Thread: I did a little analysis on 97.5's 60 in 60. Interesting perspective

I did a little analysis on 97.5's 60 in 60. Interesting perspective

For those that don't know, here's a quick set. On a local radio station hosts Hans Olsen, Scott Garrard and producer Lloyd Cole put together a list of the 20 best players on Utah, BYU and USU. They took these lists to the respective coaches and the coaches had the OK on the list or could move players on or off of the list. They then gave those lists in no order to 18 members of the local media including Frank Dolce, Utah's color commentator, Eric Frandsen of USU's flagship station, BYU honk Greg Wrubell plus each team's beat writer from the Trib and DesNews to rank the players 1-60. Today they hit the halfway point and here's where Utah players rank against BYU & USU's.

Of the thirty players they have announced in the bottom half of the state's top 60 players, 13 come from Utah State, 11 from BYU and only 6 from Utah. In the bottom ten, only Kylie Fitts ranks there at #51. Utah State has 5 of the last group and BYU has the other four. In the 41-50 bracket, Utah has three, Stevie Tu'ikolovato at 49, Bubba Poole and Jason Whittingham at 45 & 44, respectively. In the 31-40 range, Utah checked in with Pita Taumoepenu at 39 and Filipo Mokofisi at 36.

One common thread on why the six Utes in this group are rated where they are is because the ratings had to be based on past performance, not potential and these rankings are because we haven't seen a lot of these players because of the depth of the Utah team. I've found it interesting and the reaction of various fans over different aspects of social media.

One last thing, they did mention that a full 10% of the group are Utah Defensive Linemen. Interesting that our #2s are ranked with and above the 1s of BYU and USU.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvan View Post
    For those that don't know, here's a quick set. On a local radio station hosts Hans Olsen, Scott Garrard and producer Lloyd Cole put together a list of the 20 best players on Utah, BYU and USU. They took these lists to the respective coaches and the coaches had the OK on the list or could move players on or off of the list. They then gave those lists in no order to 18 members of the local media including Frank Dolce, Utah's color commentator, Eric Frandsen of USU's flagship station, BYU honk Greg Wrubell plus each team's beat writer from the Trib and DesNews to rank the players 1-60. Today they hit the halfway point and here's where Utah players rank against BYU & USU's.

Of the thirty players they have announced in the bottom half of the state's top 60 players, 13 come from Utah State, 11 from BYU and only 6 from Utah. In the bottom ten, only Kylie Fitts ranks there at #51. Utah State has 5 of the last group and BYU has the other four. In the 41-50 bracket, Utah has three, Stevie Tu'ikolovato at 49, Bubba Poole and Jason Whittingham at 45 & 44, respectively. In the 31-40 range, Utah checked in with Pita Taumoepenu at 39 and Filipo Mokofisi at 36.

One common thread on why the six Utes in this group are rated where they are is because the ratings had to be based on past performance, not potential and these rankings are because we haven't seen a lot of these players because of the depth of the Utah team. I've found it interesting and the reaction of various fans over different aspects of social media.

One last thing, they did mention that a full 10% of the group are Utah Defensive Linemen. Interesting that our #2s are ranked with and above the 1s of BYU and USU.
    Well, that settles it. We suck, and USU has the best talent in the state. Rats.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quite the opposite, LA unless I'm seeing this incorrectly. If 13 of USU's 20 players are in the bottom half, that means that only 7 (or about 23%) of the top 30 players in the state of Utah are Aggies. Likewise, only 9 of BYU's 20 (or 30%) can mathematically be in the top 30. However, with only 6 in the bottom half, 14 of Utah's 20 players are locked into the top 30. 47% of the best 30 players in the state of Utah are Utes. You and I can remember a time when that would have been the furthest thing from the truth.

Quite the opposite, LA unless I'm seeing this incorrectly. If 13 of USU's 20 players are in the bottom half, that means that only 7 (or about 23%) of the top 30 players in the state of Utah are Aggies. Likewise, only 9 of BYU's 20 (or 30%) can mathematically be in the top 30. However, with only 6 in the bottom half, 14 of Utah's 20 players are locked into the top 30. 47% of the best 30 players in the state of Utah are Utes. You and I can remember a time when that would have been the furthest thing from the truth.
    Oops. You're right. I read your post wrong. dunce.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I have loved the reaction to this countdown. Everyday, people tweet at Hans and Scotty G to call them idiots for where the players are ranked. And every day they have to explain, again, how these rankings were put together. Anyway, I do think it is hard to argue that the best talent in the state is currently at Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Well, that settles it. We suck, and USU has the best talent in the state. Rats.

Go Aggies!

Trying to figure out how this would rate from a gambling perspective. Based on purely the top 30 players, we'd be about a 2-1 favorite against Utah State and a 1.5-1 favorite against BYU. In terms of points, that would make us about 7 point favorites against USU and 4-5 points against BYU, give or take a point. However, because each school has equal representation, as well as the fact that a game features more than just your top 20 players, I suspect Utah's depth is more pronounced from players 61-100, or your team's top 33, who see most of the snaps. We don't play BYU this year, but we do get Utah State at home. Play the game today and I would expect Utah to be favored by about 13 points against the Aggies.

