Page 7 of 87 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Presidential Election

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My neighbor has a Trump bumper sticker on his car. I haven't asked him about it. I think he'll be happy to vote for whoever gets the party nomination.
    Interesting. What does he look like? Is he obsessed with rooting out Shariah law?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Does anyone know a real-life Trump supporter? I'm sure you do as 40% of Republicans like him and some of you folks live in, ahem, republican leaning areas. But in the democratic bubble that is DC, I've never met one.

My mother in law

Does anyone know a real-life Trump supporter? I'm sure you do as 40% of Republicans like him and some of you folks live in, ahem, republican leaning areas. But in the democratic bubble that is DC, I've never met one.
    Nope. I know a lot of people who seem to say to themselves "Yeah!!" when they hear some of his blustery, feisty pronouncements but they seem to realize he can never be elected president. I wonder if a lot of the people whom pollsters consider his supporters fall into that category.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

If you took the Republican field and narrowed it down to three I'm pretty sure that Trump would fall below the other two candidates in support pretty quickly. At this point I don't think it even matters which are the other two besides trump.

And for the record as I've said on another site, I'm pretty sure Trump Supporters = Nickleback Fans

Just caught Stephen Colbert on The Late Late Show for the first time. He seems to think he's still on Comedy Central. Wow.

I googled "Stephen Colbert ratings" and got this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-ratings-good/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

For rating purposes he probably should stay neutral on the political issues, but I am of the same political persuasion as him so i think he is great.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    For rating purposes he probably should stay neutral on the political issues, but I am of the same political persuasion as him so i think he is great.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
    Sure, I'd love his work too if I were of the same persuasion. I just wonder if but appealing to only one side he can develop the viewership he needs in order to stay on the air. I rarely watch late-night talk shows anyway, so I don't really care. I was just intrigued. Guys like Johnny Carson and Jay Leno (and now Fallon and Kimmel) seemed to give it to both sides equally. Then again, Letterman hung on for a long time and it seems like he was always pretty left-leaning.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    If you took the Republican field and narrowed it down to three I'm pretty sure that Trump would fall below the other two candidates in support pretty quickly. At this point I don't think it even matters which are the other two besides trump.

And for the record as I've said on another site, I'm pretty sure Trump Supporters = Nickleback Fans
    This is demonstrably true, but the press--including the New York Times, which is obsessed with Trump and purports to hate him--isn't going to make this common sense observation and spoil the fun. Trump has made them a lot of eyeballs.

I GUARANTEE our next president will be one of these four: Hillary, Rubio, Jeb, or Cruz. Trump has no chance.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

If those are the likely candidates, then everybody needs to work phone banks/pray/campaign/whatever that either Rubicon or Hillary win. The words 'President Ted Cruz' should terrify everybody.

As horrible as he is, I would prefer Trump to Cruz.

(I am sticking with the assumption that Bush has minimal chance to win a National election due solely because of his name).

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    If those are the likely candidates, then everybody needs to work phone banks/pray/campaign/whatever that either Rubicon or Hillary win. The words 'President Ted Cruz' should terrify everybody.

(I am sticking with the assumption that Bush has minimal chance to win a National election due solely because of his name).
    If Cruz is nominated he'll lose 48 states. He'll carry Utah and Texas.

--Yeats

I would take trump over Cruz too.

I'm not sure why so many are afraid of Cruz being POTUS. He believes that those in power should abide by the US Constitution.
    "Ninety feet between home plate and first base may be the closest man has ever come to perfection." - Red Smith

Quote Originally Posted by GarthUte View Post
    I'm not sure why so many are afraid of Cruz being POTUS. He believes that those in power should abide by the US Constitution.
    I'd be fine with him as POTUS but I don't think he can get elected. He's a brilliant guy, probably more of an opportunist than the guys I prefer, but he has too many sharp edges. People don't like him.

--Yeats

Simply put, those who know Ted Cruz personally not only don't like him, they loathe him. I need to find the recent article I read about him but he has a definite pattern in his life thT would support that statement.

LA Ute is too nice when he says he has some rough edges. Our president has a role that includes representing our nation to the international community and having the ability to be a diplomat. Can you imagine Trump or Cruz interacting with other world leaders? Absolute and total disaster. If they can't even interact well with a culture they've spent their life in, what about everywhere else?

Cruz is an opportunist and frankly one of the worst things to ever happen to US politics. It is people like him (but he is certainly not alone) that have largely contributed to the political rancor and inability to compromise on ANYTHING in congress. The left has their guys too, including one in the White House, but I see no reason to continue that.

Sadly I don't see a fix on the horizon.

Simply put, those who know Ted Cruz personally not only don't like him, they loathe him. I need to find the recent article I read about him but he has a definite pattern in his life thT would support that statement.

LA Ute is too nice when he says he has some rough edges. Our president has a role that includes representing our nation to the international community and having the ability to be a diplomat. Can you imagine Trump or Cruz interacting with other world leaders? Absolute and total disaster. If they can't even interact well with a culture they've spent their life in, what about everywhere else?

Cruz is an opportunist and frankly one of the worst things to ever happen to US politics. It is people like him (but he is certainly not alone) that have largely contributed to the political rancor and inability to compromise on ANYTHING in congress. The left has their guys too, including one in the White House, but I see no reason to continue that.

Sadly I don't see a fix on the horizon.

