefully to the menu options as they have recently changed...

If you are wondering what time the Christmas Party is, press 1
    If you need help with food, rent or utilities, press 2
    If you are sad about something and need to talk, press 3
    If someone has offended you, press 4
    If I have offended you, press 5
    If you are a BYU fan looking for room and board or otherwise preying on the goodwill of people, press 6..."

(Person presses 6)

"Your status as a church member is currently being reviewed. Please hold..."

(30 seconds)

"You status as a church member has now been updated! You are now (different computer voice) EXCOMMUNICATED. (Normal voice again) Good bye."

(Phone hangs up).
    Does this mean I'm not getting that room in your house that I requested for Ute basketball game nights this winter?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Does this mean I'm not getting that room in your house that I requested for Ute basketball game nights this winter?
    Anyone wants to attend the Utah game in Boulder - I got a shed out back that you can use.

I kind of expected you to press #1 and not get to #6. You are always welcome to the finest blow-up mattress money can buy.

Matches found for organs of BYU RBs coach’s three-year-old daughter

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...email&msg=fail

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Matches found for organs of BYU RBs coach’s three-year-old daughter

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...email&msg=fail
    This is such a sad story. I can't imagine how hard this must be for them.
    I hope the Mahe family finds some peace somewhere.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

I can't imagine anything more horrible than this. So sad, and many hard times to come. Wish them much peace.

That is so awful for Reno and his family.

I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Sunny Mahe, Reno's wife, posted this on Facebook yesterday:

"We were just told that matches have been found for Elsie's organs and she will head down to surgery early tomorrow morning. We are opening another fast for the doctors that will perform the surgeries as well as the recipients. We will plead for the surgeries to be flawless and Elsie's gifts to be well received. You are all welcome to join us in this fast.

"I have felt especially close to my Heavenly Father today as I have prepared my child to give her sweet body that another may live. I have considered the great gift of the atonement. I wonder if Heavenly Father felt anything like me - filled with immeasurable sorrow, yet excited as I anticipate this wonderful life saving gift that my child will give; my own beloved child in whom I am well pleased. I hope that is not sacrilegious to compare.

"As we enter this Christmas season, I believe many of you will be tempted to feel sorry for me for having to endure this experience right around the holidays. However, I will treasure the opportunity to remember my sweet Elsie every year at this time and reflect upon the true meaning of this Christmas.

"Funeral plans are still in the works and will be posted as they are confirmed. I love you, my friends. Your prayers, acts of service and kind words have carried me through these difficult days and given me much sought after peace. I pray that you will all feel the peace that our Savior brings as well."

Last edited by LA Ute; 12-02-2016 at 10:36 AM.

--Yeats

Wow, that is pretty touching. He has a lot more faith than I would under those circumstances. My heart goes out to his family. It is pretty awesome the gifts of life that his daughter's organs will give to another child(ren).

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

I am about to get on a flight to LA from SLC and there are a lot of BYU Basketball shirts and hats among my fellow passengers. Do they have a game in SoCal? Pretty close to Christmas to be traveling for a game.

--Yeats

I am about to get on a flight to LA from SLC and there are a lot of BYU Basketball shirts and hats among my fellow passengers. Do they have a game in SoCal? Pretty close to Christmas to be traveling for a game.

They have a football bowl game in So Cal today, if I remember correctly. Their basketball team played Idaho State last night, so I doubt they have a road game so soon.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    They have a football bowl game in So Cal today, if I remember correctly. Their basketball team played Idaho State last night, so I doubt they have a road game so soon.
    What is their tie-in? Poinsettia? I respect their dedication if they're flying for a game tonight and then returning tomorrow, just a couple of days before Christmas. I wouldn't do that for the Utes in a pre-Christmas bowl. (This year I'm not doing it for the Utes in a post-Christmas bowl.)

--Yeats

What is their tie-in? Poinsettia? I respect their dedication if they're flying for a game tonight and then returning tomorrow, just a couple of days before Christmas. I wouldn't do that for the Utes in a pre-Christmas bowl. (This year I'm not doing it for the Utes in a post-Christmas bowl.)
    Yes, Poinsettia Bowl tonight against Wyoming, 6:00 pm PT. BYU is a 11 point favorite. Tanner Mangum's first start of the year.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=400876044
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 12-21-2016 at 09:32 AM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Tanner Mangum's first start of the year.
    I am on record believing Mangum should have been the starter all year. Hope I'm proven wrong tonight!

Maybe they're confused. Their basketball team plays UC Riverside in Provo Thursday. They're going to be disappointed when they get to UC Riverside arena.

Dear Coach Rose,

Afterward, Allen met with Santa Ana and Elon coach Matt Matheny to apologize
    That's how you do it.

Signed, Mike Krzyzewski

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Dear Coach Rose,

That's how you do it.

Signed, Mike Krzyzewski
    PS I only know this because I failed the first two times he did this.