Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Pre-preseason thread: 2016 football

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, maybe we should look around at other failed Heisman QBs. What are Tebow, Troy Smith, RG3, Leinhart, White, Weinke, Crouch, Wuerffel, Torretta, and Ware doing now? I'd even take a runner up. Harrington?
    LOL. Well, Spurrier had a good career. The biggest worry about Detmer is that he has never coached at the college level, unless I am forgetting something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Although Detmer just tweeted that such reports "are inaccurate at this time." Whatever that qualifier means.
    It probably means they are talking, but haven't agreed on any terms.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    LOL. Well, Spurrier had a good career. The biggest worry about Detmer is that he has never coached at the college level, unless I am forgetting something.

Sent from my nerdPhone using Can'tfixthesettingstalk
    Utah has become the home for retired coaches. May as well hire Sark while he still has mojo left in the tank. He can recruit, he can develop QBs and WRs, and he can be flexible and responsive to the Defense gives him. Plus he actually played the #1 most important position on the field.

If he was fired then surely his non-compete clause is not valid...

Well, maybe we should look around at other failed Heisman QBs. What are Tebow, Troy Smith, RG3, Leinhart, White, Weinke, Crouch, Wuerffel, Torretta, and Ware doing now? I'd even take a runner up. Harrington?
    How could you possibly stipulate Detmer is a "failed Heisman QB"?

Scalley tweets that defensive staff will all return next season.

Scalley just tweeted he's 'coming back for more' and is looking forward to another year with Pease, Shah and Ena.

Quote Originally Posted by Xamius View Post
    How could you possibly stipulate Detmer is a "failed Heisman QB"?
    The list sancho gave is of Heisman winners who flopped as NFL players.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Stubbelfield not returning.

Utah Twitter wants Guy Holiday from Provo.

In the tradition of taking BYU people for our coaching positions, how about Austin Collie. Heck of a wr, maybe he can tell our guys the secret to getting open.

In the tradition of taking BYU people for our coaching positions, how about Austin Collie. Heck of a wr, maybe he can tell our guys the secret to getting open.
    Guessing we hire a QB coach. A Rod goes back to WR

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I'd rather keep Collie with the wrs, but I guess we could give him a go with the qbs.

Are you kidding? The secret is living right on and off the field. That's what makes magic happen.

I do applaud the idea of a new WR coach. Why not make A-Rod the WR coach -- he actually played that position in college -- and hire someone new to be the QB coach? Then we might end up with someone effective at both coaching positions.

--Yeats

Great minds....

--Yeats

Great minds....
    In the spirit of patting myself on the back, I posted this a couple of weeks ago.

In the spirit of patting myself on the back, I posted this a couple of weeks ago.
    As the score pick champion, I salute you.

As the score pick champion, I salute you.
    I bow down to you on that one. I sucked.

Also, it appears the defense will be returning full strength.

https://twitter.com/safetypride/stat...01690065420288

I offer here proof of your idea infringement:

http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post66910

As for me, I stole the idea fair and square from Swinney.

--Yeats

I offer here proof of your idea infringement:

http://www.utahby5.com/showthread.ph...ll=1#post66910

As for me, I stole the idea fair and square from Swinney.
    What infringement? I was correctly and presciently telling you that you and Swinney were wrong. That is not infringement; it is insight and understanding.

What about hiring Ed Lamb away from SUU? He did a heck of a job grooming Brad Sorensen at QB.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    What about hiring Ed Lamb away from SUU? He did a heck of a job grooming Brad Sorensen at QB.
    I don't know either of those two names, but I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Rumor is byu is hiring him

Rumor is byu is hiring him
    Does he have BYU ties or loyalties? I would guess that we can outbid BYU, and I would guess that someone without BYU ties would prefer Utah.

Does he have BYU ties or loyalties? I would guess that we can outbid BYU, and I would guess that someone without BYU ties would prefer Utah.
    He played at BYU and Ricks and was a GA at BYU

But he's not a QB coach, never has been.

He played at BYU and Ricks and was a GA at BYU

But he's not a QB coach, never has been.
    I finally looked him up. He's the head coach? I figured we were talking about an OC or something. Seems unlikely that he would move to become a position coach. Stranger things have happened, but I'm not holding my breath.

(I think I read yesterday that the HC at some MAC school just left to become a position coach at Maryland, so it does happen.)

What about Holladay from BYU? He's not following Bronco and has good success with their receivers.

I finally looked him up. He's the head coach? I figured we were talking about an OC or something. Seems unlikely that he would move to become a position coach. Stranger things have happened, but I'm not holding my breath.

(I think I read yesterday that the HC at some MAC school just left to become a position coach at Maryland, so it does happen.)
    Yes. He's the HC, but all of his history is on defense. He played LB and coached defense prior to being a HC.

We need a good offensive mind with experience on that side of the ball, he shouldn't even be mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    What about Holladay from BYU? He's not following Bronco and has good success with their receivers.
    It'll be interesting to see if we go for WR or QB coach. We need both, but we only have room for one. ARod hasn't really impressed as a QB coach or as a WR coach.

For some reason I thought Lamb was a WR.

I also was worried that he would get hired as the HC at byu and make them a potent force in the football world. Luckily he isn't 'active in the churtch' enough for their requirements. Phew!

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Halliday seems like a great guy. Not quite sure whether we want a coach on our staff dropping money on Ashley Madison looking for crazy stuff (#HotPiss).

So did I.
    So I said to David Eckstein, "You promised me, Eckstein, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I noticed that during the most trying periods of my life, there have only been one set of prints in the sand. Why, when I have needed you most, have you not been there for me?" David Eckstein replied, "Because my little legs had gotten tired, and you were carrying me." And I looked down and saw that I was still carrying David Eckstein.
    --fjm.com