Page 21 of 114 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324253171 ... LastLast

Thread: I Wish I Knew How to Quit You - The BYU Sports Thread

Quote Originally Posted by roseparkutes View Post
    I loved the look on Saturday. anything blue is disgusting
    Unless its worn by Navy.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    No problem there:

Attachment 946

You're just proving my point.
    If you can't see the difference, I can't help you.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

If you can't see the difference, I can't help you.
    Of course they are not exactly the same. They are pretty doggone similar, however. Black is one of their official colors. It is not one of ours. When it becomes as prominent as it has been the last couple of seasons, our teams do not resemble the Utah teams that have played football for over 100 years. That is just a pet peeve of mine. I can live with it. But it's fun to gripe about.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Of course they are not exactly the same. They are pretty doggone similar, however. Black is one of their official colors. It is not one of ours. When it becomes as prominent as it has been the last couple of seasons, our teams do not resemble the Utah teams that have played football for over 100 years. That is just a pet peeve of mine. I can live with it. But it's fun to gripe about.
    Black is officially Utah's third color.

It's a different era.

Black is officially Utah's third color.

It's a different era.
    The U.'s marketing department has authorized the use of black as an accent color. They don't get to decide what the school's official colors are. (As you can see, and as Diehard knows, I'm stubborn on this one!)

The University of Utah is a public coeducational space-grant research university in Salt Lake City, Utah, United States.

Address: 201 Presidents Cir, Salt Lake City, UT 84112

Mascot: University of Utah Swoop

Enrollment: 31,660 (2011)

Acceptance rate: 83% (2010)

Founder: Brigham Young

Colors: White, Crimson

Our colors are crimson and white. Google it. Ki-yi!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The U.'s marketing department has authorized the use of black as an accent color. They don't get to decide what the school's official colors are. (As you can see, and as Diehard knows, I'm stubborn on this one!)

The official University colors are divided into two sections: primary and secondary color palettes.

The secondary color palette provides colors to complement the primary palette of red and black. Note that secondary colors do not replace the primary color palette of red and black.
    The players really like it.

The players really like it.

--Yeats

Just be happy we're not doing what Oregon does.

Going away now.

Just be happy we're not doing what Oregon does.

Going away now.
    I don't want you to go away, just get off my lawn. And you're right about Oregon. And about the players liking the black. Yeccch.

--Yeats

I don't want you to go away, just get off my lawn. And you're right about Oregon. And about the players liking the black. Yeccch.
    We are so close to very good looking uniforms with the black/white, but we always mess it up with too much red. I want storm trooper style on those.

Red/white is still out best look.

I didn't used to like even the black accents on Utah's uniforms. I hated the black on the road unis in 03-04. But since the blackout game in 08 I decided to embrace the black, and I like the different uniform combinations.

I'm still not much of a fan of white pants on the road -- though the Sugar Bowl ameliorated that a little.
    Last edited by USS Utah; 11-19-2013 at 12:53 PM.

I am on a crusade to get white removed from the official colors list, as it really isn't a color at all, but the absense of color. In my perfect world the school color (singular!) would be red. Only red. Red would be the only color on unis and other paraphernalia. Now, a common concern regarding my crusade is "how do you trim a uniform, or number it, etc., with only one color?"

The answer?

Not. my. Problem.

Everyone wears white jerseys on the road, even if white isn't one of their colors.

I hate our all white look in football. It's like we're the groom in a cheesy 70's wedding

All the matters with uniforms is that Utah does what the players want and what has the potential to bring in recruits. It isn't about what fans think of the uniforms.

Oregon shouldn't be a criticism, they should be held up as an example of the right thing to do for their players and recruits.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com

Quote Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
    All the matters with uniforms is that Utah does what the players want and what has the potential to bring in recruits. It isn't about what fans think of the uniforms.

Oregon shouldn't be a criticism, they should be held up as an example of the right thing to do for their players and recruits.
    The criticism isn't what Oregon is doing with uniforms, but the degree to which they are doing it.

Harrumph!

--Yeats

I'm not familiar with the nuances of recruiting, but are uniform options really a tipping point for a potential recruit? I don't doubt the kids like them, but I always feel like this is a line fed to us to get us to buy more merchandise.

And in that case I think they are forgetting the important 'Rocker Ute' segment. You know, the one that doesn't really give a sh**.

Quote Originally Posted by wally View Post
    I am on a crusade to get white removed from the official colors list, as it really isn't a color at all, but the absense of color. In my perfect world the school color (singular!) would be red. Only red. Red would be the only color on unis and other paraphernalia. Now, a common concern regarding my crusade is "how do you trim a uniform, or number it, etc., with only one color?"

