Page 95 of 114 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,850 of 3412

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I am on record believing Mangum should have been the starter all year. Hope I'm proven wrong tonight!
    You were right!
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

LaVell Edwards, Hall of Fame football coach, leaves a remarkable legacy

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...at-age-86.html

Uniform Fashion Expert HuskyFreeNorthwest's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Maybe they're confused. Their basketball team plays UC Riverside in Provo Thursday. They're going to be disappointed when they get to UC Riverside arena.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It wouldn't be that disappointing to end up in Riverside instead of Utah in December.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
    It wouldn't be that disappointing to end up in Riverside instead of Utah in December.
    I'm amazed anyone visits Provo let alone lives there

If you can get past the recruiting violation, it's pretty cute.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    If you can get past the recruiting violation, it's pretty cute.

Amazingly they're not deleted if you go to Tufele's twitter. You'd think someone down there would have figured it out by now.

This looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This looks good.

Where is 2015?

2 year hiatus.

2 year hiatus.
    Not quite.

Not quite.

I guess it is getting less interesting for me to track this since it is getting so lopsided. All of the victories are blending together. I just happened to run across these notes on my phone and I added this year's game.

I guess it is getting less interesting for me to track this since it is getting so lopsided. All of the victories are blending together. I just happened to run across these notes on my phone and I added this year's game.
    2015: up 35-0 6 minutes into the 1st quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    2015: up 35-0 6 minutes into the 1st quarter.
    Ah yes! I forgot about the bowl!

Fixed.

I decided this would be easier to manipulate in Google Sheets.

I'm open to suggestions or comments to add to the list.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I pulled the data from this site:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/

Shots fired

As I was perusing headlines tonight, I saw where BYU beat Pacific by 15 on the road. That has to feel pretty good, after losing to the San Diego Toreros on the road last week. Seems like that Lone Peak pipeline is finally starting to pay off for them.

Contrast that with Utah sweeping the Washington St/Washington road trip with a combined MOV of 62 points. And going into this season, many felt unsure about how well Larry had done recruiting this year's team, with all the turnover from last year. BYU fans were sure that Larry bought out the BYU game this year because he was afraid to lose to them with their incoming class of all Americans.

I hate to pick at old scabs, but it is sometimes nice to reflect back to the angst around BYU/Utah last year, to appreciate where we are now.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

It looks like BYU broke the Poinsettia Bowl.

It looks like BYU broke the Poinsettia Bowl.

Obviously they realized that the expectations put upon them by having so many fans clamoring to show up was too much for them.

Good time to be a BYU fan. They have 8 scheduled wins. If they go 2-3 vs the only decent teams they play next year, they are a 10 win team. Toss in when Utah only gets 7 wins next year (and one over BYU), they can pound their chests and talk about how great they are.

Heck, even if they go 0-5 or 1-4 vs the only 5 decent teams they play, they can still talk about how great they are. Great scheduling by Holmoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    Good time to be a BYU fan. They have 8 scheduled wins. If they go 2-3 vs the only decent teams they play next year, they are a 10 win team. Toss in when Utah only gets 7 wins next year (and one over BYU), they can pound their chests and talk about how great they are.

Heck, even if they go 0-5 or 1-4 vs the only 5 decent teams they play, they can still talk about how great they are. Great scheduling by Holmoe.
    Who cares. The only reason BYU matters is that after we beat them every BYU win boosts us in the BCS poll.

And actually, this is a miserable time to be a BYU fan.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-28-2017 at 10:27 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    And actually, this is a miserable time to be a BYU fan.
    I would hate to be in their shoes.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I would hate to be in their shoes.
    Speaking of which, they host the #1 Gonzaga Bulldogs on Thursday. They are a 15 point underdog at home.

Of course, Ute fans can't really talk much sh*t, considering how badly we lost to Gonzaga in the tournament last year.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Speaking of which, they host the #1 Gonzaga Bulldogs on Thursday. They are a 15 point underdog at home.

Of course, Ute fans can't really talk much sh*t, considering how badly we lost to Gonzaga in the tournament last year.
    You know that comparitive scores across seasons is the best metric to determine who is winning at the game of "who is best?"

You know that comparitive scores across seasons is the best metric to determine who is winning at the game of "who is best?"
    I'm nervous if I'm Gonzaga. The top 5 is undergoing its annual January shuffling. BYU and Colorado are probably the two biggest disappointments in the West in college hoops, but remind what Colorado did in its last game?

Outside of Wichita State (who largely went undefeated in the Missouri Valley a few years back because Creighton left for the Big East the year prior), games like tonight are the roadblocks that every team in a mid-major league has that keep it from going undefeated. This is that game for Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'm nervous if I'm Gonzaga. The top 5 is undergoing its annual January shuffling. BYU and Colorado are probably the two biggest disappointments in the West in college hoops, but remind what Colorado did in its last game?
    I think UW and SDSU could argue for a spot ahead of BYU on that list. There wasn't much buzz for BYU entering the season, but there was for the Huskies.

One thing the football committee has figured out that basketball still struggles with is the idea that undefeated teams don't have to get a top seed. Gonzaga will probably get a 1-seed if they finish unbeaten, but very few people will actually believe they are one of the top 4 teams in the nation.

I'm nervous if I'm Gonzaga. The top 5 is undergoing its annual January shuffling. BYU and Colorado are probably the two biggest disappointments in the West in college hoops,
    Maybe the biggest disappointment in the West in hoops is the entire MWC. When was the last time the MWC was a one-bid league?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe the biggest disappointment in the West in hoops is the entire MWC. When was the last time the MWC was a one-bid league?

Western basketball in general has been a disappointment for almost two decades. since Utah and Stanford made the FF in 1998, only four teams west of the 100th Meridian have made it. Arizona in 2001 and UCLA 2006-08. None in almost ten years.

Outside of Wichita State (who largely went undefeated in the Missouri Valley a few years back because Creighton left for the Big East the year prior), games like tonight are the roadblocks that every team in a mid-major league has that keep it from going undefeated. This is that game for Gonzaga.
    Well great I have them at -8.5...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

There were a lot of great posts on CB yesterday with NLI and the inevitable comparisons, but this was my favorite by a landslide.