Page 4 of 87 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Presidential Election

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

“We Have Contained Them.”

—President Obama regarding ISIS, speaking with George Stephanopoulos on Friday's edition of ABC’s Good Morning America, in an interview videotaped Thursday.

Back in August, the Obama White House tweeted, “No challenge poses a greater threat to our future than climate change,” echoing a near identical statement from the president in April and in February.

These are tragically clueless statements, and really quite infuriating in light of what's happened.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-14-2015 at 01:41 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The leader of ISIS/ISIL is the Sunni leader. The previous Sunni political leader, who had kept the extremists at bay, was deposed by this guy:
    Attached Images Attached Images

If only Bush had focused on climate change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

Energy research would have been a better use of trillions of war dollars. We shouldn't forget that one of the reasons the extremists hate the West is due to our funding of and support of the Saud regime. And we need to support the House of Saud because we are greatly dependent upon them for oil.

Time to take your anti-snark med again. Maybe get the prescription refilled.
    Last edited by concerned; 11-15-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Time to take your anti-snark med again. Maybe get the prescription refilled.
    NWUF started it. How come I'm the only one who gets in trouble?

--Yeats

NWUF started it. How come I'm the only one who gets in trouble?

You got in trouble because you are old enough to know better.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    You got in trouble because you are old enough to know better.
    Just get off my lawn, sonny boy.

--Yeats

And read this. There will be a quiz.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...ely-harass-it/

--Yeats

And read this. There will be a quiz.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...ely-harass-it/

Let Romney's kids sign up to be the first to go over, then we'll talk.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I read an interesting science fiction book where every war was put up for a referendum vote. If the measure passed, then every person who voted for the war was required to show up for Basic Training the following morning. The country did fight in wars when absolutely necessary, and they were absolutely ferocious in battle, but the cause for the war essentially had to be am existential threat.

The problem with ISIL is its portability. The devastating and demoralizing attack in Paris was carried out by 8 people (plus support). How to root out 8 or 80 or 8000 people from a country of hundreds of millions, without substantially impacting the daily lives of the law-abiding people, is the question of our time.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 11-16-2015 at 07:24 PM.

An interesting point but perhaps not a fair one. We do have volunteer armed forces, after all. Did you read Romney as urging a large deployment of boots on the ground?

--Yeats

The problem with ISIL is its portability. The devastating and demoralizing attack in Paris was carried out by 8 people (plus support). How to root out 8 or 80 or 8000 people from a country of hundreds of millions, without substantially impacting the daily lives of the law-abiding people, is the question of our time.
    Asymmetrical warfare conducted by deeply committed people who are willing to die in a cowardly manner (even if their even more cowardly leaders are not) are very difficult to defeat. Isis' goal is apparently not to conquer their enemies outright, but to make daily life so intolerable for their enemies that the enemies give in. Interesitng summary here:

http://nypost.com/2015/11/15/the-jih...n-to-break-us/

--Yeats

An interesting point but perhaps not a fair one. We do have volunteer armed forces, after all.
    So because they are volunteers, we can be as cavalier about their lives as we'd like?

Did you read Romney as urging a large deployment of boots on the ground?
    I'm not sure how else to read this quote:

After Paris, it’s clear: Doing the minimum won’t make us safe. It’s time the president stopped hedging and took meaningful steps to defend us and our allies.
    If he's serious, his kids can volunteer. If not, then this diminishes the real sacrifices that those men and women make by trying to stoke the fires of war for some political gain.

If he's serious, his kids can volunteer. If not, then this diminishes the real sacrifices that those men and women make by trying to stoke the fires of war for some political gain.
    Our military class is now pretty separate from the rest of the population. There is no draft. Very few people actually know anyone in the armed forces or have a family member who is a member. So to say that no one can support going to war unless they themselves served or their family members are willing to serve means we'll never go to war. (In the abstract, not a bad outcome.) Also, if we want to get into a discussion about using national security for political purposes (which I do not think Romney is doing here, BTW) a lot of people are going to look terrible, including just about every Democrat who was in the Senate at the time the Iraq war was authorized. President Obama has been consistent in his opposition to boots on the ground, I'll give him that. He is consistently the most liberal foreign policy president we've ever had. He out-McGoverns George McGovern. I think he's wrong but I admire his consistency. (Then again, it has been said that "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds.")

--Yeats

Our military class is now pretty separate from the rest of the population. There is no draft. Very few people actually know anyone in the armed forces or have a family member who is a member.
    I don't know or care what point you are trying to make, but this statement is utter bullshit. Personally, 3 family members and at least 40 friends/family of friends who have recently served(since 9/11) or are still actively serving.