Just a followup, Isaac Asiata was announced as #30, BYU players at 29 & 27 and an Aggie at 28. So with 26 players left to announce, seven of them are from BYU, six from Logan and 13 of the top 26 players in the state of Utah as voted by 18 different media members. In case you're curious, they consist of Jay Drew, BYU beat writer for the Trib; Brad Rock, feature writer for the D-News; Josh Furlong, KSL Utah reporter; famed BYU homer KSL's Greg Wrubell; KUTV's Adam Whatshisvitch; (inside joke) Kyle Goon, Utah beat writer for the Trib; Darnell Dickson, Provo Daily Herald; Al Lewis, Utah State Legend; Eric Frandsen, KVNU, Logan; Trib columnist Kurt Kragthorpe; Jeremiah Johnsen, KSL; Former Ute & KALL color man, Frank Dolce; David James, KUTV and Zone staffers Patrick Kinnehan, Tony Parks, Jake Scott, Jake Hatch & Austin Horton. Apparently Gordon Monson recused himself as he is a lightning rod for all three schools and Spencer Checketts went on vacation and didn't fill out his ballot.

I tried to catch up on this on Twitter today. What a mess. Seems like there are several completely unrelated #60in60 tags that one has to sort through. Wasn't worth it, so thank you. Any idea of there's a master list on their website that they update?

Here you go.

http://1280thezone.com/index.php/site/top60in60_2015

It's divided into groups of ten with links to each.

Interesting, Dominique Hatfield was announced as #23 today on the same day he had new charges filed against him for assault.

Interesting, Dominique Hatfield was announced as #23 today on the same day he had new charges filed against him for assault.
    In Miami it would've put him at #1.

Today's #21 was Fred Warner from BYU which means that half of the top 20 players in the State of Utah will be players from the University of Utah. So far the breakouts of 10 look like this.

1 - 10: Not Announced
    11 - 20: Not Announced
    21 - 30: Four Utes, Four Cougars, One Aggie
    31 - 40: Four Cougars, Four Aggies, Two Utes (Insert My Cousin Vinny reference here)
    41 - 50: Four Aggies, Three Utes, Three Cougars
    51 - 60: Five Aggies, Four Cougars, One Ute.

Pretty clear where the talent pool is.

Today's #21 was Fred Warner from BYU which means that half of the top 20 players in the State of Utah will be players from the University of Utah. So far the breakouts of 10 look like this.

1 - 10: Not Announced
    11 - 20: Not Announced
    21 - 30: Four Utes, Four Cougars, One Aggie
    31 - 40: Four Cougars, Four Aggies, Two Utes (Insert My Cousin Vinny reference here)
    41 - 50: Four Aggies, Three Utes, Three Cougars
    51 - 60: Five Aggies, Four Cougars, One Ute.

You're poring over these numbers like they are combine results. More accurate to conclude that it is pretty clear where the local media (typically referred to here and elsewhere as 'hacks') think the talent pool is.

Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by kccougar View Post
    You're poring over these numbers like they are combine results. More accurate to conclude that it is pretty clear where the local media (typically referred to here and elsewhere as 'hacks') think the talent pool is.
    For the first time, I agree with KC. This list, and others like it, is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    For the first time, I agree with KC. This list, and others like it, is meaningless.
    All Corvan ever claimed about the list is that it's an interesting perspective. I suspect KC would like it a lot more if it cast BYU in more favorable light....

--Yeats

All Corvan ever claimed about the list is that it's an interesting perspective. I suspect KC would like it a lot more if it cast BYU in more favorable light....
    Lists are usually interesting and always arbitrary. Except our off season power rankings. Those are gospel.

I couldn't care less how Scott Gerard ranks the local players.

I accept my ignorance on this, but has Fred Warner actually done anything yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I accept my ignorance on this, but has Fred Warner actually done anything yet?
    Sounds like you have at least heard of him, so you have me beat.

It isn't Garrard and we know of the BYU fan's disdain for him

I couldn't care less how Scott Gerard ranks the local players.

This is a collective assessment from different beat writers, Wrubel, Daily Herald, and more. If you read the OP and subsequent posts you can see where the assessment was spread out to where biases would be diluted out of it.

It's nothing more than entertainment. Maybe it's just me KC, but you seem a bit more bitter these last few years.
    Last edited by Corvan; 08-04-2015 at 09:23 PM.

This is a collective assessment from different beat writers, Wrubel, Daily Herald, and more. If you read the OP and subsequent posts you can see where the assessment was spread out to where biases would be diluted out of it.

It's nothing more than entertainment. Maybe it's just me KC, but you seem a bit more bitter these last few years.
    Bitter? Not at all.

I was using Scott Gerard as an example. I just don't put a whole lot of stock in local media opinion when it comes to evaluating talent. The List is summer filler and pure entertainment. Enjoy it for what it is, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it.

What will be fun is when they re-rank them at the end of the year

Bitter? Not at all.

I was usingit and at the end of the day, IScott Gerard as an example. I just don't put a whole lot of stock in local media opinion when it comes to evaluating talent. The List is summer filler and pure entertainment. Enjoy it for what it is, but I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it.
    Not just your tone here but at CB as well. I do enjoy it and at the end of the season I look forward to the promised re-rank at the end of the season.