This is my biggest issue with these guys as well. You've got to get along to get along. These clowns don't seem to have a shred of diplomacy, which would be a disaster on both the domestic and world stages.

Why Cruz has an uphill battle in the general election:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/can-te...tm_content=TWS

--Yeats

Sanders's and Clinton's Fake Middle Class

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...e-middle-class

I've always wondered what exactly is the definition of "middle class" when candidates use that term.

--Yeats

Does Donald Want to Be President?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/does-don...ent-1452297031

But even given our benign acceptance of political lying, some lying is irresponsible lying, destructive lying, lying that undermines security and order. Look hard and you might find a few demagogic lies at the foot of any politician, but Mr. Trump’s lies are particularly disturbing.

He tweeted the fantastically false statistic that 81% of murdered white people are murdered by blacks. If true, this sounds like an undeclared race war, but it’s utterly false. The vast majority (82%) of white victims are killed by other whites, according to the FBI.

Mr. Trump also persists in his claim that thousands of Muslims in Jersey City, N.J., cheered the 9/11 attacks. He says he witnessed these demonstrations on television, but there is zero evidence they took place. Mr. Trump already has expressed approval of the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II. New Jersey is a state with the highest percentage of Muslim residents, 3%. Mr. Trump is basically saying large numbers of Americans can be expected to be loyal to our enemies.

These are unfitting lies in a president. Frankly, they also don’t seem the prevarications of somebody seriously seeking the U.S. presidency, though they do seem useful if you are riding a wave and want to keep riding it.
    Read the whole thing.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Does Donald Want to Be President?

http://www.wsj.com/articles/does-don...ent-1452297031

Read the whole thing.

I wonder what will happen if Donald Trump actually wins at New Hampshire and Iowa. Could the Republican Party actually throw him out or beat him any other way? The fact that he has such a huge lead this late in the game should be very disconcerting.

I wonder what will happen if Donald Trump actually wins at New Hampshire and Iowa. Could the Republican Party actually throw him out or beat him any other way? The fact that he has such a huge lead this late in the game should be very disconcerting.
    We were talking last night about the increasing possibility that it could be Donald (or Ted) v. Bernie in the general. How would the winner ever govern?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Not gonna happen, but it would be a good reminder to everyone that it really doesn't matter as much as we tend to think.
    I dunno. The continuous expansion of the power of the executive branch via Executive Orders over the past 20-30 years is a bit disturbing. Of course, if Congress actually did anything, Presidents wouldn't feel like they need to resort to Executive Orders to get things done.

Someone else decided to wear a hijab at one of Trump's rally to see what happened. I feel like this is a very even handed description, and I think that some of her comments are insightful as to who Trump's supporters are, where they came from, and why they support Trump.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...st-caricatures

To Trump and his supporters, Asian countries have “dumped” their goods in America and almost bankrupted our country by causing our trade deficit; Mexico won’t keep “illegals” (who are the “source” for Americans’ drugs) on their side of the border; and, of course, Muslims have “always” been fighting us, and come from countries populated by ingrates who are unwilling to pay for the wars that we started on “their” behalf.

But solving our trade deficit isn’t as simple as ending the supply of cheap Asian goods that Americans so happily consume. Mexico is not going to pay us to build us a wall. The rest of the world will not stand by and let the US seize Iraq’s oilfields (and thus control a significant supply of the world’s oil).

Trump’s supporters, though, love him for his outrageous suggestions; it provides them with a sense of empowerment and control. And his lack of specificity allows each person to hear what they want to hear.

The increasing popularity of these types of events reflects the fact that Trump supporters – the people who used to be Tea Partiers, who supported Michele Bachmann or Sarah Palin or any one of a number of politicians who’ve used this rhetoric before Trump – aren’t going to go away. Whether Trump wins or loses, his supporters will still be out there, longing for another leader to “make America great again”.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I dunno. The continuous expansion of the power of the executive branch via Executive Orders over the past 20-30 years is a bit disturbing. Of course, if Congress actually did anything, Presidents wouldn't feel like they need to resort to Executive Orders to get things done.
    Orin Hatch would disagree

Quote Originally Posted by diehard ute View Post
    orin hatch would disagree

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
    lol.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Trump
    I was saying make America great again, and I actually think we can say now, and I really believe this, we're gonna get things coming... we're gonna get Apple to start building their damn computers and things in this country, instead of in other countries.
    This guy really will say anything, won't he?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    This guy really will say anything, won't he?
    I thought he was supposed to be some sort of business genius?

Sanders with a 30 point lead on Clinton in NH? The best the repubs have got is Trump and Cruz? Utah is the rational conservative state, where Trump is performing the worst? The two rational repub potential candidates of Romney and Huntsman won't step into the race and take it over?

The possibility of a Sanders v Trump election is very real, of which thing I had never supposed.

Sanders with a 30 point lead on Clinton in NH? The best the repubs have got is Trump and Cruz? Utah is the rational conservative state, where Trump is performing the worst? The two rational repub potential candidates of Romney and Huntsman won't step into the race and take it over?

The possibility of a Sanders v Trump election is very real, of which thing I had never supposed.

Stop it@! The chances of Trump v Sanders in the general election are about the same as Colorado football going undefeated in the Pac12 next year.

Stop it@! The chances of Trump v Sanders in the general election are about the same as Colorado football going undefeated in the Pac12 next year.
    I used to believe that too... but now I'm scared.