The answer?

Not. my. Problem.
    Oh my, look what I have done. I didn't mean to start a fight but seriously, Saturday's uniforms, particularly the pants, looked like they were designed by Lululemon or worse by a half-time dance team director. Football players should look like football players not dancers. And by the way, black is not a colour and if it is not in the primary pallet of a team colour scheme it should not be used as an accent. It's what lazy designers do.

And before you say it, yes I am a purist. But I understand the desire to go all jazzy with the uniforms, just don't make the players look like half-time dancers!

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    Oh my, look what I have done. I didn't mean to start a fight but seriously, Saturday's uniforms, particularly the pants, looked like they were designed by Lululemon or worse by a half-time dance team director. Football players should look like football players not dancers. And by the way, black is not a colour and if it is not in the primary pallet of a team colour scheme it should not be used as an accent. It's what lazy designers do.

And before you say it, yes I am a purist. But I understand the desire to go all jazzy with the uniforms, just don't make the players look like half-time dancers!

Black is a color, in print it is the presence of all colors.

White is also a color, in light it is the presence of all colors.

But I'm curious, how do you know so much about yoga pants? Do you have a fit that works with your body type?

I was focused on the colors issue. Sorry, I don't even know who Lululemon is, and I am not interested enough to Google the name.

--Yeats

False. All of it. If our boys were wearing lululemons there would have been major wedgies going on and FCC violations for junk shown through transparent pants. Sorry to burst your bubble!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Black is a color, in print it is the presence of all colors.

White is also a color, in light it is the presence of all colors.

But I'm curious, how do you know so much about yoga pants? Do you have a fit that works with your body type?
    I teach colour theory in an art and design school. Yes, black is a colour in print but it is what lazy artists and designers use, especially if it is not a part of the original colour pallet. Using black get's you a failing grade in my design classes.

On my college campus yoga pants have become the preferred leg wear of nearly every young woman regardless of body type. Enough already I say. But there is little I can do about the issue except to rail against the lack of fashion sense of this generation. And call out the Utes for sending their players out on the field looking like drill team dancers and not football players!

Quote Originally Posted by wally
    False. All of it. If our boys were wearing lululemons there would have been major wedgies going on and FCC violations for junk shown through transparent pants. Sorry to burst your bubble!
    Those uniforms were FCC violations in my opinion. Enough already. The Utes are Crimson and White. And BYU should go back to Royal blue.

--Yeats

Yes, black is a colour in print but it is what lazy artists and designers use, especially if it is not a part of the original colour pallet. Using black get's you a failing grade in my design classes.
    Uh... okay.

Palette = a thin board or slab on which an artist lays and mixes colors. Typically used with color palette.
    Pallet = portable platform also sometimes called a skid.

Do you really teach this stuff or are we talking wood shop here? Also do you just add a 'u' to color to sound British?

Do you fail yourself when you wear black turtlenecks and hipster doofus black-rimmed glasses? I think you should be easier on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Uh... okay.

Palette = a thin board or slab on which an artist lays and mixes colors. Typically used with color palette.
    Pallet = portable platform also sometimes called a skid.

Do you really teach this stuff or are we talking wood shop here? Also do you just add a 'u' to color to sound British?

Do you fail yourself when you wear black turtlenecks and hipster doofus black-rimmed glasses? I think you should be easier on yourself.
    We are both using Eurpopean spelling conventions. You with your French 'palette' and me spelling colour the correct way.

As evidenced by my spelling I am too sloppy to be sporting black turtle necks and black rimmed glasses. I prefer a tattered sweat shirt, jeans and untied trainers.

Yes, I really do teach this stuff.

Those uniforms were FCC violations in my opinion. Enough already. The Utes are Crimson and White. And BYU should go back to Royal blue.
    Byu is baby blue
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I teach colour theory in an art and design school. Yes, black is a colour in print but it is what lazy artists and designers use, especially if it is not a part of the original colour pallet. Using black get's you a failing grade in my design classes.

On my college campus yoga pants have become the preferred leg wear of nearly every young woman regardless of body type. Enough already I say. But there is little I can do about the issue except to rail against the lack of fashion sense of this generation. And call out the Utes for sending their players out on the field looking like drill team dancers and not football players!
    This sounds like a letter to the Daily Universe.

Using black get's you a failing grade in my design classes.
    Would you have failed batman?

batman.jpg

Or Pink Floyd?

storm-thorgerson-at-john-varvatos.6324447.40.jpg

Or Jamaica?

jamaica-flag.gif