Maybe in your protected little bubble, where nothing bad seems to happen, this may be true, but not personally knowing at least one soldier is the anomaly. Not the norm.
    “Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”
    André Gide

2016 Presidential Election

Yeah. I'm with Jarid here. I can't count how many people I know who are active or veterans, far more than my fingers and toes can count.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
    I don't know or care what point you are trying to make, but this statement is utter bullshit. Personally, 3 family members and at least 40 friends/family of friends who have recently served(since 9/11) or are still actively serving.

Maybe in your protected little bubble, where nothing bad seems to happen, this may be true, but not personally knowing at least one soldier is the anomaly. Not the norm.
    You got the wrong impression from what I wrote. I know many, many who have served, both in my family and among my friends. I am pretty sure that there are data showing that the overwhelming majority [EDIT: at least a very large chunk of the population] of Americans do not know anybody, and are not related to anybody, who is in the armed services. All that said, that was kind of an aside in my post. The suggestion that the Romney sons are cowards, or suffer from some other moral deficiency, because they didn't serve, is simply unfair. I will bet that most of the people on this board have never served.

Americans and Their Military, Drifting Apart

What Percentage Of Americans Have Served In The Military?

By The Numbers: Today's Military
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-17-2015 at 01:02 PM.

--Yeats

This will have some impact on the 2016 election:

Obama comes under criticism from Dems over Paris rhetoric

--Yeats

This will have some impact on the 2016 election:

Obama comes under criticism from Dems over Paris rhetoric
    Dang it. Now Obama can't get reelected.

He had better get moving on his plan to throw away the Constitution, because he is almost out of time...

Dang it. Now Obama can't get reelected.

He had better get moving on his plan to throw away the Constitution, because he is almost out of time...
    Look, you miserable vomitous mass, this was my point:

The Paris attacks have also posed a challenge to Democratic presidential front-runner Hillary Clinton, who has aligned herself closely with Obama. The president remains broadly popular with Democratic voters and is viewed by most party members as an asset for the former secretary of State's campaign.But there are signs Obama could become an albatross for Clinton if foreign policy continues to dominate the 2016 race for the White House. A CBS News/New York Times poll showed broad skepticism towards Obama’s counter-ISIS strategy even before the Paris attacks.

A guy's got to have hope.

--Yeats

Look, you miserable vomitous mass, this was my point:

clinton will break from Obama; sort of the reverse of Humphrey breaking from LBJ from SLC

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    clinton will break from Obama; sort of the reverse of Humphrey breaking from LBJ from SLC
    I've no doubt she will.

--Yeats

Don't underestimate the Public's war fatigue. The kids entering Boot Camp these days, all of whom will be first-time voters next year, started 1st grade 2-3 years AFTER 9/11.

I liked the interaction between Rand Paul and Marco Rubio in the last debate. Rubio said something about rebuilding the military. Paul challenged him by asking 'In what way is it Conservative to add trillions of more dollars to the deficit?'

Don't underestimate the Public's war fatigue. The kids entering Boot Camp these days, all of whom will be first-time voters next year, started 1st grade 2-3 years AFTER 9/11.

I liked the interaction between Rand Paul and Marco Rubio in the last debate. Rubio said something about rebuilding the military. Paul challenged him by asking 'In what way is it Conservative to add trillions of more dollars to the deficit?'
    I have huge doubts that a majority of the electorate will support a foreign policy predicated on putting ground troops back in the middle east.

I think that's true. What is the proper response to ISIS? One view is that it should be treated as a law enforcement matter. I don't think that's enough. We could be more aggressive and effective without putting a lot of boots in the ground. Also, I think polls show that people are not happy with Pres. Obama's approach to terrorism. People are nervous and upset. What they would accept as a response to the ISIS challenge is the question.

--Yeats

I think that's true. What is the proper response to ISIS? One view is that it should be treated as a law enforcement matter. I don't think that's enough. We could be more aggressive and effective without putting a lot of boots in the ground. Also, I think polls show that people are not happy with Pres. Obama's approach to terrorism. People are nervous and upset. What they would accept as a response to the ISIS challenge is the question.

They may have just taken care of themselves.

Pissing off Russia and France at the same time was one of the dumber things they could have done.

I've no doubt she will.

Bernie is so far to the left, she doesn't need to do much to separate herself from him to get the Democratic nomination.

Similar to the Republican situation, we will start to see her move once she gets the nomination. The difference from the Republicans is that she doesn't have to cater to a base that is way out of step with the majority of Americans in order to get the nomination and then try to find a way to mea culpa their way back to the middle in the general election.